Six favourite symphonies by (really) lesser-known composers.

Started by vandermolen, March 23, 2009, 04:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: stevenski on August 06, 2009, 10:54:41 AM
Paderewski Polonia Symphony

The Polonia is scheduled for rerelease on Hyperions Helios bargain label in January. I will be sure to buy it then.

schweitzeralan

Quote from: vandermolen on March 31, 2009, 12:03:17 PM
Thank you! Unlike Colin you clearly recognise an A1 thread when you see it  :)

Very interesting choice, although I know few of them - Kaljo Raid's Symphony was on my list too. A moving and powerful score in the spirit of his teacher - the great Tubin.
I was reviewing previous threads and came across this posting which included a work by Estonian Kaljo Raid.  I did some online research and read some reviews.  Similar composers include, among others: Hanson, Sibelius, Bax, and Walton, among others.  I also gleaned or noticed that Blumenfeld wrote a symphony.  Will check.

12tone.

Yehudi Menuhin:  Symphony #43 in D major, Op.723 

The 25 soloists, pipe organ and Mahlerian-sized orchestra gets crazy-loud!

The new erato

Quote from: 12tone. on October 10, 2010, 12:03:46 PM
Yehudi Menuhin:  Symphony #43 in D major, Op.723 

The 25 soloists, pipe organ and Mahlerian-sized orchestra gets crazy-loud!
Please, don't screw up this valuable thread.

Harry

Quote from: erato on October 17, 2009, 08:33:44 AM
The Polonia is scheduled for rerelease on Hyperions Helios bargain label in January. I will be sure to buy it then.

I bought it in the please buy me section, and its worth every penny of your money.

kyjo

Hope these are "really lesser-known" enough! ;)

Emil Bohnke (1888-1928): Symphony (Koch CD)
Adolphe Biarent (1871-1916): Symphony in D minor (Musique en Wallonie CD)
Alberto Williams (1872-1952): Symphony no. 7 in D major Eterno Reposo (Arte Nova CD)
Siegmund von Hausegger (1872-1948): Natursymphonie (CPO CD)
Claudio Santoro (1919-1989): Symphony no. 4 (BIS CD)
Evgeni Golubev (1910-1988): Symphony no. 5 in A minor (on YouTube only)

Don't worry, more to come! 0:)

kyjo

I'll probably end up self-resuscitating this thread! :laugh:

Stjepan Sulek (1914-1986): Symphony no. 8 (on YT only)
Vaclav Dobias (1909-1978): Symphony no. 2 (Supraphon CD)
Rudolph Simonsen (1889-1947): Symphony no. 2 Hellas (CPO CD)
Mikuláš Schneider-Trnavský (1881-1958): Symphony in E minor Remembrance (on YT only)
Jean Martinon (1910-1976) (yes, the conductor): Symphony no. 2 Hymne a la Vie (on YT only)
Gunter Raphael (1903-1960): Choral Symphony Von der Grossen Weisheit (CPO CD)

kyjo

Oh Jeffrey, where art thou, O savior of threads about super-obscure composers? ;)

Eivind Groven (1901-1977): Symphony no. 1 To the Mountains (BIS CD)
Adolfs Skulte (1909-2000): Symphony no. 5 (on YT only)
AJ Potter (1918-1980): Sinfonia da Requiem (Marco Polo CD)
Ernst Pepping (1901-1981): Symphony no. 2 (CPO CD)
Manolis Kalomiris (1883-1962): Symphony no. 1 Levendia (Of Manliness) (Koch CD)
Julius Juzeliunas (1916-2001): Symphony no. 2 (on YT only)

Ah well, at least I'm enjoying this thread! :laugh:

Ten thumbs

Here is an 'obscure' symphony I do have on record and which I really do enjoy.

Emilie Mayer(1812-1883); Symphony No.5 in F minor
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

kyjo

Quote from: Ten thumbs on November 07, 2013, 12:14:21 PM
Here is an 'obscure' symphony I do have on record and which I really do enjoy.

Emilie Mayer(1812-1883); Symphony No.5 in F minor

Thank you for bringing some life into this thread (my posts don't count as "life" ;))! I've heard the Mayer symphony and I agree that it's a fine work-definitely a cut above other lesser-known works of the period. Have you heard the impressive and rather Beethovenian symphonies of Louise Farrenc, recorded by CPO? They're in a similar category as the Mayer symphony.

Brian

Quote from: kyjo on November 07, 2013, 12:18:59 PMHave you heard the impressive and rather Beethovenian symphonies of Louise Farrenc, recorded by CPO? They're in a similar category as the Mayer symphony.
Farrenc's symphonies are wonderful. Even Hector Berlioz complimented them; I think I'm on the record saying they're like Mendelssohn, but with more machismo.

kyjo

Quote from: Brian on November 07, 2013, 12:25:03 PM
Farrenc's symphonies are wonderful. Even Hector Berlioz complimented them; I think I'm on the record saying they're like Mendelssohn, but with more machismo.

Yeah, they're definitely more "fiery" and sturm und drang than a lot of other symphonies of the period (some of which can sound like Mendelssohn and water). Another "fiery" mid-romantic symphony I can enthusiastically recommend is Robert Volkmann's First (recorded by CPO), which has echoes of Beethoven, Schumann 4, Brahms 1, and even some foreshadowing of Wagner. His Second is also a lovely work with some wonderful woodwind writing.

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on November 07, 2013, 10:05:16 AM
Oh Jeffrey, where art thou, O savior of threads about super-obscure composers? ;)

Eivind Groven (1901-1977): Symphony no. 1 To the Mountains (BIS CD)
Adolfs Skulte (1909-2000): Symphony no. 5 (on YT only)
AJ Potter (1918-1980): Sinfonia da Requiem (Marco Polo CD)
Ernst Pepping (1901-1981): Symphony no. 2 (CPO CD)
Manolis Kalomiris (1883-1962): Symphony no. 1 Levendia (Of Manliness) (Koch CD)
Julius Juzeliunas (1916-2001): Symphony no. 2 (on YT only)

Ah well, at least I'm enjoying this thread! :laugh:

Here I am  8)

Interesting choices, not that I know them all. The Archibald Potter Symphony is especially fine, rather in the spirit of Vaughan Williams's : Symphony No 6. I have read through the whole thread again with much interest. Of the symphonies I know the Hurun one stands out as a wonderful score. Nice to see some interest in Yoshimatsu, Chandos's resident composer of some years back. I certainly enjoyed his first two symphonies. The Kleiberg 'Bell Reef' was another great discovery through this forum. I should mention Malcolm Arnold too, although hardly lesser-known.  His odd numbered symphonies + No. 6 are all favourites of mine. Rosenberg and Lyatoshinsky rank very high with me too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on November 07, 2013, 01:42:49 PM
Here I am  8)

Interesting choices, not that I know them all. The Archibald Potter Symphony is especially fine, rather in the spirit of Vaughan Williams's : Symphony No 6. I have read through the whole thread again with much interest. Of the symphonies I know the Hurun one stands out as a wonderful score. Nice to see some interest in Yoshimatsu, Chandos's resident composer of some years back. I certainly enjoyed his first two symphonies. The Kleiberg 'Bell Reef' was another great discovery through this forum. I should mention Malcolm Arnold too, although hardly lesser-known.  His odd numbered symphonies + No. 6 are all favourites of mine. Rosenberg and Lyatoshinsky rank very high with me too.

Finally! ;D I too love Hurum work and wish he had composed more symphonies! Interesting that he wound up in Honolulu after spending most of life near the Arctic Circle! Yoshimatsu I'm not too familiar with, but his music seems attractive, if not particularly deep. Kleiberg is a really fine composer and his Bell Reef Symphony is a very atmospheric work. Let me know if you decide to check out any of the symphonies I listed!

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on November 07, 2013, 01:55:15 PM
Finally! ;D I too love Hurum work and wish he had composed more symphonies! Interesting that he wound up in Honolulu after spending most of life near the Arctic Circle! Yoshimatsu I'm not too familiar with, but his music seems attractive, if not particularly deep. Kleiberg is a really fine composer and his Bell Reef Symphony is a very atmospheric work. Let me know if you decide to check out any of the symphonies I listed!

Of course I will. I think that the Potter work is Sinfonia de Profundis. I think that the Martinon sounds interesting and, talking of conductor/composers enjoy the works by Markevitch, especially Icarus. However I have to say that the Paul Kletzki Symphony No 3 was rather disappointing. I found it to be unmemorable and rather turgid but I quite enjoyed the flute concerto on the same CD. But I will try again with the Symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on November 08, 2013, 02:07:25 AM
Of course I will. I think that the Potter work is Sinfonia de Profundis. I think that the Martinon sounds interesting and, talking of conductor/composers enjoy the works by Markevitch, especially Icarus. However I have to say that the Paul Kletzki Symphony No 3 was rather disappointing. I found it to be unmemorable and rather turgid but I quite enjoyed the flute concerto on the same CD. But I will try again with the Symphony.

Da Profundis, Da Requiem.....they're all the same! ::) :D

Yes, Markevitch is certainly an impressive composer. His oratorio Paradise Lost and orchestral work The Flight of Icarus are stunning. In fact, I think I prefer his best works to the majority of Stravinsky (a composer whose style Markevitch takes inspiration from). His music often has a greater sense of color than neoclassical Stravinsky and is very exciting.

Sorry to hear about the Kletzki symphony, but I'm glad you enjoyed the Flute Concerto! Yes, the symphony is a very grim, dour work that will not always impress at first hearing. Try it again when you get a chance! :)

The Martinon symphony is great-a grand work with some ear-catching use of chimes. His Symphony no. 4, also on YouTube, is also an inspired work.

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on November 08, 2013, 05:35:04 AM
Da Profundis, Da Requiem.....they're all the same! ::) :D

Yes, Markevitch is certainly an impressive composer. His oratorio Paradise Lost and orchestral work The Flight of Icarus are stunning. In fact, I think I prefer his best works to the majority of Stravinsky (a composer whose style Markevitch takes inspiration from). His music often has a greater sense of color than neoclassical Stravinsky and is very exciting.

Sorry to hear about the Kletzki symphony, but I'm glad you enjoyed the Flute Concerto! Yes, the symphony is a very grim, dour work that will not always impress at first hearing. Try it again when you get a chance! :)

The Martinon symphony is great-a grand work with some ear-catching use of chimes. His Symphony no. 4, also on YouTube, is also an inspired work.

Thanks Kyle. I will certainly tune in for the Martinon.

SymphonicAddict

Aarre Merikanto: #2
Luis de Freitas Branco: #3
York Bowen: #2
Jan van Gilse: #3
Ludolf Nielsen: #3
Bernard Zweers: #3

Bonus tracks
George W. Chadwick: #3
August de Boeck: Symphony in G major
Alexander Gretchaninov: #5

Cato

Quote from: vandermolen on November 08, 2013, 07:12:50 AM
Thanks Kyle. I will certainly tune in for the Martinon.

OH the good old days, when a major company (RCA) supported new music!

https://www.youtube.com/v/sLVujpdYB_I
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Parsifal

Henk Badings. So obscure even cpo canceled their cycle. I'd say Kurt Atterberg, but in these parts he's not considered obscure, I think.