Six favourite symphonies by (really) lesser-known composers.

Started by vandermolen, March 23, 2009, 04:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on May 29, 2009, 01:09:15 AM
Yes, I will not be playing the Tobacco Captain again!

Two great new discoveries thanks to Greg:

Stale Kleiberg: Symphony No 1: The Bell Reef (1991) which commemorates the sinking of a ship, in 1537 (we history teachers like dates) carrying five bells destined for a Stavanger Cathedral - the bells could then, according to legend, sometimes be heard chiming beneath the waves - wonderfully atmospheric and deeply moving score, especially the last movement which features the chiming bells between the waves.

Yngve Skold: Symphony No 2 (1937)

I pushed the Kleiberg on here some months ago, Jeffrey-

"Stale Kleiberg(born 1958) is a Norwegian composer of whom I had never heard until a few days ago. Thank you, J.

This magical cd should be a must buy if you can find it!!

Two symphonies-No.1 "The Bell Reef" and No.2 "Kammersymfoni"-and a 'Lamento-Cissi Klein in memoriam'(a short moving memorial to a 13 year old Jewish girl deported from Trondheim to die in Auschwitz).

Kleiberg's music is a revelation! The best word I can use to describe it is pellucid. There is a gorgeous crystalline clarity which is a wonderful mixture of Debussy and Bax(particularly in "Bell Reef"  Symphony) but refracted through the prism of a gentle post-modern expressionism. As the review below says, there are even a few passages which recall Moeran!

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classRev/2004/Jan04/Kleiberg.htm

Strongly recommended!"

I have the Skold on my shelves but can remember nothing about it! Another cd to replay ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on May 29, 2009, 04:05:59 AM
I pushed the Kleiberg on here some months ago, Jeffrey-

"Stale Kleiberg(born 1958) is a Norwegian composer of whom I had never heard until a few days ago. Thank you, J.

This magical cd should be a must buy if you can find it!!

Two symphonies-No.1 "The Bell Reef" and No.2 "Kammersymfoni"-and a 'Lamento-Cissi Klein in memoriam'(a short moving memorial to a 13 year old Jewish girl deported from Trondheim to die in Auschwitz).

Kleiberg's music is a revelation! The best word I can use to describe it is pellucid. There is a gorgeous crystalline clarity which is a wonderful mixture of Debussy and Bax(particularly in "Bell Reef"  Symphony) but refracted through the prism of a gentle post-modern expressionism. As the review below says, there are even a few passages which recall Moeran!

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classRev/2004/Jan04/Kleiberg.htm

Strongly recommended!"

I have the Skold on my shelves but can remember nothing about it! Another cd to replay ;D

Excellent description Colin! Yes, I think that I can remember that it was you (what a surprise!) who first alerted me to the Kleiberg.  At the time I seem to recall that it was only available at c £25 on the Internet (which I can't afford even on my huge teacher's salary  ::)). However it now seems to have come down (c£12) and Greg ('J') has very kindly sent me a copy.

The Skold Symphony No 2 is a rather endearing work which reminds me of Madetoja and Petterson-Berger. Worth another listen I think.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Ok, ok - I ordered for the Ståle Kleiberg cd and hope you'll learn to spell his name  ;) and I'll be able to enjoy this music (have been ordering other recommendations, as e.g. Rudolph Simonsens' "Zion" symphony that Robert Hurwitz finds, quote: "ugly, contrapuntal, uninterestingly scored stuff, severely lacking focus and continuity" unquote.  0:)

In the meantime, some more personal favourite symphonies by lesser-known composers sprung to mind. For example:

Elisabeth Maconchy (1907-1994), Symphony for Double String Orchestra (1953)
Villem Kapp (1913-1964), Symphony No. 2 (1955)
Colin McPhee (1900-1964), Symphony No. 2 (1957)
Arnold Cooke (1906-2005), Symphony No. 3 (1967)
Claudio Santoro (1918-1989), Symphony No. 9 (1982)
Victor Legley (1915-1994), Symphony No. 8 (1994) - courtesy Peter `pjme'  :)

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Dundonnell

Quote from: Christo on June 01, 2009, 11:54:38 AM
Ok, ok - I ordered for the Ståle Kleiberg cd and hope you'll learn to spell his name  ;) and I'll be able to enjoy this music (have been ordering other recommendations, as e.g. Rudolph Simonsens' "Zion" symphony that Robert Hurwitz finds, quote: "ugly, contrapuntal, uninterestingly scored stuff, severely lacking focus and continuity" unquote.  0:)

In the meantime, some more personal favourite symphonies by lesser-known composers sprung to mind. For example:

I would spell Kleiberg's first name properly if I knew how to use my computer keyboard to register the little 'o' above the 'a', Johan :)

Meantime, perhaps you would care to note that Mr. Hurwitz's first name is 'David' not 'Robert' ;D (He is quite wrong about Simonsen anyway!)

vandermolen

Johan,

What is Claudio Santoro's music like and also Victor Legley? I'm sure you'll enjoy the Simonsen 'Zion' and 'Hellas' symphonies and Kleiberg's Bell Reef.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 02, 2009, 11:42:05 PM
Johan,

What is Claudio Santoro's music like and also Victor Legley? I'm sure you'll enjoy the Simonsen 'Zion' and 'Hellas' symphonies and Kleiberg's Bell Reef.

Santoro is not unlike Guarnieri and like him, his earlier symphonies (I only know nos. 4 and 5) are more folk-song inspired and his later more abstract, neoclassicist with some modernist features. But, like Guarnieri's Fifth and Sixth, and also the later Ginastera, who undertook something similar but didn't write symphonies, the result is very convincing.

As for Victor Legley, you perhaps better inform with Peter (pmje), as he sent me this very "French" symphony by a Flemish composer (nothwithstanding his French name) - that I played during my stay in the French and Belgian Ardennes, a few weeks ago, among some other local composers. My first reason to mention it is simply bluff; but I liked it genuinely enough to be convinced of the composer's fine craftmanshipl.

Yes I like Rudolph Simonsen so far, more so at least than David Hurwitz.  ;) But unlike you, I seem to prefer the Second, Hellas. Which, afer all, won him a bronze medal at the 1928 Amsterdam Olympics.  ;) Will play it again after the Maconchy cd is finished ...  0:)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on June 03, 2009, 12:04:47 AM
Santoro is not unlike Guarnieri and like him, his earlier symphonies (I only know nos. 4 and 5) are more folk-song inspired and his later more abstract, neoclassicist with some modernist features. But, like Guarnieri's Fifth and Sixth, and also the later Ginastera, who undertook something similar but didn't write symphonies, the result is very convincing.

As for Victor Legley, you perhaps better inform with Peter (pmje), as he sent me this very "French" symphony by a Flemish composer (nothwithstanding his French name) - that I played during my stay in the French and Belgian Ardennes, a few weeks ago, among some other local composers. My first reason to mention it is simply bluff; but I liked it genuinely enough to be convinced of the composer's fine craftmanshipl.

Yes I like Rudolph Simonsen so far, more so at least than David Hurwitz.  ;) But unlike you, I seem to prefer the Second, Hellas. Which, afer all, won him a bronze medal at the 1928 Amsterdam Olympics.  ;) Will play it again after the Maconchy cd is finished ...  0:)

Thanks Johan,

No, I too prefer Simonsen's 'Hellas Symphony' - especially the beautiful slow movement, but I am growing to appreciate the Nielsen's 'Helios' quality of parts of the 'Zion' Symphony too.  Guarnieri Symphony 2 and 3 are favourites of mine.

vandermolen

Ok, ok - I ordered for the Ståle Kleiberg cd and hope you'll learn to spell his name  ;) and I'll be able to enjoy this music (have been ordering other recommendations, as e.g. Rudolph Simonsens' "Zion" symphony that Robert Hurwitz finds, quote: "ugly, contrapuntal, uninterestingly scored stuff, severely lacking focus and continuity" unquote.  0:)

Victor Legley (1915-1994), Symphony No. 8 (1994) - courtesy Peter `pjme'  :)

I have listed to Santoro's 4th Symphony, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It reminded me of Paul Creston (Symphony No 2), Guarnieri and even a bit of our old friend Braga Santos - a nice discovery. The inspiriting choral last movement reminded me of Vaughan Williams in places.

The new erato

Quote from: vandermolen on June 03, 2009, 03:05:37 AM
Thanks Johan,

No, I too prefer Simonsen's 'Hellas Symphony' - especially the beautiful slow movement, but I am growing to appreciate the Nielsen's 'Helios' quality of parts of the 'Zion' Symphony too. 
I was waiting for a cpo offer to buy this, and finally ordered it on europadisc. It will be nice to finally hear for oneself, pace Hurwitz.

vandermolen

Quote from: erato on June 05, 2009, 03:47:18 AM
I was waiting for a cpo offer to buy this, and finally ordered it on europadisc. It will be nice to finally hear for oneself, pace Hurwitz.

Let us know what you think (slow movement of 'Hellas' is beautiful IMHO)

schweitzeralan

Quote from: vandermolen on March 23, 2009, 04:21:40 AM
OK, I have started this for purely selfish reasons; to see if I can discover another great symphony by a 'sadly-neglected' composer. Here are my six. I have tried to include works by composers of different nationalities - but this is not a 'rule' for the thread:

Cyril Rootham: Symphony No 1 (British) Lyrita CD

Kaljo Raid: Symphony No 1 (Estonian) Chandos CD

Klaus Egge: Symphony No 1 (Norwegian) Aurora CD

Ross Edwards: Symphony No 1 'Da pacem Domine' (Australian) ABC CD

Rudolph Simonsen: Symphony No 2 'Hellas' (Danish) CPO CD

Douglas Lilburn: Symphony No 1 (New Zealander) Naxos/Kiwi Pacific/Continuum CD

I like the Lyatoshinsky 1st. Perhaps he's not all that obscure.  Very Glieresque, dramatic and relatively lyrical, not like his later somewhat expressionistic symphonic works.

Lilas Pastia

Tournemire and Sauguet are not exactly unknown, but they're certainly unsung.  I'd choose Tournemire 8 and Sauguet 1. I'd add Thierry Escaich 1, Jaz Coleman's 1st, Kinsella 3 ("Joie de vivre"), Ib Norholm 2, Heininen 3 and Eliasson 1. Oh, and Daniel Jones 8 (or 6, or 9).

Was Hoddinott mentioned? In any case he's not exactly unknown.

vandermolen

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on June 05, 2009, 05:48:21 PM
Tournemire and Sauguet are not exactly unknown, but they're certainly unsung.  I'd choose Tournemire 8 and Sauguet 1. I'd add Thierry Escaich 1, Jaz Coleman's 1st, Kinsella 3 ("Joie de vivre"), Ib Norholm 2, Heininen 3 and Eliasson 1. Oh, and Daniel Jones 8 (or 6, or 9).

Was Hoddinott mentioned? In any case he's not exactly unknown.

A vote from me too for Sauguet's 'Expiatoire' (Symphony No 1) a great work written in response to the sufferings of the French in WW 2 and from Sauguet's 'guilt' at being unable to alleviate such sufferings. The closing sections are very moving. Also for Jaz Coleman's Symphony (thanks to Andre  :)), Kinsella's 3rd (bit like Tubin/Lilburn) and the Daniel Jones symphonies mentioned. Also I'd add Grace Williams Symphony No 2 (influenced by her teacher - Vaughan Williams's Symphony No 4). Tournemire No 8 yes,yes (I like all the ones I know).

The new erato

Holy crap - this thread is dangerous. If you all provided  "buy here" links to your recommendations I would be living in my dogs house now.

vandermolen

Quote from: erato on June 06, 2009, 12:34:47 AM
Holy crap - this thread is dangerous. If you all prvioded  "buy here" links to your recommendations I would be living in my dogs house now.

I live their already  ;D

The new erato

Am I the only one having this:  ;D

Well reviewed here: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classRev/2003/Aug03/syberg_symphony.htm and in Fanfare in its time, but I haven't heard it for years so don't really have an opinion.

vandermolen

Quote from: erato link=topic=11783.msg316719# msg316719 date=1244279049
Am I the only one having this:  ;D

Well reviewed here: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classRev/2003/Aug03/syberg_symphony.htm and in Fanfare in its time, but I haven't heard it for years so don't really have an opinion.

Thanks for posting this - never heard of him but the painting with cat on lap is a promising sign  8). Unfortunately this CD only seems to be available at full price (from Crotchett in the UK) - so I will hold off for now. Certainly the Musicweb review suggests that Syberg is a composer worth exploring. There is a CD (at budget price) of music for oboe and string orchestra etc.

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on June 06, 2009, 01:53:26 AM
Thanks for posting this - never heard of him but the painting with cat on lap is a promising sign  8). Unfortunately this CD only seems to be available at full price (from Crotchett in the UK) - so I will hold off for now. Certainly the Musicweb review suggests that Syberg is a composer worth exploring. There is a CD (at budget price) of music for oboe and string orchestra etc.

Yes..but guess who just went ahead and ordered it anyway ::)

The new erato

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 06, 2009, 03:07:39 AM
Well, good to see I could return some punches!

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 06, 2009, 03:07:39 AM

Thanks for being our guinea pig :D. A full appraisal will be in order !