Einar Englund 1916-1999

Started by vandermolen, March 25, 2009, 12:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

The Piano Quintet from 1941 comes, obviously, from the other end of the spectrum. It is "neo-classic," which here translates into "spiky." The first two mvmts. have that young-man-on-a-mission sound, very exhuberant. I don't want to say that Hindemith is the closest ally here: perhaps him, and a bit of late Bartok.

I can't say these first two mvmts. made me think of "masterpiece," but the third, the slow mvmt., started off very well indeed. By the time this Qnt. ended I was satisfied (more so than when it began). Though not in the league of Bloch's No.1, or with the immediate appeal of the Piston, this work has footprints. There certainly aren't that many PQs around this time to compare it with (Bloch No.2, perhaps, which I don't have anymore).

All in all, this is a very enigmatic release to my ears. The PQ brims with energy, whilst the SQ has that IndianSummer feeling, albeit from a Northern perspective. Once again, the bare cover art of this cd seems to be dead on, though I would have preferred more than one tree collage! In a way, this sounds to me as if Bloch had lived into the '80s.

The Sinfonia Lahti Chamber Ensemble (w/Peter Lonnqvist, piano) play very orchestrally, which certainly befits the SQ. Of course, the sound is fine.

vandermolen

Thought I'd bump up this thread. I find that I own a Finlandia 'Meet the Composer' double CD devoted to the music of Einar Englund and am just listening to the wonderful (IMHO) Symphony No 2 (Blackbird). The moving opening of the central movement is one of my favourite moments in 20th century classical music - a truly inspiriting and deeply affecting episode in a fine symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I've been revisiting some "Naxos classics," by which I mean certain Naxos discs that I acquired a long time ago (at least 10 years) and haven't listened to in a long while.

The disc of Englund's Symphonies 2 & 4, plus Piano Cto. #1, has been inhabiting my CD player recently. Well what can I say but damn, this is good stuff. It's exactly as good as when I first heard it back in 2000 or so. Music built to last. Englund sounds a bit like Bartok, a bit like Prokofiev, a bit like DSCH, and a bit like Sibelius, but always like himself. It's a delicate balancing act, but he pulls it off.

Strangely, I never felt compelled to buy more Englund discs. It's like having this one superb disc is enough for me.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

North Star

Quote from: kyjo on September 16, 2013, 05:05:25 PM
Not to derail this thread, but have you heard Englund's symphonies? No. 2 (subtitled Blackbird) is an especially haunting, moving work. :)
I've heard this before, listening to it now again, this is an excellent piece, with some definite Shostakovich influence, but also something more Central European influence. Will listen some more Englund. :)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

snyprrr

just sampling some Englund, and, as compared to, say, Blomdahl, Englund is emerging as a favorite.

I've sampled all the Symphonies, and they all seem to appeal to me. As a Symphonist, I'm enjoying Englund so much more than others that I've tried recently. There's a certain limpid quality,... the Blomdahl were very much more aggressive; Englund has some reflective poise...

I'm debating on whether to just get ALL Englund in one fell swoop,... Syms. 1-7, Piano Ctos 1-2, maybe even the Finlandia 2CD...

Anyone familiar with the Piano Cti.?

vandermolen

Quote from: snyprrr on October 21, 2015, 05:43:51 AM
just sampling some Englund, and, as compared to, say, Blomdahl, Englund is emerging as a favorite.

I've sampled all the Symphonies, and they all seem to appeal to me. As a Symphonist, I'm enjoying Englund so much more than others that I've tried recently. There's a certain limpid quality,... the Blomdahl were very much more aggressive; Englund has some reflective poise...

I'm debating on whether to just get ALL Englund in one fell swoop,... Syms. 1-7, Piano Ctos 1-2, maybe even the Finlandia 2CD...

Anyone familiar with the Piano Cti.?

The piano concerto are very enjoyable I think I have an Ondine CD. I like the First Symphony by Blomdahl more than the better known 'Facetter'. It has a redemptive ending reflecting the influence of his teacher Hilding Rosenberg.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scion7

Quote from: snyprrr on July 01, 2009, 10:22:26 AM
I was hoping for a dark and stormy night to inaugurate this cd, but that didn't happen, so I just cranked up the a.c. and pitched a tent under my covers (no, not that kind of tent!).

:P
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

snyprrr

Please, new erato, dun-d, vandermoldie... :laugh:, sorry,...christo,... anyone...

Is there a sonsensus on quality between the Finlandia 1-2 and the Ondine 1-2? Ondine would be assumed to have better sound,... though, vintage is about the same (early 90s), but the Finlania has slower movements,... who knows???

serious CDCDCD alert here, let's get crackin'!!

The new erato

I have no idea about the Finlandia discs. Wish Warner could get more of them reissued.

snyprrr

Quote from: The new erato on October 27, 2015, 10:28:49 PM
I have no idea about the Finlandia discs. Wish Warner could get more of them reissued.

No matter, I got both on order!

Have now heard the Ondine with 3 & 7. I like his style,... I don't know what else to say,... I don't find it all too DSCH-y,... not particularly Hindemithian,... but still solidly "mid century" through and through,... "normal" Symphonic Music,..., very clear,... cut, yet limpid,...

I have ALL the discs coming, except Cello Concerto/Sym.6,... the Finlandia 2CD with the Violin, Flute, and Clarinet Concertos (super cheap!),... the Piano Ctos.,.. 4/5- Great Wall,... 1/2 Ondine,...

Naw,... I've got no critique,... Englund is a very pleasing Symphonist,... no need for all that Robert Simpson drama,... probably I'd say he sounds most like Kokkonen, but less "nature" like, more just solid musical argument type stuff, but without all that developing blah,... always with some good celesta...

snyprrr

Interesting. Englund wrote the music for the 1952 Finnish "horror" film 'The White Reindeer'.

Christo

Quote from: snyprrr on November 02, 2015, 08:54:12 AMInteresting. Englund wrote the music for the 1952 Finnish "horror" film 'The White Reindeer'.

The Suite from it is actually on this BIS CD (that I own, but paid to little attention to):
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on November 02, 2015, 11:51:06 AM
The Suite from it is actually on this BIS CD (that I own, but paid to little attention to):

The Suite from 'The White Reindeer' is very nice. You can find it here:
[asin]B000027E4C[/asin]

vandermolen

Christo beat me to it.  :) The Suite is one of my favourite works on that CD.

snyprrr

Quote from: vandermolen on November 02, 2015, 11:56:39 AM
Christo beat me to it.  :) The Suite is one of my favourite works on that CD.

interesting

Continuing with the England-a-thon. In the middle of No.2, 'Blackbird': I'm just liking Englund's style, very clear, muscular yet limpid, Sure, there's a sameness, but, hey, I like this style so give me more of it! The PCs just arrived today, waiting on 4/5. Yea, hey, Englund is doing all the right things for me; not such melodies as DSCH, but the 'Objective' Nordic sound is readily apparent, the whole mood of his work, whether happy, sad, slow, fast, there is a certain genial quality in all these works. The violence is notharrowing, but just Symphonic,... idk, I can't think of too many "normal" sounding Composers' Symphonies I've enjoyed more recently, and especially Nordic ones.

Have you heard the Erland von Koch CD with his Symphony No.2?

snyprrr

Quote from: vandermolen on October 21, 2015, 07:47:05 AM
The piano concerto are very enjoyable I think I have an Ondine CD. I like the First Symphony by Blomdahl more than the better known 'Facetter'. It has a redemptive ending reflecting the influence of his teacher Hilding Rosenberg.

Just got the disc with the 2 PC. Mmm,... well, idk, this is my least favoured EE now. I found the 2nd, from 1974, the less interesting, as others have said. But, the 1st, other than, apparently being THE "Nordic PC" of the era, even with some cool Nordic harmonies, some ice, it just sounds like a typical modern PC to me. Oh well, cures my buying outbreak, lol!

I suppose the Naxos disc would be the way to go for those wishing to sample this rep...

eh

snyprrr

Symphony No.1 'War'
Symphony no.2 'Blackbird'

No.1 is marginally more bracing; both are quite enjoyable. No.2 has a very nice, Shostakovich-flavoured slow movement. Englund has some of that martial snare and triangle thing that signals a "war" Symphony. His style seemed a bit diluted to me in the two PC, but in all of the Syms. I've heard (1,2,3,7) he treads a nigh perfect mix of what I want to hear out of a Modern Conservative Symphony.

For some reason, Piston seems to be the one most in competition with EE for my attention, and EE wins hands down. Maybe he's just slightly less bombastic in the finales?

anyhow, my thoughts on EE have been pretty vapid,... sorry folks!! :-[

awaiting 4/5...

vandermolen

Thought Englund deserved a 'bump up' as I've been enjoying every work on this CD and am playing the Symphony 2 'Blackbird' over and over again. It has some wonderfully inspiriting moments. I shouldn't generalise but many Finnish composers seem to have a unique and very special contact with nature - all those forests I guess:

PS I just realised that I started this thread ten years ago, making much the same sort of comment as I'm making now.  ::)

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on May 20, 2019, 04:20:25 AM
Thought Englund deserved a 'bump up' as I've been enjoying every work on this CD and am playing the Symphony 2 'Blackbird' over and over again. It has some wonderfully inspiriting moments. I shouldn't generalise but many Finnish composers seem to have a unique and very special contact with nature - all those forests I guess:

PS I just realised that I started this thread ten years ago, making much the same sort of comment as I'm making now.  ::)

Yes, the 2nd Symphony is indeed a wonderful work with martial, war-like passages contrasting with passages of great lyrical beauty (featuring avian flute solos, hence the symphony's subtitle). I also really like Englund's Cello Concerto as well as both of his PCs.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff