Six favourite symphonies by (really) lesser-known composers.

Started by vandermolen, March 23, 2009, 04:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 06, 2009, 03:07:39 AM
Yes..but guess who just went ahead and ordered it anyway ::)

My nerve went - I have ordered it too  ::). I shall take a very dim view if Colin has the last copy  >:(

erato - I hope that you are ashamed of yourself for feeding our OCCDCD (Obsessive Compulsive CD Collecting Disorder).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

schweitzeralan

Quote from: Dundonnell on May 29, 2009, 04:05:59 AM
I pushed the Kleiberg on here some months ago, Jeffrey-

"Stale Kleiberg(born 1958) is a Norwegian composer of whom I had never heard until a few days ago. Thank you, J.

This magical cd should be a must buy if you can find it!!

Two symphonies-No.1 "The Bell Reef" and No.2 "Kammersymfoni"-and a 'Lamento-Cissi Klein in memoriam'(a short moving memorial to a 13 year old Jewish girl deported from Trondheim to die in Auschwitz).

Kleiberg's music is a revelation! The best word I can use to describe it is pellucid. There is a gorgeous crystalline clarity which is a wonderful mixture of Debussy and Bax(particularly in "Bell Reef"  Symphony) but refracted through the prism of a gentle post-modern expressionism. As the review below says, there are even a few passages which recall Moeran!

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classRev/2004/Jan04/Kleiberg.htm

Strongly recommended!"

I have the Skold on my shelves but can remember nothing about it! Another cd to replay ;D

Just ordered it; always looking for potetial new recordings.  I like the Bax/Debussy/Moeran mentions.  Will give it a try.

schweitzeralan

Quote from: vandermolen on June 05, 2009, 03:25:14 AM
I have listed to Santoro's 4th Symphony, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It reminded me of Paul Creston (Symphony No 2), Guarnieri and even a bit of our old friend Braga Santos - a nice discovery. The inspiriting choral last movement reminded me of Vaughan Williams in places.
Any composers that you may know whose works are similar to those of Colin McPee? I have several works by this Canadian composer who and taught, I believe, in California.  His work tends to be quite colorful, modal, and impressionistic in places.  Expressioism,serialism, bitonality have slipped in my preferences to date. McPhee is a dedicated coservative who encapsulated and developed Balinese folk music.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: schweitzeralan on June 07, 2009, 04:23:01 AM
Any composers that you may know whose works are similar to those of Colin McPee? I have several works by this Canadian composer who and taught, I believe, in California.  His work tends to be quite colorful, modal, and impressionistic in places.  Expressioism,serialism, bitonality have slipped in my preferences to date. McPhee is a dedicated coservative who encapsulated and developed Balinese folk music.

Ok, I have my only McPhee CD playing at the moment - Tabuh-Tabuhan (great piece!) with old Howard Hanson conducting. Two composers come to mind -one is Carlos Chavez (and I was then very interested to discover that Chavez conducted the first performance of Tabuh-Tabuhan!) Do you know Sinfonia India by Chavez? You might like that.  The other composer who immediately came to mind was John Foulds - you might like his 'Three Mantras'.

schweitzeralan

Quote from: vandermolen on June 07, 2009, 05:37:14 AM
Ok, I have my only McPhee CD playing at the moment - Tabuh-Tabuhan (great piece!) with old Howard Hanson conducting. Two composers come to mind -one is Carlos Chavez (and I was then very interested to discover that Chavez conducted the first performance of Tabuh-Tabuhan!) Do you know Sinfonia India by Chavez? You might like that.  The other composer who immediately came to mind was John Foulds - you might like his 'Three Mantras'.

Thanks for the response.  I know of Chavez but am unfamiliar with his works.  I also discovered that I have an original MacPhee work by the Louisville Orchestra.  A favorite.

Christo

Quote from: erato on June 06, 2009, 01:04:09 AM
Am I the only one having this:  ;D

Well reviewed here: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classRev/2003/Aug03/syberg_symphony.htm and in Fanfare in its time, but I haven't heard it for years so don't really have an opinion.

I have it, together with the other Syberg cd. Remember that I liked it in similar terms as described on the musicweb site, but couldn't find anyone in this forum with a similar experience. I do remember Vandermolen didn't know it - and that's what he's repeating here (so he actually forgot that we tried to discuss it - genuine proof of his `not knowing Syberg'.  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on June 08, 2009, 12:08:55 AM
I have it, together with the other Syberg cd. Remember that I liked it in similar terms as described on the musicweb site, but couldn't find anyone in this forum with a similar experience. I do remember Vandermolen didn't know it - and that's what he's repeating here (so he actually forgot that we tried to discuss it - genuine proof of his `not knowing Syberg'.  8)

I have no memory of such a conversation - I expect that you hallucinated the whole episode  ;D

schweitzeralan

Quote from: vandermolen on March 23, 2009, 04:21:40 AM
OK, I have started this for purely selfish reasons; to see if I can discover another great symphony by a 'sadly-neglected' composer. Here are my six. I have tried to include works by composers of different nationalities - but this is not a 'rule' for the thread:

Cyril Rootham: Symphony No 1 (British) Lyrita CD

Kaljo Raid: Symphony No 1 (Estonian) Chandos CD

Klaus Egge: Symphony No 1 (Norwegian) Aurora CD

Ross Edwards: Symphony No 1 'Da pacem Domine' (Australian) ABC CD

Rudolph Simonsen: Symphony No 2 'Hellas' (Danish) CPO CD

Douglas Lilburn: Symphony No 1 (New Zealander) Naxos/Kiwi Pacific/Continuum CD

An unknown composer now who was probably well acquainted with the French musical culture during his lifetime, Phillipe Gaubert's "Symphonie In F," along with his "Chants de la Mer" contain some marvelous moments.  I personally like the Debussyian influence which are quite prominent in the "Symphonie."  There are also many D'Indy influences.  If there is anyone out there who loves impressionism and likes Debussy, I recommend this work. The few moments for me outweigh the ongoing tedium of many of the accompanying works.

Lilas Pastia

Good rec, schweitzeralan, I'll try to locate that. Another fine 'Sean Symphony' is that of Paul Gilson. A belgian composer, Gilson was born in 1865, a banner year for classical music (Nielsen, Sibelius, Dukas were also born in that year). It's a 4 movement work with descriptive subtitles, each conforming to the standard pattern (Allegretto, allegro etc). I think it has been recorded a few times. Mine is with the Belgian Radio and Television Philharmonic under Rickenbacher. Not a masterpiece, but a very well crafted and peasant work. On this disc it's coupled with another obscure symphony, by August de Boeck. Coincidentally, the latter is also belgian and was born in 1865 too!

Dundonnell

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on June 08, 2009, 10:17:33 AM
Good rec, schweitzeralan, I'll try to locate that. Another fine 'Sean Symphony' is that of Paul Gilson. A belgian composer, Gilson was born in 1865, a banner year for classical music (Nielsen, Sibelius, Dukas were also born in that year). It's a 4 movement work with descriptive subtitles, each conforming to the standard pattern (Allegretto, allegro etc). I think it has been recorded a few times. Mine is with the Belgian Radio and Television Philharmonic under Rickenbacher. Not a masterpiece, but a very well crafted and peasant work. On this disc it's coupled with another obscure symphony, by August de Boeck. Coincidentally, the latter is also belgian and was born in 1865 too!

'Sean Symphony' ??? If you mean 'Sea Symphony', Andre, then I presume that you are referring to Gilson's composition 'The Sea'. The question is whether or not it is actually a symphony. Gilson himself called it 'Four Symphonic Sketches'.

Sorry if I am being pedantic :)

The new erato

Sean has made me confused as well, a long time ago.

vandermolen

Quote from: schweitzeralan on June 08, 2009, 07:22:16 AM
An unknown composer now who was probably well acquainted with the French musical culture during his lifetime, Phillipe Gaubert's "Symphonie In F," along with his "Chants de la Mer" contain some marvelous moments.  I personally like the Debussyian influence which are quite prominent in the "Symphonie."  There are also many D'Indy influences.  If there is anyone out there who loves impressionism and likes Debussy, I recommend this work. The few moments for me outweigh the ongoing tedium of many of the accompanying works.

Have ordered 'Chants de la Mer'  ::)

jimmosk

I have that Syberg disc, and for me the real winner isn't the symphony, but the 1934 Sinfonietta. It manages to link Nielsen and Holmboe (and dates from a year before Holmboe's First), with a bracing but melodically interesting style.  The symphony, from five years later, isn't really any more advanced, but I find it aimless where the sinfonietta is gripping. The third work on the disc, his Adagio for Strings, has a lot of Nielsen but some sentimental Grieglike moments too. I enjoy the disc as a whole, but it's that 1934 work that I return to most often.

Jim Moskowitz / The Unknown Composers Page / http://kith.org/jimmosk
---.      ---.      ---.---.---.    ---.---.---.
"On the whole, I think the whole musical world is oblivious of all the bitterness, resentment, iconoclasm, and denunciation that lies behind my music." --Percy Grainger(!)

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 08, 2009, 10:31:57 AM
'Sean Symphony' ??? If you mean 'Sea Symphony', Andre, then I presume that you are referring to Gilson's composition 'The Sea'. The question is whether or not it is actually a symphony. Gilson himself called it 'Four Symphonic Sketches'.

Sorry if I am being pedantic :)

What's in a typo  ;D ? In any case, as with other overtly or vaguely programmatic works such as the Pastorale, Fantastique, Italian or Alpine symphonies, we're treading an interesting territory, where impressions mattter as much as intentions. I quote the notes to the Discover disc of Gilson's  "De Zee":
Quote"The Sea is usually considered a programmatic symphony. The order of the four movements does indeed correspond to the conventional scheme. The cyclic use of the principal theme lends a strong sense of unity to the whole. However, it is obvious that the key in this work must be sought in its poetic and visual imagery. As in Claude Debussy's  immortal masterwork of the same title composed ten years later, the title suggest the composer's expressive intentions, although literal description of exact details is not intended"

vandermolen

Message from Crotchet: Syberg 'No longer available'.  I bet that Colin has the last copy  >:(

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 10, 2009, 02:57:55 AM
Message from Crotchet: Syberg 'No longer available'.  I bet that Colin has the last copy  >:(

Some time, in the next threehundred years probably, I'll try to make a copy and send it you.  8)  0:)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948