Pettersson's Pavilion

Started by BachQ, April 08, 2007, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

As far as tonality goes, the only ones I can think of is B flat minor for the 6th Symphony and B minor for the 7th. The 8th gets stuck in a long passage of B flat minor in the second movement but ends in G sharp minor.

CRCulver

BIS is releasing a boxed set in January 2024 with the title "Allan Pettersson Complete Edition". This obviously means using the Segerstam recordings of the symphonies which Lindberg hasn't recorded. Makes me wonder if Lindberg's attempt at a complete cycle has been cut short.

Maestro267

I wonder if Lindberg would still continue on another label, because he very clearly has passion for this music and is a champion of Pettersson. Also interesting that they've still managed to record all of the symphonies, even if it is across two eras.

DavidW

Quote from: CRCulver on December 01, 2023, 03:50:35 AMBIS is releasing a boxed set in January 2024 with the title "Allan Pettersson Complete Edition". This obviously means using the Segerstam recordings of the symphonies which Lindberg hasn't recorded. Makes me wonder if Lindberg's attempt at a complete cycle has been cut short.

And it includes the Barefoot Songs, concertos, chamber works... very impressive.  It even includes that concerto for string quartet!  Oh man!!  You know Pettersson might make some good listening today...

AnotherSpin

Quote from: CRCulver on December 01, 2023, 03:50:35 AMBIS is releasing a boxed set in January 2024 with the title "Allan Pettersson Complete Edition". This obviously means using the Segerstam recordings of the symphonies which Lindberg hasn't recorded. Makes me wonder if Lindberg's attempt at a complete cycle has been cut short.

Three conductors mentioned: Christian Lindberg, Leif Segerstam, Stig Westerberg. Apparently Lindbergh won't complete his cycle. That's a shame.

vers la flamme

Quote from: AnotherSpin on December 01, 2023, 09:15:39 AMThree conductors mentioned: Christian Lindberg, Leif Segerstam, Stig Westerberg. Apparently Lindbergh won't complete his cycle. That's a shame.

A shame indeed. Lindberg's recordings are the best I've heard, to my ears.

Listening to his choral 12th for the first time and enjoying it greatly. I suppose it's just about exactly as I expected it to be. Lindberg on BIS is the one I have.

I wonder if anyone has heard this recording:

Daverz

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 04, 2023, 02:32:20 PMA shame indeed. Lindberg's recordings are the best I've heard, to my ears.

Listening to his choral 12th for the first time and enjoying it greatly. I suppose it's just about exactly as I expected it to be. Lindberg on BIS is the one I have.

I see it on Qobuz.  Added to my Qobuz "favorites" for later.

https://open.qobuz.com/album/7391782213690

vandermolen

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 04, 2023, 02:32:20 PMA shame indeed. Lindberg's recordings are the best I've heard, to my ears.

I had this LP recording of the 12th Symphony 'The Dead in the Marketplace'. Even for me the work was a bit heavy going. I like symphonies 6, 7, 8 and the VC No.2.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DavidW

I prefer the Honeck recording of the 12th, but the Lindberg is still fine.  I have not heard the Larsson.

Leo K.

I am finally discovering Pettersson thanks to iTunes carrying the Complete Edition on BIS. So far, I have listened to the 8th and right now I am in the 4th. I am all in.

springrite

Yes, that is the one I have. Having not heard any other versions, I do like this one.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

foxandpeng

Ah, the Carl Rune Larsson is new to me. Thank you for the recommendation 😊
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

DavidW

I received the edition box set today.  17 sacds plus 4 dvds.  One dvd is called "who the hell is Alan Pettersson?" an interview with him from 1974.  It also includes a very thick booklet.  And I like that BIS went that route.  I have a box set of Brautigam's Mozart PCs from them where they included the individual booklets instead.

Leo K.

My Pettersson Complete (on BIS) box also arrived and it is a beautiful set, didn't realize they were also SACD, which is great!

Atriod

From what I understood from Hurwitz's video BIS are continuing to record the symphonies in the incomplete cycle? Go BIS!

Quote from: DavidW on December 05, 2023, 05:43:30 AMI prefer the Honeck recording of the 12th, but the Lindberg is still fine.  I have not heard the Larsson.

I haven't heard the Lindberg and Honeck relatively near each other but I too liked Honeck's performance. I suspect I'm going to have to buy the CPO box as well.

Really the only piece I clearly prefer is Ida Haendel in the Second VC to Wallin's.

DavidW

Quote from: Atriod on February 02, 2024, 04:50:53 PMFrom what I understood from Hurwitz's video BIS are continuing to record the symphonies in the incomplete cycle? Go BIS!

That is good news because I don't think Lindberg even recorded my favorite one (the 8th), or at least I didn't see it in the box.  The Segerstam is the only one in the box set.  I mean love it, I think there is space for more recordings.  Pettersson is not exactly represented like Mahler or Beethoven.

foxandpeng

It would be a terrible shame if Lindberg doesn't get a shot all all the symphonies. His recordings have been very enjoyable to my ears.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

DavidW

I watched Who the Hell is Allan Pettersson? included in the box set.  It was a close to hour interview with him discussing his interesting life.  It was a real rags to riches story.  Well I mean he didn't become wealthy.  But he did start out poor and faced a great deal of adversity in his career.

It ended with a segment of Dorati conducting the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra.  It was knock your socks off great!  I found a recording he did of the 7th and will give it a listen.

Atriod

Since Pettersson mania is in full swing, I'd encourage people to email Eloquence Australia to get Comissiona's incredible performance of Symphony 8 reissued on CD (which would mean streaming as well). Eloquence are receptive to suggestions and did release a Fou Ts'ong box a couple of years after I suggested it (could be coincidence).

eloquence@umusic.com . I basically told them that there is a resurging interest in Pettersson and this could be a potential great seller.

I'll see if I can get my M-Audio USB ADC working with W11, I might be able to do a needle drop. I'm certain a CD release would sound better than my LP which starts to sound sort of wall of sound/compressed towards the 2/3 mark on each side.

springrite

Quote from: Atriod on February 11, 2024, 05:18:07 AMSince Pettersson mania is in full swing, I'd encourage people to email Eloquence Australia to get Comissiona's incredible performance of Symphony 8 reissued on CD (which would mean streaming as well). Eloquence are receptive to suggestions and did release a Fou Ts'ong box a couple of years after I suggested it (could be coincidence).

eloquence@umusic.com . I basically told them that there is a resurging interest in Pettersson and this could be a potential great seller.

I'll see if I can get my M-Audio USB ADC working with W11, I might be able to do a needle drop. I'm certain a CD release would sound better than my LP which starts to sound sort of wall of sound/compressed towards the 2/3 mark on each side.

I have that recording on LP. It is indeed amazing and was my introduction to Pettersson.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.