The Music Room > General Classical Music Discussion

Six favourite symphonies by (really) lesser-known composers.

<< < (55/55)

Cato:
For your consideration:  Etienne Mehul!

https://www.youtube.com/v/jH9LjmZ59dQ

Symphonic Addict:
Méhul, Onslow and Reinecke do come to my mind regarding composers from 1800-1880. I've enjoyed their respective symphonies.

foxandpeng:

--- Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 17, 2021, 07:20:56 PM ---Méhul, Onslow and Reinecke do come to my mind regarding composers from 1800-1880. I've enjoyed their respective symphonies.

--- End quote ---

+1 for Onslow. He also wrote an inordinate number of string quartets and quintets.

Irons:

--- Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 17, 2021, 05:55:36 PM ---I thought I had replied you. Sorry. Good to hear, Irons! Bentzon wrote some captivating works with a stamp of his own. I wish DaCapo could start a project to record the whole cycle (more than 20)!

--- End quote ---

For a "really lesser-known" composer there is a surprising amount of recordings available, SA. I understand piano was his forte, of which there are a few of Bentzon playing his own compositions.

--- Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 17, 2021, 05:57:22 PM ---He died in 2010. He could have been a strong conductor nowadays had he lived till these years.

--- End quote ---

Shame. Thanks for info.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version