Six favourite symphonies by (really) lesser-known composers.

Started by vandermolen, March 23, 2009, 04:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten thumbs

Alice Smith is lesser-known today but well regarded in her day. A Mendelssohnian Victorian whose two symphonies have the merit of containing memorable themes and I am quite happy to hear them again.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

jimmosk

What a fabulous idea for a thread, vandermolen! (Okay, I'm a bit biased...)  Here are mine, in chronological order:

George Stephanescu: Symphony in A Major (1869)
Felix Blumenfeld: Symphony in C minor, "To the Beloved Dead" (1908)
Werner Josten: Symphony in F (1936)
Sergei Bortkiewicz: Symphony No. 2 in E flat Major (1937)
Kaljo Raid: Symphony No. 1 (1944)
Jan Carlstedt: Symphony #2 "A Symphony of Brotherhood" (1969)

...now to go update my "seek out" list with recommendations from this thread!
Jim Moskowitz / The Unknown Composers Page / http://kith.org/jimmosk
---.      ---.      ---.---.---.    ---.---.---.
"On the whole, I think the whole musical world is oblivious of all the bitterness, resentment, iconoclasm, and denunciation that lies behind my music." --Percy Grainger(!)

Dundonnell

Actually, I think that this is a dreadful thread, started by a man who, not content with smuggling more and more cds into his own house in a vain attempt to conceal his ever-growing cd collection from his poor wife, is now offering an open opportunity for other people to advertise and recommend a mushrooming mass of obscure symphonies to the membership of this site ;D

The result of this will be to persuade some of us-those of us, that is, who cannot resist the temptation of acquiring such works(and, sadly, I include myself in such a group)-to seek out and purchase more and more music. This may be no great hardship-and, indeed, a source of infinite pleasure for those who can easily afford this unexpected additional expense-but for others it may result in further indebtdedness and ultimate penury.

When my pension runs out, Jeffrey, I shall blame you for leading me into adding a further substantial number of cds to my 'to buy now!' list ;D

Already ordered-within the last few minutes-is jimmosk's recommendation of Werner Josten's Symphony in F. I had never heard of Werner Josten but after reading the review-

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classRev/2001/Feb01/jungle.htm

...I knew that I just HAD to have it! ;D

Thanks, Jeffrey, and all those others who have mentioned symphonies I had never heard of!

(From a sadly insatiable 'obscure symphonies collector')

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 30, 2009, 05:09:16 PM
Actually, I think that this is a dreadful thread, started by a man who, not content with smuggling more and more cds into his own house in a vain attempt to conceal his ever-growing cd collection from his poor wife, is now offering an open opportunity for other people to advertise and recommend a mushrooming mass of obscure symphonies to the membership of this site ;D

The result of this will be to persuade some of us-those of us, that is, who cannot resist the temptation of acquiring such works(and, sadly, I include myself in such a group)-to seek out and purchase more and more music. This may be no great hardship-and, indeed, a source of infinite pleasure for those who can easily afford this unexpected additional expense-but for others it may result in further indebtdedness and ultimate penury.

When my pension runs out, Jeffrey, I shall blame you for leading me into adding a further substantial number of cds to my 'to buy now!' list ;D

Already ordered-within the last few minutes-is jimmosk's recommendation of Werner Josten's Symphony in F. I had never heard of Werner Josten but after reading the review-

Thanks, Jeffrey, and all those others who have mentioned symphonies I had never heard of!

(From a sadly insatiable 'obscure symphonies collector')

hehe - but I think that this is clearly a case of 'the pot calling the kettle black' - Simonsen, Arthur Butterworth, Bo Linde, Ludvig Jensen etcetcetc (both CDs arrived today - fortunately Katy is away  ;D)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: jimmosk on March 30, 2009, 03:54:55 PM
What a fabulous idea for a thread, vandermolen! (Okay, I'm a bit biased...)  Here are mine, in chronological order:

George Stephanescu: Symphony in A Major (1869)
Felix Blumenfeld: Symphony in C minor, "To the Beloved Dead" (1908)
Werner Josten: Symphony in F (1936)
Sergei Bortkiewicz: Symphony No. 2 in E flat Major (1937)
Kaljo Raid: Symphony No. 1 (1944)
Jan Carlstedt: Symphony #2 "A Symphony of Brotherhood" (1969)

...now to go update my "seek out" list with recommendations from this thread!

Thank you! Unlike Colin you clearly recognise an A1 thread when you see it  :)

Very interesting choice, although I know few of them - Kaljo Raid's Symphony was on my list too. A moving and powerful score in the spirit of his teacher - the great Tubin.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

I suspect that you know where "the pot"'s tongue was lodged, Jeffrey ;D

vandermolen

Christo

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 30, 2009, 05:09:16 PM

Werner Josten! As soon as I read this review, I realized I once played his The Jungle, possibly over 30 years ago and probably this very same recording. And I vaguely rembember to have enjoyed it. It feels like An Old Memory Found It's Way Back Home Again. So I, too, ordered for this cd.  ;)

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Dundonnell

Quote from: Christo on March 31, 2009, 01:26:44 PM
Werner Josten! As soon as I read this review, I realized I once played his The Jungle, possibly over 30 years ago and probably this very same recording. And I vaguely rembember to have enjoyed it. It feels like An Old Memory Found It's Way Back Home Again. So I, too, ordered for this cd.  ;)

We shall compare notes in due course then ;D

snyprrr

OK, maybe you guys can help me.

Let's say my fav syms. are HARRIS NO.3, SIBELIUS No.7, MARTINU No.6 and the opening of PETTERSSON No.8.  Does that give you an idea of what I'm looking for?

Which of the syms. already mentioned fit this mold?

Christo

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 31, 2009, 01:43:34 PM
We shall compare notes in due course then ;D

At the Josten's Jungle thread perpaps, started by you.  ;) But really, I think I never read his name anymore, in a timespan of some 30 years. Amazing, a composer completely forgotten, though my New Grove's has a substantial entry on this American composer of German birth (1885-1963, American citizen since the ominous year 1933).

As I don't feel qualified to answer snyprrr's question (I love Martinů's Fantaisies symphoniques but am less familiar with the other three, not even Sibelius 7 ...  :-X), let me add some more titles for Kathy's Secret Christmas Presents List:

Portugal: Luís de Freitas Branco 1 (1924)
Uk: Granville Bantock, Celtic Symphony (1940)
New Zealand: Douglas Lilburn 2 (1951)
UK: Elisabeth Maconcy, Symphony for Double String Orchestra (1953)
Azerbaijan: Kara Karayev 3 (1964)
Hungary: Antal Doráti 2 `Querela Pacis' (c 1985)

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: snyprrr on March 31, 2009, 05:55:57 PM
OK, maybe you guys can help me.

Let's say my fav syms. are HARRIS NO.3, SIBELIUS No.7, MARTINU No.6 and the opening of PETTERSSON No.8.  Does that give you an idea of what I'm looking for?

Which of the syms. already mentioned fit this mold?

Some, which come to mind, although they may not have been mentioned yet are:

Lilburn symphonies 1 and 2 (on Naxos)
Kinsella Symphony 3 (Marco Polo)
Moeran Symphony (EMI/Naxos etc)
William Schuman Symphony 3 (Naxos)
Robin Orr: Symphony in One ovement (EMI)
Rubbra: Symphony No 5 (EMI/Chandos)

snyprrr

OK...yes...haven't heard Lilburn or Kinsella (though, after THIS thread, the are now certainly not reallly lesser known :D)

Popped in my head- Colin McPhee Sym. No2

I think I have it on a Canadien cd...EVERYTHING on that album is beautifully Pacific...very much like Diamond's Sym. 4.

I feel the need to say that I "discovered" the Gorecki No.3 (on KochSchwann) while he WAS still reallly really unknown....so.....

there!

snyprrr

not even Sibelius 7 ...  :-X),
[/quote] :o :o :o

No?.....really?....uh :o...shocking!!! $:)

Christo

Quote from: snyprrr on April 01, 2009, 11:19:57 AM
not even Sibelius 7 ...  :-X),
:o :o :o

No?.....really?....uh :o...shocking!!! $:)

It is.  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-[ :-[ :-\ :-\ :-\ :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( ::) 8) :-X :-X :-X :-\ :'(

But.

At least I can say I admire Sibelius 4 and 5, Tapiola, Luonnotar. And that I love the early Sibelius as e.g. the programmatic symphonies (both Kullervo and Lemminkäinen, but the latter did'nt survive as a symphony and is only known as a couple of seperate pieces).

(At the other hand: I never overcame my total shock at hearing Sibelius 1-3, especially the Second Symphony, a symphony that I found utterly vulgar 30 years ago, and I still hold to that extraordinary opinion). I am very sorry indeed.)  :-X ;) :)

techniquest

I agree that a thread like this can be rather tough on the wallet! My six at the moment would be:

Karen Khachaturian - Symphony No.4
Cornelis Dopper - Symphony No.7
Langgaard - Symphony No.11 "Ixion"
Yoshimatsu - Symphony No.2 "At Terra"
Alexander Tchaikovsky - Symphony No.4
Jay Greenberg - Symphony No.5

Dundonnell

Quote from: Christo on April 01, 2009, 12:12:49 PM
It is.  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-[ :-[ :-\ :-\ :-\ :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( ::) 8) :-X :-X :-X :-\ :'(

But.

At least I can say I admire Sibelius 4 and 5, Tapiola, Luonnotar. And that I love the early Sibelius as e.g. the programmatic symphonies (both Kullervo and Lemminkäinen, but the latter did'nt survive as a symphony and is only known as a couple of seperate pieces).

(At the other hand: I never overcame my total shock at hearing Sibelius 1-3, especially the Second Symphony, a symphony that I found utterly vulgar 30 years ago, and I still hold to that extraordinary opinion). I am very sorry indeed.)  :-X ;) :)

I too am speechless that you seem to be unfamiliar with the Sibelius 7th, Johan! A work of pure genius :)

(Actually...don't spread it around...but I am not keen on the Sibelius 2nd either :) When I was a teenager I had a friend who used to play it so often that I got utterly sick of the piece and that feeling has never gone away ;D)

Xenophanes

Boyce, Symphony No. 1

Kraus, Symphony in C Major, "Violin obbligato," VB 138

Vanhal, Symphony in A Major, Bryan A9

Berwald, Symphony No. 3

Mayuzumi, Nirvana Symphony

Hovhaness, Symphony No. 50, "Mount St. Helen's

Lilburn wrote 3 nice symphonies, but I'm over the limit.

vandermolen

Quote from: snyprrr on April 01, 2009, 11:15:59 AM
OK...yes...haven't heard Lilburn or Kinsella (though, after THIS thread, the are now certainly not reallly lesser known :D)

Popped in my head- Colin McPhee Sym. No2

I think I have it on a Canadien cd...EVERYTHING on that album is beautifully Pacific...very much like Diamond's Sym. 4.

I feel the need to say that I "discovered" the Gorecki No.3 (on KochSchwann) while he WAS still reallly really unknown....so.....

there!

I too discovered the Gorecki when it was largely unknown. I got into a long conversation about music with the coach driver during a school trip I was accompanying many years ago. He sent me a tape of the symphony. I was a bit put out when it entered the pop music charts :o

I used to not like Sibelius's 2nd Symphony but have learned to appreciate it recently - especially the ending and especially in Beecham's recordings. Nice to see a recommendation for Yoshimatsu's Second Symphony 'At Terra'.

Brian

Quote from: techniquest on April 01, 2009, 12:51:49 PM
Karen Khachaturian - Symphony No.4
Alexander Tchaikovsky - Symphony No.4
I sense a "famous composer's namesakes" trend. You should try Boris Tchaikovsky, too.  :)