Pettersson's Pavilion

Started by BachQ, April 08, 2007, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Thank you for the kind and most neighborly invitation, mon vieux!  :)

One pre-opinion remark is, that the symphony is Big, and so my ears need to get their bearings.  And as I have found before with the first attempts to grasp a Big work, my ear is in a sense misled in taking things which more closely seem to echo another piece which I already know, as being the most salient 'landmarks' (because the most readily 'recognizable').  And so, for good or ill, I often find that some of my initial 'thoughts' on hearing such a piece, are the first I discard when I get to know the whole rather better.

More sometime later :-)

=====

Lethe, I don't remember PaulB making that specific recommendation . . . bless his soul, I have an idea that he might think any Pettersson symphony a good place to start  :D

But I've already been introduced to Pettersson, in the Seventh & Sixteenth (Stockholm Phil/Dorati/Ahronovitch) . . . which I listened to only once, some time ago.

Quote from: D Minor on September 20, 2007, 08:16:36 AM
That's because his LvB recommendations were based on 60-second clips .........

I think Paul's attention tended to waver at about the 25-second mark, too  8)

Lethevich

From distant memory, I recall that PaulB liked the 2nd a lot, and recommended it as the first piece a non-Petterssonite should hear. While I wouldn't trust his recommendations on Beethoven, his ones on Pettersson is perhaps a little more trustworthy :P
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

BachQ

Quote from: Lethe on September 20, 2007, 08:12:29 AM
While I wouldn't trust his recommendations on Beethoven, his ones on Pettersson is perhaps a little more trustworthy :P

That's because his LvB recommendations were based on 60-second clips .........

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

I think it's chrystal clear and simple: Sym. Nos. 6 (you know #6 is his best work? :) ),7,8 are a good place to start. They are very accessible works and have a well understandable structure. And beautiful highlights. I will upload some very convincing snippets of those later because I feel sorry for anybody who hasn't heard the symphonies in his lifetime! ;)

EDIT: I've ask CPO first about publishing snippets and stuff... I've always been interested in their opinion on copyright and all this...

The Emperor

Yeh those are good ones to start, the 7th was my first and it instantly hit me, beautiful work, same goes for the others.

Grazioso

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

MDL

I love the 7th Symphony, but the few others I've heard (6th and 9th) really haven't made much of an impression. I need to give them a few more listens, I suppose, but I understood the 7th the first time I heard it, while the others, to my ears, are rambling and lacking in strong ideas. When I start listening to the 7th, I can't help but listen to the whole work. But I really have to force myself to sit through the other symphonies. Being a big fan of Mahler, Sibelius, Berg and post-war music, I don't have a problem with the idiom.

Grazioso

Quote from: MDL on September 24, 2007, 03:03:26 AM
I love the 7th Symphony, but the few others I've heard (6th and 9th) really haven't made much of an impression. I need to give them a few more listens, I suppose, but I understood the 7th the first time I heard it, while the others, to my ears, are rambling and lacking in strong ideas. When I start listening to the 7th, I can't help but listen to the whole work. But I really have to force myself to sit through the other symphonies. Being a big fan of Mahler, Sibelius, Berg and post-war music, I don't have a problem with the idiom.

Try the 8th, which falls rather along the lines of the 7th. The structure and motifs aren't quite as tight and powerful, but it's still a moving, interesting work.

Hector

The central symphonies are the most accessible, generally speaking, that is 5 through to 9.

You, surely, cannot fail to respond to these?

Personally, I struggle to like both the 12th and the 16th.

I diverge from some viewpoints in that I think all of his symphonies end optimistically. There is hope at the end, all but a mere flicker, sometimes, but it is there, otherwise they would be a hard slog, indeed, even with his unerring melodic invention.

I can take enormous pleasure from the 5th, 6th and 9th symphonies, in particular.

Lethevich

Quote from: MDL on September 24, 2007, 03:03:26 AM

I also find the 7th head and shoulders above the rest, but the others are fun too. In addition to the recommendation of the 8th (which I would second), perhaps try the 16th, which is a concise work.

DavidW

Quote from: Lethe on September 24, 2007, 10:40:13 AM
I also find the 7th head and shoulders above the rest, but the others are fun too. In addition to the recommendation of the 8th (which I would second), perhaps try the 16th, which is a concise work.

When I get a Pettersson album from eclassical, I while go for the 7th then. :)

Lethevich

Quote from: DavidW on September 24, 2007, 02:56:03 PM

I hope you like it. It's a truly remarkable achivement IMO. Others (such as the 6th) are similarly negative in tone, but are more episodic. The 7th just rolls on and on, it reminds me of running out of air underwater or something :P

greg

Quote from: Harry on April 14, 2007, 12:46:03 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Pettersson

Read everything here my friend.

it says he was a son of a "violent alcoholic blacksmith"...
that must explain his music lol

Quote from: Grazioso on September 21, 2007, 04:45:31 AM
Some extended clips of 5 and 7:

http://www.uc.edu/libraries_CCM/pettersson/5compare.html
hey, where's 7? from how people are talking about it, i wanna listen again!

Grazioso

Quote from: greg on September 24, 2007, 03:10:55 PM
it says he was a son of a "violent alcoholic blacksmith"...
that must explain his music lol
hey, where's 7? from how people are talking about it, i wanna listen again!

http://www.uc.edu/libraries_CCM/pettersson/7compare.html

Hector

Quote from: DavidW on September 24, 2007, 02:56:03 PM

That's where I started many years ago.

karlhenning

Wow!  All those composers take zero time to get through measures 1 to 32?  The mind reeeeeels!  8)

(Poorly designed chart.)

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on September 25, 2007, 05:40:11 AM

Wow!  All those composers take zero time to get through measures 1 to 32?  The mind reeeeeels!  8)

(Poorly designed chart.)
that's where they start, Mr. Special Ed  ;)

karlhenning

Quote from: greg on September 25, 2007, 05:43:40 AM
that's where they start, Mr. Special Ed  ;)

Then, the first row should be "m.1" not "mm.1-32" (begging the question, why 32? why not 16 or 84?)

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on September 25, 2007, 05:49:36 AM
Then, the first row should be "m.1" not "mm.1-32" (begging the question, why 32? why not 16 or 84?)
you mean the clip doesn't end on mm.32?...