Viva Vivaldi!

Started by Que, June 03, 2007, 12:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewski

For anyone interested, here's an article I wrote for WRTI on Juditha Triumphans, the Vivaldi oratorio about Judith and Holofernes, which is being performed next week by Tempesta di Mare in Philadelphia. Writing about Vivaldi and early music is a bit off my usual beat, but I'm quite pleased with how it came out.

Looking forward to hearing the performance, too.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

ritter

Very interesting article, Bruce!

Not on the same level, of course, but Vivaldi is off my usual best as well, and by pure coincidence I listened to some music of his today, for the first time in many years.  :)

brewski

Quote from: ritter on March 07, 2024, 11:36:27 AMVery interesting article, Bruce!

Not on the same level, of course, but Vivaldi is off my usual as well, and by pure coincidence I listened to some music of his today, for the first time in many years.  :)

Thank you, and...Gloria! I will check out that recording, since that was one of the first Vivaldi pieces that I really loved. My go-to has been Rinaldo Alessandrini's lightning version, but I'd love to hear this one, too.

-Bruce

ritter

Quote from: brewski on March 07, 2024, 12:23:38 PMThank you, and...Gloria! I will check out that recording, since that was one of the first Vivaldi pieces that I really loved. My go-to has been Rinaldo Alessandrini's lightning version, but I'd love to hear this one, too.

-Bruce
Brace yourself for that one, Bruce! The chorus sound as if they were in Nabucco, not singing Vivaldi;D

brewski

Quote from: ritter on March 07, 2024, 12:28:35 PMBrace yourself for that one, Bruce! The chorus sound as if they were in Nabucco, not singing Vivaldi;D

Nabucco  ;D  ;D  ;D

-Bruce