Karajan Beethoven Sets -- Which One Shall Smite All Others Into Gooey Bits?

Started by jwinter, March 24, 2009, 12:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

You want a set of Beethoven Symphonies by Karajan, eh?  So which one, smarty pants?

CD - EMI Philharmonia (1950s)
4 (8%)
CD - DG BPO (1960s)
27 (54%)
CD - DG BPO (1970s)
18 (36%)
CD - DG BPO (1980s)
2 (4%)
DVD - Sony/Unitel BPO
1 (2%)
DVD - DG BPO
1 (2%)
Pick single discs amongst 'em, no sets for me!
6 (12%)
Banana
10 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 50

DavidA

I thought recently the 1977 pastoral symphony as a supplement To my 1962 Beethoven set. It's basically the same interpretation but they're just a little more relaxed I think. I got it the next to nothing from Amazon website and just had to pay the postage.

Coopmv

Quote from: DavidA on January 11, 2013, 10:13:36 AM
I thought recently the 1977 pastoral symphony as a supplement To my 1962 Beethoven set. It's basically the same interpretation but they're just a little more relaxed I think. I got it the next to nothing from Amazon website and just had to pay the postage.

The 1977 Beethoven cycle was included in this box set I bought from Amazon UK a few years ago ...

I actually have the LP set in my record collection as well.  That was a very nicely done LP set with many excellent photos ...

DavidA

I owned the old LP set. Beautiful production with lovely photographs. Alas they do not make them like that any more!

VonStupp

I know this excellently-titled thread has long been unused, but since I had time recently to go over the audio-only blu-ray Beethoven symphony cycles by Karajan in the last few months, I thought would throw out my two cents. As far as I know, there are no blu-ray sets of the early Philharmonia set from the 50's nor the Karajan Gold set from the 80's, but those were never in contention for me as a preferred Karajan cycle, despite their qualities.

The 60's set has long been treasured for its drive and intensity; some discussion was had about its homage to Toscanini already. It's sound was never as good as the 70's, but the blu-ray audio goes a long way.

I always thought the 70's set interpretations were similar to the 60's, perhaps with a little more relaxation. But Karajan could never be called sluggish nor meek, still preferring swift tempos and rigorous attacks.

The big difference for me comes in the sound of the Berlin Philharmonic, which in the 70's had become a machine. In this vein, the 60's set, for me, has a more realistic orchestral balance, but the power of the 70's Berlin 'wall of sound' always impressed me - of course, this can be far from listener's tastes. The 70's set has a beefy, cinematic bass line, and while the recording is sometimes lamented for its over-engineering, it has never bothered me so much.

This is more bandying about over Karajan and audio, more than it is Beethoven, but I think my allegiances still lean more towards the 70's. Most certainly on CD this is the case, but the blu-ray makes a solid case for the 60's to my ears.
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

George

1960s DG for me, though his icy cold Pastoral needs to be replaced by Walter's or Boehm's
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

DavidW

This thread made me realize that I have digital downloads of the recent-ish remastering of the 60s set and I forgot!  Maybe I should listen to that today.

Jo498

I am not even sure, I think I might have the 70s in the amazon cloud but I have only the 60s as physical discs and know only them and never bothered to seek out the others. Besides 5 and 9 which are among my favorites, the latter partly for the singers, I don't think they are that good, usually pretty good, except the un-rustic pastoral but overall too "slick" to be my favorites.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Holden

HvKs LvB is middle of the road for me with one exception, the 5th. This is especially so in his 50's PO recording and in the 60's, his first with the BPO.
Cheers

Holden