Pettersson's Pavilion

Started by BachQ, April 08, 2007, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

I remember Paul quite well... Had sometimes singular views, would form opinions based on 30 second clips, something for which he got lots of flak. A very decent chap all the same. IIRC he lived in New Orleans at the time of hurricane Katrina.

Karl Henning

He also felt that Sibelius went downhill after the Violin Concerto, which is an eccentricity, but not genuinely insane  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 05, 2018, 10:42:32 AM
He also felt that Sibelius went downhill after the Violin Concerto, which is an eccentricity, but not genuinely insane  8)
I'm not sure I can agree... :D
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: André on June 04, 2018, 06:12:00 PM
I remember Paul quite well... Had sometimes singular views, would form opinions based on 30 second clips, something for which he got lots of flak. A very decent chap all the same. IIRC he lived in New Orleans at the time of hurricane Katrina.

My two favorite Paulbisms:

1. the claim "Russians do not listen to DSCH"

2. the only good Beethoven recording was "PC1/Helen Huang," i.e. an early, not quite mature piece played by a teenager.

Also, he had the "Royal Round Table," around which he would seat various composers in positions corresponding to his current preferences.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on June 05, 2018, 12:34:26 PM

My two favorite Paulbisms:

1. the claim "Russians do not listen to DSCH"

2. the only good Beethoven recording was "PC1/Helen Huang," i.e. an early, not quite mature piece played by a teenager.

Also, he had the "Royal Round Table," around which he would seat various composers in positions corresponding to his current preferences.

He's still reviewing on Amazon, so if you miss his quirky preference they are still available. :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on June 05, 2018, 03:05:09 PM
He's still reviewing on Amazon, so if you miss his quirky preference they are still available. :)

What . . . overall good news.  I see he posted a review of cat food.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 06, 2018, 04:05:32 AM
What . . . overall good news.  I see he posted a review of cat food.

but based on just a very small sample...

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Baron Scarpia

Little does he know that he is the subject of banter on GMG. Well, he can't register, so it is moot.  >:(

J

Paul had no education of any kind that I could ever discern, yet believed himself a discriminating critic of all things (including music).

When it wasn't annoying, it was endearing.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: J on February 15, 2019, 07:51:22 AM
Paul had no education of any kind that I could ever discern.   Yet he fancied himself a discriminating critic of all things (music included).

It was endearing.

As a source of entertaining opinions uninhibited by anything so vulgar as knowledge, Paulb had few rivals.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

SymphonicAddict

These sonatas for two violins left me perplexed and a bit disturbed. It's impressive the emotional weight one feels on listening to this. Music that seems coming from the deepest parts of the human psyche, even they sound diabolical! Not only are the anguished sentiments they convey, but also the acrobacies and sonorities that two instruments can create. It's not straightforward music, but somehow I enjoyed this! Scary and fascinating. My favorites were the 5th and 6th.

André

Scary and fascinating indeed. Deeply ugly at times, they exert a kind of perverse appeal. The version I have is different, but I would imagine they are comparable.

SymphonicAddict

Good to know that there are more people who enjoy these works. I suppose you, André, have the BIS recording which has other fillers, right?

André

71 dB

I revisited Symphony No. 6, the only Pettersson work/disc I have. This Symphony is an one hour "block". The more beautiful latter half of it did impress me and I like it more than the first half. The second half of this Symphony made me interested to explore Pettersson further.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on January 15, 2020, 09:51:50 AM
I revisited Symphony No. 6, the only Pettersson work/disc I have. This Symphony is an one hour "block". The more beautiful latter half of it did impress me and I like it more than the first half. The second half of this Symphony made me interested to explore Pettersson further.

Then you should checkout his 7th symphony. This is the only work of his I actively like. You can keep the rest of it.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 15, 2020, 10:14:41 AM
Then you should checkout his 7th symphony. This is the only work of his I actively like. You can keep the rest of it.

The only one you actively like? Okay, I'll check it out, thanks!  ;)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on January 15, 2020, 12:42:24 PM
The only one you actively like? Okay, I'll check it out, thanks!  ;)

:) If you can find the recording for a good price, go with Segerstam on BIS.