Pettersson's Pavilion

Started by BachQ, April 08, 2007, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 01, 2021, 11:45:41 AM
I do seem to have enjoyed the 8th the last time I listened to it. I should revisit the 6th and Violin Concerto No. 2, but, unfortunately, I don't think I have the stamina. ;) ;D
I think that 6 and 7 are better than 8 but maybe VC No.2 is best of all, especially the last few minutes.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on March 01, 2021, 11:54:42 AM
I think that 6 and 7 are better than 8 but maybe VC No.2 is best of all, especially the last few minutes.

Yes, I recall the last part of the 2nd VC includes a 'meditation' if you will on one of his Barefoot Songs. I recall this section being particularly moving.

springrite

Nothing but Pettersson for the past two week.

My favorites are 7, 9, 6, 8, 11, 13, 12, 14, 16, 15, not exactly but more or less in that order. I don't like the first five symphonies as much.

Obviously, 7 is my favorite, but my favorite movement is the final movement of the 9th. No more made pain more beautiful.

Outside of the symphonies, the VC 2 and the Barefoot Songs are both masterpieces. But I have to mention that I was surprised by how much I liked the chamber music, the little that I have of them.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

MusicTurner

Quote from: springrite on July 01, 2021, 09:33:34 PM

My favorites are 7, 9, 6, 8, 11, 13, 12, 14, 16, 15, not exactly but more or less in that order. I don't like the first five symphonies as much.

Obviously, 7 is my favorite, but my favorite movement is the final movement of the 9th. No more made pain more beautiful.

Outside of the symphonies, the VC 2 and the Barefoot Songs are both masterpieces. But I have to mention that I was surprised by how much I liked the chamber music, the little that I have of them.

Interesting about your choice of no.9. Which recording is it?

springrite

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 01, 2021, 10:10:26 PM
Interesting about your choice of no.9. Which recording is it?
CPO
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

André

Quote from: springrite on July 01, 2021, 09:33:34 PM

Interestingly, my own favourites are practically the same as yours, at least for the first 6. The picture blurs a little past that point. I probably like nos 2 and 5 more than you do though. I recently listened to no 5 twice, appreciating it much more on the second run.

foxandpeng

I need to revisit Pettersson in some sort of structured way to do a full favourite listing, but for now...

7, 5, 6, 16, 8, 9, then the rest in shifting order. Even those move about a fair bit.

If I wasn't in full Shostakovich mode at the moment, I'd do just that. I have so enjoyed the Lindberg set, even though I've cut my teeth on the CPOs.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on July 02, 2021, 12:35:22 PM
I need to revisit Pettersson in some sort of structured way to do a full favourite listing, but for now...

7, 5, 6, 16, 8, 9, then the rest in shifting order. Even those move about a fair bit.

If I wasn't in full Shostakovich mode at the moment, I'd do just that. I have so enjoyed the Lindberg set, even though I've cut my teeth on the CPOs.

I would never claim to be a big Pettersson fan, but the 6th, 7th and 8th, for me, are outright masterpieces. I rate them so highly because I feel that this particular period of his life spoke to me. The doom and gloom of the later symphonies isn't there and the moments of heartbreaking beauty that make the journey worthwhile are aplenty. The 7th is one of the few pieces of music to actually cause me to break down and cry (the others are the Adagietto from Mahler's 5th, Il tempo largo from Sibelius' 4th, the Passacaglia from Shostakovich's Violin Concerto No. 1 and Strauss' Vier letzte Lieder). This is why I still have such a strong affinity for this symphony ---- to me, in that long slow section, you can hear those moments from his childhood where he seemed to be looking back and the vision of his mother consoling his younger self and telling him everything is going to be fine. I don't know it just sounds like he's sharing something incredibly personal with the listener.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 02, 2021, 07:19:50 PM
I would never claim to be a big Pettersson fan, but the 6th, 7th and 8th, for me, are outright masterpieces. I rate them so highly because I feel that this particular period of his life spoke to me. The doom and gloom of the later symphonies isn't there and the moments of heartbreaking beauty that make the journey worthwhile are aplenty. The 7th is one of the few pieces of music to actually cause me to break down and cry (the others are the Adagietto from Mahler's 5th, Il tempo largo from Sibelius' 4th, the Passacaglia from Shostakovich's Violin Concerto No. 1 and Strauss' Vier letzte Lieder). This is why I still have such a strong affinity for this symphony ---- to me, in that long slow section, you can hear those moments from his childhood where he seemed to be looking back and the vision of his mother consoling his younger self and telling him everything is going to be fine. I don't know it just sounds like he's sharing something incredibly personal with the listener.
An interesting posting John. 6,7 and 8 and the Violin Concerto No.2 (especially the last few minutes of it) do it for me as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on July 02, 2021, 10:31:21 PM
An interesting posting John. 6,7 and 8 and the Violin Concerto No.2 (especially the last few minutes of it) do it for me as well.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention Violin Concerto No. 2. That's an excellent work. What is your favorite performance of it, Jeffrey?

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 03, 2021, 06:17:52 AM
Ah yes, I forgot to mention Violin Concerto No. 2. That's an excellent work. What is your favorite performance of it, Jeffrey?
Greetings John!
I'm very loyal to the Blomstedt/Ida Haendel version as that's the one (especially the last few minutes) which had an overwhelming emotional effect on me on LP. I think that section quotes one of Pettersson's 'Barefoot Songs'. I like the LP cover art too. Having said that I greatly enjoy the more recent CPO recording. I'm less familiar with the BIS recording, although I do have it (somewhere  ::))

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on July 03, 2021, 07:25:38 AM
Greetings John!
I'm very loyal to the Blomstedt/Ida Haendel version as that's the one (especially the last few minutes) which had an overwhelming emotional effect on me on LP. I think that section quotes one of Pettersson's 'Barefoot Songs'. I like the LP cover art too. Having said that I greatly enjoy the more recent CPO recording. I'm less familiar with the BIS recording, although I do have it (somewhere  ::))

Very nice, Jeffrey. I too enjoy the Haendel/Blomstedt performance. I also like the Keulen/Dausgaard one you mentioned on CPO. I own the Wallin/Lindberg on BIS, but haven't listened to it as I'm just not greatly impressed with the Lindberg series in general.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 02, 2021, 07:19:50 PM
The 7th is one of the few pieces of music to actually cause me to break down and cry (the others are the Adagietto from Mahler's 5th, Il tempo largo from Sibelius' 4th, the Passacaglia from Shostakovich's Violin Concerto No. 1 and Strauss' Vier letzte Lieder).

The 7th has such arresting power, I agree. I've been stopped in my tracks by this too, causingme to stop whatever else I'mdoing and just hear it. Bruckner 7 has done that in the past, and recently Shostakovich SQs 4 and 8, and surprisingly to me, the Imants Kalnins Symphony 6. Music does more than simply calm the savage breast...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on July 03, 2021, 09:51:34 AM
The 7th has such arresting power, I agree. I've been stopped in my tracks by this too, causingme to stop whatever else I'mdoing and just hear it. Bruckner 7 has done that in the past, and recently Shostakovich SQs 4 and 8, and surprisingly to me, the Imants Kalnins Symphony 6. Music does more than simply calm the savage breast...
The Kalnins 6th Symphony has been played often here since I acquired the box set.

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on July 03, 2021, 09:51:34 AM
The 7th has such arresting power, I agree. I've been stopped in my tracks by this too, causing me to stop whatever else I'm doing and just hear it. Bruckner 7 has done that in the past, and recently Shostakovich SQs 4 and 8, and surprisingly to me, the Imants Kalnins Symphony 6. Music does more than simply calm the savage breast...

Hmmm...I'll have to check out Kalniņš. I know Jeffrey has spoken highly of him. It'll be quite some time before I'm probably able to get to his music, though, as I still have so much music to digest and soak in before moving onto someone else.

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on July 03, 2021, 01:46:03 PM
The Kalnins 6th Symphony has been played often here since I acquired the box set.

I'm very taken with it. I have very much enjoyed his 7th and 2nd, find his 4th a fun listen, and am slowly getting to know the 5th. The 6th has been one of my most often played new pieces of music this year.

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 03, 2021, 07:29:50 PM
Hmmm...I'll have to check out Kalniņš. I know Jeffrey has spoken highly of him. It'll be quite some time before I'm probably able to get to his music, though, as I still have so much music to digest and soak in before moving onto someone else.

He is definitely worth exploring. His popular music has a big priority over his orchestral work, I think, but I've found much to enjoy so far.

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on July 04, 2021, 12:48:46 PMHe is definitely worth exploring. His popular music has a big priority over his orchestral work, I think, but I've found much to enjoy so far.

Thanks, I'll have to check him out. 8)

foxandpeng

Likely to play some Allan Pettersson this evening in honour of the anniversary of his birthday today. Time for a run through of his symphonies, perhaps?

Edit:

Allan Pettersson
Symphonies 1 and 2
Christian Lindberg
Norrköping SO
BIS

Beginning with Lindberg's own performance edition of #1. Without taking anything away from Alun Francis and others in the CPO cycle, I very much like Lindberg in Pettersson.

Tolstoy

vers la flamme

Hi foxandpeng. Your enthusiasm for Pettersson's music is infectious—makes me want to hear more. What I've heard is this: Symphony No.7, Violin Concerto No.2 and the Barefoot Songs. Anything else you'd recommend to me as a must-hear for someone new to his music (and possibly treading lightly)...?