Author Topic: Six favourite symphonies by (really) lesser-known composers.  (Read 54150 times)

SymphonicAddict

Re: Six favourite symphonies by (really) lesser-known composers.
« Reply #220 on: May 31, 2019, 03:35:38 PM »
Another list (with only first symphonies):

Fritz Brun (Switzerland) - Symphony No. 1 in B minor
Maurice Emmanuel (France) - Symphony No. 1 in A Major, Op. 18 (the No. 2 is quite good too)
Enrique Soro (Chile) - Sinfonía Romántica
Frederic Cliffe (UK) - Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Op. 1
Jef van Hoof (Belgium) - Symphony No. 1 in A major (the No. 2 and No. 4 would have been other nice choices)
Robert Hermann (Germany) - Symphony No. 1 in C major, Op. 7

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #221 on: May 31, 2019, 04:24:55 PM »
Matthijs Vermeulen: symphony no 2, Prélude à la nouvelle journée
Jean Rogister: symphony for string quartet and orchestra
Finn Mortensen: symphony (1953)
Olav Kielland: sinfonia I
Kjell Mork Karlsen: Symphony no 3 The Ice Palace (1986)
Ib Norholm: symphony no 2 Isola Bella

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #222 on: June 11, 2019, 05:07:59 PM »
Cross posted from WAYL thread:

Just listened to the 3rd symphony of the flemish composer, Arthur Meulemans. Sometimes nicknamed the "Fir Symphony" because it portrays "the fir trees gently rustling in their mysterious loneliness" and other nature inspirations. Whatever the subtext, it is an enchanting work.

SymphonicAddict

« Reply #223 on: June 11, 2019, 06:02:03 PM »
Cross posted from WAYL thread:

Just listened to the 3rd symphony of the flemish composer, Arthur Meulemans. Sometimes nicknamed the "Fir Symphony" because it portrays "the fir trees gently rustling in their mysterious loneliness" and other nature inspirations. Whatever the subtext, it is an enchanting work.

Yes, that work is sheer magic.

SymphonicAddict

« Reply #224 on: June 11, 2019, 06:07:48 PM »
6 more:

Hermann Suter (Switzerland) - Symphony in D minor
Asger Hamerik (Denmark) - Symphony No. 1 in F major Symphonie Poétique
Emil Mlynarski (Poland) - Symphony in F major Poland
Ernst Rudorff (Germany) - Symphony No. 3 in B minor
Joseph Ryelandt (Belgium) - Symphony No. 4 in E-flat minor Credo
Louis Andriessen (Netherlands) - Symfonie voor losse snaren

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #225 on: June 13, 2019, 06:48:43 PM »
Asger Hamerik (Denmark) - Symphony No. 1 in F major Symphonie Poétique

Don’t know Hamerik’s 1st, but I recently discovered his 6th (Symphonie Spirituelle) for string orchestra. What a stirring work, full of great tunes! One of the most impressive works for string orchestra I know.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SymphonicAddict

« Reply #226 on: June 15, 2019, 09:52:15 AM »
Don’t know Hamerik’s 1st, but I recently discovered his 6th (Symphonie Spirituelle) for string orchestra. What a stirring work, full of great tunes! One of the most impressive works for string orchestra I know.

Yes, that is a great one indeed! Unfortunately Hamerik wasn't completely consistent. His last symphony Choral is really dull, a waste of time to be honest.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #227 on: June 15, 2019, 11:40:39 AM »
Matthijs Vermeulen: symphony no 2, Prélude à la nouvelle journée
Jean Rogister: symphony for string quartet and orchestra
Finn Mortensen: symphony (1953)
Olav Kielland: sinfonia I
Kjell Mork Karlsen: Symphony no 3 The Ice Palace (1986)
Ib Norholm: symphony no 2 Isola Bella

Following his recent passing I'm listening to the Norholm kindly sent here by you years ago. It is very impressive indeed. I didn't realise there is a spoken contribution. Powerful and darkly atmospheric music but quite approachable as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline timwtheov

« Reply #228 on: November 23, 2021, 08:24:04 AM »
I discovered this thread a couple of months ago and have been making playlists in JRiver Media Center after abusing interlibrary loan at my university. I love it!!

One question: I'm relatively new to the forum (this is my first post), and I saw a couple of references early on in this thread to the "most hyped" Nordic composer. Who is that? Sibelius and Nielsen wouldn't be obscure enough. Aho? Langgaard?

Thanks for letting me know!

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #229 on: November 23, 2021, 08:37:43 AM »
I discovered this thread a couple of months ago and have been making playlists in JRiver Media Center after abusing interlibrary loan at my university. I love it!!

One question: I'm relatively new to the forum (this is my first post), and I saw a couple of references early on in this thread to the "most hyped" Nordic composer. Who is that? Sibelius and Nielsen wouldn't be obscure enough. Aho? Langgaard?

Thanks for letting me know!

I'm not sure who is considered the most-hyped Nordic composer!  If in doubt look at CPO's catalogue - stick a pin (pretty much at random!) into it and you'll probably end up with;

a) an obscure - quite possibly Nordic or Germanic composer
b) a symphony that is surprisingly fine
c) a performance and engineering that is likewise surprisingly fine. 

If the CPO catalogue fails to please repeat steps a-c with the Sterling catalogue which almost definitley will be Nordic but probably won't be as well played or recorded - enjoy! (and keep posting....)

Offline timwtheov

« Reply #230 on: November 24, 2021, 07:03:58 AM »
Many thanks, Roasted Swan. And yes, I know all about CPO, as I have many, many discs by them--Sterling less so, though I'm aware of them too.

Actually, it turns out the post above was my 2nd, as I'd posted in Bruckner's Abbey back in March but had totally forgotten I'd done so. Anyway, thanks again! Still want to know who that composer is, however!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 11:20:30 AM by timwtheov »

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #231 on: November 24, 2021, 08:09:22 AM »
I looked at those old pages and am pretty sure that the "most hyped GMG composer from Scandinavia" was Kurt Atterberg. Roasted Swan is correct, the best cycle of his symphonies is indeed on CPO  ;D Atterberg is one of a number of composers who are beloved on GMG vastly out of proportion to their popularity in the "real world" - others being Joly Braga Santos, Havergal Brian, Vagn Holmboe, and Nikolai Myaskovsky. Very fortunately, the real world is finally catching up to us on Martinu.

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #232 on: November 24, 2021, 08:41:07 AM »
I looked at those old pages and am pretty sure that the "most hyped GMG composer from Scandinavia" was Kurt Atterberg. Roasted Swan is correct, the best cycle of his symphonies is indeed on CPO  ;D Atterberg is one of a number of composers who are beloved on GMG vastly out of proportion to their popularity in the "real world" - others being Joly Braga Santos, Havergal Brian, Vagn Holmboe, and Nikolai Myaskovsky. Very fortunately, the real world is finally catching up to us on Martinu.
Boy, I think of him [Martinu] as being well known.   ???

PD

Offline timwtheov

« Reply #233 on: November 24, 2021, 11:11:30 AM »
Ah yes, Atterberg. Should have thought of him. I have that cycle on CPO, plus the Chandos discs, though I don't know any of them well. Putting the suggested symphonies on the requisite playlists will give me a good excuse for going back to him.

Thanks for answering and for your reviews on MusicWeb, Brian!

Offline timwtheov

« Reply #234 on: November 24, 2021, 11:19:00 AM »
On the other hand, I just looked back at Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich's post from March 24, 2009, on page 2, and he'd listed Atterberg's 3rd + "The GMG most hyPEd composer from Scandinavia - Symphony No. 6" in his (?) list of six. Maybe the capital "PE" in "hyPEd" is a clue?

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #235 on: November 24, 2021, 01:20:49 PM »
This remains my favourite recording of Atterberg's 3rd Symphony:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #236 on: November 24, 2021, 01:25:27 PM »
Here's a new list featuring different composers from those featured on my opening list.

David Diamond: Symphony No.3

Eshpai: Symphony No.5

Ruth Gipps: Symphony No.4

Daniel Jones: Symphony No.4 'In Memory of Dylan Thomas'

Rootham: Symphony No.2

Ben-Haim: Symphony No.1

Offline timwtheov

« Reply #237 on: November 24, 2021, 03:31:20 PM »
Looks like yet another great list! I'll be making a playlist of it shortly . . . .

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #238 on: November 25, 2021, 07:25:26 AM »
On the other hand, I just looked back at Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich's post from March 24, 2009, on page 2, and he'd listed Atterberg's 3rd + "The GMG most hyPEd composer from Scandinavia - Symphony No. 6" in his (?) list of six. Maybe the capital "PE" in "hyPEd" is a clue?
Pettersson?!?!?!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 07:36:32 AM by Brian »

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #239 on: November 25, 2021, 09:49:24 AM »

If only GMG was the “real world”… :'( But yeah, I agree with your observations - I would also add Langgaard to that list.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff