Six favourite symphonies by (really) lesser-known composers.

Started by vandermolen, March 23, 2009, 04:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on March 25, 2009, 08:24:45 AM
And I never heard either the MacMillan or the Vine symphony.  :o Again, many other candidates that where not yet mentioned yet (AFAICS) spring to mind:

Willem Pijper 2 (1921)
Cecil Armstrong Gibbs 3 `Westmoreland' (1943)
Jón Leifs `Saga Symphony' (1943)
Colin McPhee 2 (1957)
Ahmed Adnan Saygun 2 (1957)
Robert Simpson 9 (1987)

Armstrong Gibbs and Saygun - excellent choices. The 'Westmorland' is especially good - dedicated in memory of Armstrong Gibbs's son, killed in World War Two. I sense the impending formation of the so-called AGE (Armstrong Gibbs Experts) ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

snyprrr

this is like watching high stakes poker...I'll see your Langston Yardley Smith No.4 in g#minor...

you guys are good!!!

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on March 25, 2009, 04:19:51 PM
I sense the impending formation of the so-called AGE (Armstrong Gibbs Experts) ;D

;D

Dundonnell actually owns the recent release of Gibb's choaral symphony (the Second) Odysseus (1946). No doubt he will start a thread on the composer?  ;)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Dundonnell

Quote from: Christo on March 26, 2009, 01:20:09 AM
;D

Dundonnell actually owns the recent release of Gibb's choaral symphony (the Second) Odysseus (1946). No doubt he will start a thread on the composer?  ;)

If you are suggesting a thread about Armstrong Gibbs I could certainly start one. He is on my 'possible threads' list(along with Cooke, Fricker, Gardner, Hamilton, Jacob, Mathias, Milner, Stevens, Still....and those are just the British composers!).

Sef

Saygun (1)
Most Hyped (6)
Hartmann (6)
Langgaard (4)
Kallstenius (Dalecarlia)
Weinberg (4)

... and can I say that every one of the above was as a result of recommendations on this board - Thanks.
"Do you think that I could have composed what I have composed, do you think that one can write a single note with life in it if one sits there and pities oneself?"

Maciek

Quote from: sul G on March 24, 2009, 08:47:35 AM
Brahms is less well-known than Beethoven. I vote for him.

Ha, ha, ha. I'll second that. I especially like the last two (of the six).

Sorin Eushayson

How about John Knowles Paine's two symphonies?  I'd certainly nominate those two.  Oh, and the symphonies of Sir Franz Berwald!  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: snyprrr on March 25, 2009, 10:35:00 PM
this is like watching high stakes poker...I'll see your Langston Yardley Smith No.4 in g#minor...

you guys are good!!!

V funny  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Sef on March 26, 2009, 09:05:42 AM
Saygun (1)
Most Hyped (6)
Hartmann (6)
Langgaard (4)
Kallstenius (Dalecarlia)
Weinberg (4)

... and can I say that every one of the above was as a result of recommendations on this board - Thanks.

Weinberg Symphony 5 is his greatest I think.

Sef

Quote from: vandermolen on March 26, 2009, 03:55:19 PM
Weinberg Symphony 5 is his greatest I think.
I started with 5 a while back after a recommendation from you I believe! Just happened I was reading reviews on amazon.com for other CDs and came across 4 (with the Rhapsody on Moldavian Themes). Fell in love with it there and then.
"Do you think that I could have composed what I have composed, do you think that one can write a single note with life in it if one sits there and pities oneself?"

vandermolen

Quote from: Sef on March 26, 2009, 04:12:31 PM
I started with 5 a while back after a recommendation from you I believe! Just happened I was reading reviews on amazon.com for other CDs and came across 4 (with the Rhapsody on Moldavian Themes). Fell in love with it there and then.

Right, I shall be listening to No 4 today! The choral No 6 is my other favourite.

Daverz

I don't think these have been mentioned yet.  Some of these may not be "lesser known" enough.

Ludolf Nielsen 3
Alwyn 4
Fibich 3
Creston 3
Blomdahl 3

Somewhat more known composers:

Raff 5 (works best if you think of it as very good light music)
Sessions 3
Chausson
Arnold 5
Bliss Color Symphony
Randall Thompson 2
Chavez 4 (sounds like an hommage to Piston's 4th)
Schmidt 3 (Well the others were taken.  This one is quite different from the other 3, almost more French than Viennese, and I'm very fond of it.)
Holmboe 4

Already mentioned:

Gade 1
Braga Santos 4

Symphonists in general: Langgaard, Tubin, Miaskovsky, Weinberg/Vainberg

The one I have spinning now on the deck is pretty nice, Symphony in A by Otakar Ostrčil.

Some comments on other symphonies:

Shapero: Bernstein makes this sound like a great work.  Previn is dull.

Suk Asrael: There are several good recordings, but Kubelik makes me believe in this works greatness.  Unfortunately may be hard to find.

some guy

I've been enjoying another stroll through my collection, particularly the Musik in Deutschland treasure trove. So here's six more favourites.

Robert Kurka, #2
Poul Ruders, Symphony
Friedrich Goldmann, #1 & #3
Dieter Schnebel, Symphony pieces for large orchestra
Gunter Kochan, #5
Manfred Trojahn, #3

vandermolen

Quote from: some guy on March 28, 2009, 09:36:57 AM
I've been enjoying another stroll through my collection, particularly the Musik in Deutschland treasure trove. So here's six more favourites.

Robert Kurka, #2
Poul Ruders, Symphony
Gunter Kochan, #5
Manfred Trojahn, #3

The first two are excellent - don't know the others (yet ;D)

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on March 28, 2009, 06:36:05 AM
Suk Asrael: There are several good recordings, but Kubelik makes me believe in this works greatness.  Unfortunately may be hard to find.

I just bought the new Ashkenazy/Helsinki recording today (Ondine), which also convinces me of the work's greatness.

Teresa

Quote from: vandermolen on March 28, 2009, 03:14:18 PM
I just bought the new Ashkenazy/Helsinki recording today (Ondine), which also convinces me of the work's greatness.

I'll second that recommendation, it's also the version I have. 

Wanderer

I'm yet to be convinced; I just think it's very worthwhile (and third the Ashkenazy recommendation).

Christo

Quote from: some guy on March 28, 2009, 09:36:57 AM

Robert Kurka, #2
Poul Ruders, Symphony
Gunter Kochan, #5
Manfred Trojahn, #3

That's the sort of inspiring list I love, for I don't know any of these except for an occasional listen to Ruders'. (Always considered the Symphony dead in Germany except for Hartmann, and Germany in the 20th Century mostly a `Land ohne Musik' - taking my refuge to more civilised British and Baltic shores).  ;)

Time for my own daily update. Some more of the not-really-unknown-yet-not-universally-played-and-known-either favourites-of-mine that sprung to mind again on reading this thread:

Rued Langaard 4 `Løvfald' (1916/20) (nominated before)
Joaquin Turina Sinfonía sevillana (1920)
William Grant Still 1 `Afro-American' (1930/35)
Arthur Meulemans 3 `Dennensymfonie' (Fir Symphony) (1933) (mentioned before, I think)
Leo Smit (The Dutch composer, not his American namesake; murdered in Sobibor) `Sijmphonie in C' (1936)
Cláudio Santoro 5 (1955)

Edit: oops, had miss spelled "fir" as "fur" ....  :-\ I mean the tree though, as did this Flemish composer (whose name is translated as "Miller" BTW).

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Teresa

Quote from: Christo on March 29, 2009, 01:55:40 AM
... Time for my own daily update. Some more of the not-really-unknown-yet-not-universally-played-and-known-either favourites-of-mine that sprung to mind again on reading this thread:

Arthur Meulemans 3 `Dennensymfonie' (Fur Symphony) (1933) (mentioned before, I think)
Leo Smit (The Dutch composer, not his American namesake; murdered in Sobibor) `Sijmphonie in C' (1936)
Cláudio Santoro 5 (1955)

I really love Turina's Sinfonía sevillana and William Grant Still's `Afro-American' Symphony.  I haven't heard the others, so many new composers I've discovered thanks to this thread.  Thanks everyone!  ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on March 29, 2009, 01:55:40 AM
That's the sort of inspiring list I love, for I don't know any of these except for an occasional listen to Ruders'. (Always considered the Symphony dead in Germany except for Hartmann, and Germany in the 20th Century mostly a `Land ohne Musik' - taking my refuge to more civilised British and Baltic shores).  ;)

Time for my own daily update. Some more of the not-really-unknown-yet-not-universally-played-and-known-either favourites-of-mine that sprung to mind again on reading this thread:

Arthur Meulemans 3 `Dennensymfonie' (Fir Symphony) (1933) (mentioned before, I think)
Cláudio Santoro 5 (1955)

Edit: oops, had miss spelled "fir" as "fur" ....  :-\ I mean the tree though, as did this Flemish composer (whose name is translated as "Miller" BTW).

Yes, Langaard Symphony No 4 - my favourite of his works and a vote for nos 6 and 10 too.