Pettersson's Pavilion

Started by BachQ, April 08, 2007, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: The new erato on January 20, 2020, 04:44:55 AM
I wouldn't call it info, more an opinion. Pettersson like all composers are open to a variety of interpretations, and withe the scarcity of available recordings, Lindberg's are a valuable addition. I find his smallerscale approach and superb acoustics to bring new and vaulable insights to some of the works.

I wish Kamu's 6th and Commisiona's 8th were available on CD as well. I have the LPs of course.

I'll try to listen to these performances on Spotify or so and see if I even like the work and which performance I like the best before paying the big money for the CD...  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Now I have listened to Segerstam's take on #7 on Spotify and do like the Symphony!
Even the sound quality seems very good. So, looks like this is a disc to get.

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on January 22, 2020, 08:09:00 AM
Now I have listened to Segerstam's take on #7 on Spotify and do like the Symphony!
Even the sound quality seems very good. So, looks like this is a disc to get.

I hate to say it, but I told ya so! :P Glad you enjoyed this recording.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 22, 2020, 08:10:09 AM
I hate to say it, but I told ya so! :P Glad you enjoyed this recording.

I hate to say it, but you loved to say it.  ;D

Mirror Image

vandermolen

Following discussions here I'm now on my second listen through to this recording of Symphony No.7. It conveys a real sense of Odyssey:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

rw1883

Quote from: vandermolen on January 20, 2020, 12:10:15 AM
I'm fond of Kamu's old CBS LP of Symphony No.6 and wish it was on CD. I find 'the long struggle towards the sunrise' at the end of the work (as the sleeve-note puts it) very affecting in that performance:

The Pettersson 6 (Kamu), 8 (Comissiona), and 10 (Dorati) can be found here: https://www.haydnhouse.com/HH20.htm. The 9th (Comissiona) is coupled with Symphony No. 6. Really good transfers!

Daverz

Quote from: vandermolen on January 23, 2020, 01:27:38 PM
Following discussions here I'm now on my second listen through to this recording of Symphony No.7. It conveys a real sense of Odyssey:

This would be my top choice as well, with Comissiona second, but I admit I haven't compared with Dorati or Segerstam.  There's also Albrecht on Qobuz.

Changing gears, there's a new recording of Vox Humana on CPO:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8683865--allan-pettersson-vox-humana-6-sanger

vandermolen

Quote from: rw1883 on January 23, 2020, 06:51:53 PM
The Pettersson 6 (Kamu), 8 (Comissiona), and 10 (Dorati) can be found here: https://www.haydnhouse.com/HH20.htm. The 9th (Comissiona) is coupled with Symphony No. 6. Really good transfers!
Thank you!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on January 23, 2020, 09:04:10 PM
This would be my top choice as well, with Comissiona second, but I admit I haven't compared with Dorati or Segerstam.  There's also Albrecht on Qobuz.

Changing gears, there's a new recording of Vox Humana on CPO:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8683865--allan-pettersson-vox-humana-6-sanger
The Dorati is very special. Maybe because it was my first encounter with the work on a Decca LP. I also like the Segerstam recording.

Daverz

Quote from: Daverz on January 23, 2020, 09:04:10 PM

A beautiful disc, featuring attractive solo voices and a fine smallish chorus.  Our Morbid Mr. Pettersson only really shows up in the last movement of Vox Humana, and the songs are beautifully sung by Jakob Höström.

71 dB

I can't find the Segerstam 7 for the price I am willing to pay so that's that. It's insane what they ask on eBay, like $30 with shipping. Good deals on eBay are very rare when it comes to CDs. If you are ok paying $30 for a CD than eBay is a cool place to make discoveries, but I am not. Amazon has the CD much cheaper, but not cheap enough.

The new erato

What is wrong wth europadiscs GBP 7,86?

https://www.europadisc.co.uk/search/europadisc_results.htm

Do you absolutely need to buy from the (in my opinion) rather suspect Amazon?

André

Quote from: Daverz on January 23, 2020, 10:28:57 PM
A beautiful disc, featuring attractive solo voices and a fine smallish chorus.  Our Morbid Mr. Pettersson only really shows up in the last movement of Vox Humana, and the songs are beautifully sung by Jakob Höström.

Maybe I should try this version. The one on BIS leaves me indifferent.

71 dB

Quote from: The new erato on January 24, 2020, 07:01:10 AM
What is wrong wth europadiscs GBP 7,86?

https://www.europadisc.co.uk/search/europadisc_results.htm

Do you absolutely need to buy from the (in my opinion) rather suspect Amazon?

Thanks for the tip!

I have never bought anything from there. To me it shows price £9.41. Postage seems to be £2.00. So, that's £11.41 total = 13.70 €.
That's pretty much where my limit is, around 13-14 euros.

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on January 24, 2020, 10:26:12 AM
Thanks for the tip!

I have never bought anything from there. To me it shows price £9.41. Postage seems to be £2.00. So, that's £11.41 total = 13.70 €.

The discogs website has it for £9.12 but you'd still have to pay the postage charge to Finland.

Sef

Quote from: 71 dB on January 24, 2020, 10:26:12 AM
Thanks for the tip!

6 or 7 US $ from eclassical.com for a flac or mp3 download - that's if you don't want/need the shiny piece of plastic.
"Do you think that I could have composed what I have composed, do you think that one can write a single note with life in it if one sits there and pities oneself?"

Maestro267

I really want to make a start on these symphonies. Now if I were to simply ask for a good starting point, I know exactly what answer I would get. So I want a different answer. Assume I already have No. 7. What would be the next most-approachable (relatively speaking) of Pettersson's symphonies?

André

Its proximate neighbours, nos 6 and 8.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on March 02, 2020, 07:31:17 AM
Its proximate neighbours, nos 6 and 8.

Yes, André is right!  :)

Also, you have to hear VC No.2 IMO one of the greatest ever written.