Ruth Gipps (1921-99)

Started by Maestro267, July 21, 2018, 07:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Oates

I've just been enjoying another new Ruth Gipps CD that seemed to have slipped out last year - pity it hasn't had more media prominence.

https://ascrecords.com/primafacie/opalescence.html

calyptorhynchus

'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Oates

Quote from: Oates on February 18, 2022, 10:03:44 AM
I've just been enjoying another new Ruth Gipps CD that seemed to have slipped out last year - pity it hasn't had more media prominence.

https://ascrecords.com/primafacie/opalescence.html

Just in case you couldn't tell, that CD cover art is described as an "abstract oil of Ruth Gipps conducting by Steve Plews"!

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: Oates on February 21, 2022, 01:56:52 AM
Just in case you couldn't tell, that CD cover art is described as an "abstract oil of Ruth Gipps conducting by Steve Plews"!

Lol, no it's Ruth Gipps' reaction when told she couldn't conduct because she was a woman!

One of my favourite pieces by Gipps is Leviathan for Contrabassoon and Piano (also an orchestral version). I don't think there's recording available atm but there are a couple of recital performances on Youtube (piano version). Well worth a listen.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Irons

Heard the short "Cringlemire Gardens" on YT and liked the piece a lot. Read some negative comments of Bostock on the forum but ordered the CD anyway.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Symphonic Addict

Brian had posted it on the New Releases thread, but I thought it could be appropriate to post it here too:

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

calyptorhynchus

Oh thanks, that'll be great!

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 25, 2022, 05:47:59 PM
Brian had posted it on the New Releases thread, but I thought it could be appropriate to post it here too:

How exciting! I shall definitely be ordering this one.
Thanks Cesar.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on August 25, 2022, 10:48:22 PM
How exciting! I shall definitely be ordering this one.
Thanks Cesar.

+1
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roasted Swan