Einar Englund 1916-1999

Started by vandermolen, March 25, 2009, 12:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Here's David Hurwitz's enthusiastic presentation on Einar Englund:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBP8chTGPiY
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Am enjoying Englund's Symphony No.2 'The Blackbird' which is my favourite:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

71 dB

I have the Ondine disc of Piano Concertos 1 and 2 plus Epinikia in shink wraps waiting for the proper moment...

Quote from: vandermolen on July 31, 2020, 07:13:54 AM
Here's David Hurwitz's enthusiastic presentation on Einar Englund:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBP8chTGPiY

How can some people be that good in expressing strong enthusiasm without being preachy?

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on August 01, 2020, 06:27:44 AM
I have the Ondine disc of Piano Concertos 1 and 2 plus Epinikia in shink wraps waiting for the proper moment...

How can some people be that good in expressing strong enthusiasm without being preachy?
That's a nice disc 71 dB. I like both the concertos but Epinikia most of all. Hope the shrink wrap comes off soon!  :)

71 dB

Quote from: vandermolen on August 01, 2020, 02:10:01 PM
That's a nice disc 71 dB. I like both the concertos but Epinikia most of all. Hope the shrink wrap comes off soon!  :)

The disc is part of my latest JPC order and the other four discs are also still in shrink wraps. I am in no hurry with them and it's nice to have "new" discs for the right moment that feel right. That way I hopefully buy less and save money. The discovery of Haydn's Op. 20 sidetracked me from the Englund track...  ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Alex Bozman

Unsure how to copy images onto this site...?

David Hurwitz's review and excerpt from The Great Wall of China, persuaded me to finally buy the cd featuring, though now out of stock, so had to resort to a second hand copy from e-bay. That cd had attracted some positive comment early on in this thread and it was good to get to know the 5th symphony too. My favourite Englund piece is the 1st symphony, as with a few other favourites, it was the first piece of his that I owned. Have always found his Blackbird Symphony a little elusive though.

Symphonic Addict

The Great Wall of China is a very fun work indeed. All of what I've heard by Englund has been of significant musical quality, including his chamber music. You should also try his piano concertos. Fantastic stuff.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 01, 2020, 09:25:39 PM
The Great Wall of China is a very fun work indeed. All of what I've heard by Englund has been of significant musical quality, including his chamber music. You should also try his piano concertos. Fantastic stuff.
+1

André

Quote from: vandermolen on July 31, 2020, 09:33:35 PM

Am enjoying Englund's Symphony No.2 'The Blackbird' which is my favourite:

I have a few discs of this very fine composer's music, but this one strikes me as the ideal entry point.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on September 02, 2020, 05:03:21 AM
I have a few discs of this very fine composer's music, but this one strikes me as the ideal entry point.
Definitely!

Christo

Quote from: André on September 02, 2020, 05:03:21 AM
Mostly because of the wonderful Fourth Symphony - my favourite.  >:D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

CD 2 in this set has to be my very favourite Englund disc as it contains 'Epinikia', the 'War' Symphony (No.1) and the 'Blackbird' Symphony - arguably three of his greatest works (all composed between 1946 and 1948):

Symphonic Addict

Great composer and works, Jeffrey. Since you mentioned Epinikia, it really sounds like something epic. It could be also "Epikinia".
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 28, 2021, 07:54:52 PM
Great composer and works, Jeffrey. Since you mentioned Epinikia, it really sounds like something epic. It could be also "Epikinia".
I think that you're right Cesar!
;D

classicalgeek

(cross-posted on the 'WAYLT' thread)

Today I finally made Englund's acquaintance with these two discs (on Spotify):

All I can say is... where has this music been all my life? Every work is finely crafted in an approachable but totally individual voice; I found the Cello Concerto an especially fine work, with great solo work by the cellist. I'd say I'm not normally one for choral symphonies (even though my favorite symphony ever is Mahler 2 ;D), but in Englund's Sixth the choir is a pleasant addition, and never outstays its welcome; it's a really beautiful work on the whole. The two piano concertos are real virtuoso showpieces; Raekallio really digs in to the piano parts and plays them for all their worth! Epinikia is a delightful orchestral showpiece which never turns bombastic. And all the works are expertly orchestrated; Englund has a real gift for orchestral color. I loved every minute on both discs, and I can't wait to explore more of Englund's work!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

dhibbard

Quote from: vandermolen on October 28, 2021, 09:00:07 AM
CD 2 in this set has to be my very favourite Englund disc as it contains 'Epinikia', the 'War' Symphony (No.1) and the 'Blackbird' Symphony - arguably three of his greatest works (all composed between 1946 and 1948):

yes this a great collection of his works.  got it also... was hard to find.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: classicalgeek on March 29, 2022, 04:54:01 PM
(cross-posted on the 'WAYLT' thread)

Today I finally made Englund's acquaintance with these two discs (on Spotify):

All I can say is... where has this music been all my life? Every work is finely crafted in an approachable but totally individual voice; I found the Cello Concerto an especially fine work, with great solo work by the cellist. I'd say I'm not normally one for choral symphonies (even though my favorite symphony ever is Mahler 2 ;D), but in Englund's Sixth the choir is a pleasant addition, and never outstays its welcome; it's a really beautiful work on the whole. The two piano concertos are real virtuoso showpieces; Raekallio really digs in to the piano parts and plays them for all their worth! Epinikia is a delightful orchestral showpiece which never turns bombastic. And all the works are expertly orchestrated; Englund has a real gift for orchestral color. I loved every minute on both discs, and I can't wait to explore more of Englund's work!
Pardon, but what is the top one--I can't see the image.  :(

PD

classicalgeek

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 30, 2022, 06:13:10 AM
Pardon, but what is the top one--I can't see the image.  :(

PD

The top disc is Englund's Cello Concerto and his (choral) Symphony no. 6. I quite enjoyed both works, especially the Cello Concerto!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: classicalgeek on March 30, 2022, 07:59:48 AM
The top disc is Englund's Cello Concerto and his (choral) Symphony no. 6. I quite enjoyed both works, especially the Cello Concerto!
Who are the artists, etc.?  I don't know whether there is more than one recording?

PD

classicalgeek

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 30, 2022, 02:00:33 PM
Who are the artists, etc.?  I don't know whether there is more than one recording?

PD

It's the only recording of both works that I'm aware of. Some of his earlier symphonies were recorded on the Finlandia label, but not no. 6.

The cellist in the concerto is Jan-Erik Gustafsson. The Tampere Philharmonic (and the Tampere Philharmonic Choir in the Sixth Symphony) are conducted by Eri Klas.