Six favourite symphonies by (really) lesser-known composers.

Started by vandermolen, March 23, 2009, 04:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 11, 2021, 07:12:30 PM
Please, don't be ashamed to try different composers. I have a slight hunch about how you could react to each of them.

I'm not one to shirk a challenge. 8) I will pull one from your list at random and listen with undivided attention. ;)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: Irons on December 12, 2021, 01:11:54 AM
I'm not one to shirk a challenge. 8) I will pull one from your list at random and listen with undivided attention. ;)

Niels Viggo Bentzon: 5th Symphony.

A symphony that adds up with the sum of it's parts to make a symphonic whole. What impressed me most though was the sincerity of the work, something I find lacking in many symphonies by far better known composers. Bentzon is his own man, the second movement has echoes of Richard Strauss and overall there may be some Nielsen influence but this is all slight.
I thank Cesar for introducing this work which I find impressive enough to order a copy. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

kyjo

Quote from: Irons on December 13, 2021, 08:15:12 AM

A symphony that adds up with the sum of it's parts to make a symphonic whole. What impressed me most though was the sincerity of the work, something I find lacking in many symphonies by far better known composers. Bentzon is his own man, the second movement has echoes of Richard Strauss and overall there may be some Nielsen influence but this is all slight.
I thank Cesar for introducing this work which I find impressive enough to order a copy.

Sounds most appealing, Irons. I've never heard a note of Bentzon's music - looks like it's time to change that!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Irons

Quote from: kyjo on December 13, 2021, 07:45:24 PM
Sounds most appealing, Irons. I've never heard a note of Bentzon's music - looks like it's time to change that!

Hope you enjoy as much as I did, Kyle. Dig that arresting opening. ;)

André

Quote from: Irons on December 14, 2021, 12:25:32 AM
Hope you enjoy as much as I did, Kyle. Dig that arresting opening. ;)
A superb work indeed, an A+ in my notebook  :)

Irons

Quote from: André on December 14, 2021, 06:35:53 AM
A superb work indeed, an A+ in my notebook  :)

Thanks for saying that. I was beginning to worry. :D

vandermolen

I remember enjoying this CD Lol, especially Symphony No.4
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on December 15, 2021, 10:29:03 PM
I remember enjoying this CD Lol, especially Symphony No.4

After his excellent set of the Nielsen symphonies Jeffrey I wondered what happened to Ole Schmidt. Now I know.

Symphonic Addict

I thought I had replied you. Sorry. Good to hear, Irons! Bentzon wrote some captivating works with a stamp of his own. I wish DaCapo could start a project to record the whole cycle (more than 20)!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Irons on December 15, 2021, 11:57:14 PM
After his excellent set of the Nielsen symphonies Jeffrey I wondered what happened to Ole Schmidt. Now I know.

He died in 2010. He could have been a strong conductor nowadays had he lived till these years.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Symphonic Addict

Méhul, Onslow and Reinecke do come to my mind regarding composers from 1800-1880. I've enjoyed their respective symphonies.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 17, 2021, 06:20:56 PM
Méhul, Onslow and Reinecke do come to my mind regarding composers from 1800-1880. I've enjoyed their respective symphonies.

+1 for Onslow. He also wrote an inordinate number of string quartets and quintets.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Irons

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 17, 2021, 04:55:36 PM
I thought I had replied you. Sorry. Good to hear, Irons! Bentzon wrote some captivating works with a stamp of his own. I wish DaCapo could start a project to record the whole cycle (more than 20)!

For a "really lesser-known" composer there is a surprising amount of recordings available, SA. I understand piano was his forte, of which there are a few of Bentzon playing his own compositions.

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 17, 2021, 04:57:22 PM
He died in 2010. He could have been a strong conductor nowadays had he lived till these years.

Shame. Thanks for info.

Symphonic Addict

Adding some more that provoked a very good impression on this listener:

Piet Swerts (Belgian): Symphony No. 2 'Morgenrot'
Stacy Garrop (USA): Mythology Symphony
Halvor Haug (Norwegian): Symphony No. 2
Levko Revutsky (Ukrainian): Symphony No. 2
Hirooki Ogawa (Japanese): Symphony 'Castle of Japan'
Karel Husa (Czech): Symphony No. 2
Paul Kletzki (Polish): Symphony No. 3
Johann Nepomuk David (Austrian): Symphony No. 2
Fritz Volbach (German): Symphony in B minor

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 20, 2023, 05:13:17 PMAdding some more that provoked a very good impression on this listener:

Piet Swerts (Belgian): Symphony No. 2 'Morgenrot'
Stacy Garrop (USA): Mythology Symphony
Halvor Haug (Norwegian): Symphony No. 2
Levko Revutsky (Ukrainian): Symphony No. 2
Hirooki Ogawa (Japanese): Symphony 'Castle of Japan'
Karel Husa (Czech): Symphony No. 2
Paul Kletzki (Polish): Symphony No. 3
Johann Nepomuk David (Austrian): Symphony No. 2
Fritz Volbach (German): Symphony in B minor

All new to me outside of Haug and Nepomuk David. Thank you.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Christo

Quote from: pjme on May 28, 2019, 01:05:40 AMWillem Pijper: symphony nr. 2
Willem Pijper: Symphony nr. 3
Mathijs Vermeulen: Symphony nr. 4 "Les victoires"
Eivind Groven: Symphony nr. 2
Gunther Kochan: Symphony nr. 2
Victor Kalabis: Symphony nr. 2

I hope Koechlin's mighty symphony nr. 2 will get a new (and very complete) recording
Belgian symphonies I like: Sternefeld 1 & 2 (Brueghel) , Meulemans 6 (The sea) and 12, Norbert Rosseau Symphony op. 53.

Happen to love the first four - don't know nos. 5 and 6, though I know Kalabis (never heard of Kochan though). Great to learn that you love them too!
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

DaveF

Perhaps he's too well-known, but no mention so far of Hugh Wood's splendid Symphony, Op.21:

"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

kyjo

Quote from: DaveF on December 27, 2023, 11:34:14 AMPerhaps he's too well-known, but no mention so far of Hugh Wood's splendid Symphony, Op.21:

Not too well known to me, certainly! I've never heard a note of his music. What's the Symphony like?
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

DaveF

Quote from: kyjo on January 03, 2024, 04:44:45 PMNot too well known to me, certainly! I've never heard a note of his music. What's the Symphony like?

Well, it's quite difficult to categorise.  Of British symphonists, he is probably closest to Searle and Davies, although without Max's plainsong and medieval influences.  The language is serial-ish, although not strictly, and the orchestral sound often recalls Birtwistle, although Wood's thinking is definitely symphonic (which Birtwistle's never is).  Another key influence appears to be Roberto Gerhard.  The symphony itself moves from crushingly grim to a slightly forced triumphal ending, a bit like a highly dissonant version of the ending of Brian's 9th.  Scenes from Comus, on the same disc, is an earlier piece which displays its Webernian/late Stravinskian roots a bit more obviously.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison