Pettersson's Pavilion

Started by BachQ, April 08, 2007, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

I have this strange conflict, between being daunted by Nos. 9 & 13, and being curious about them and wanting to get the process of digesting them started as soon as possible, perhaps even before some of the (relatively and assumedly) "easier" symphonies.

MusicTurner

That 8th Symphony with Comissiona was also released on the Swedish Polar label - the one I have (photo below).
In that work, I like Thomas Sanderling and Comissiona the most, rather than Segerstam.
I don't recall if I've heard G. Albrecht's version.

The 9th Symphony with Comissiona is on you-tube, but it has been mentioned here before. It was the only LP release of that work.
Comissiona spends 85 minutes, about 15 minutes longer than the others, which obviously slows down the music a lot, and gives very different results, making it less violent and aggressive. It's a masterpiece, IMHO, and the later parts become hypnotic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO_SxlgDBf (maybe not always working)

I believe CD transfers are available somewhere on the web.

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on June 18, 2020, 11:13:28 PM
I have 2 copies of that one.  I think it's still my preferred No. 8.  Comissiona was a really fine champion of Mr. P's music.
+1 I also think highly of his CD of Symphony No.7, bizarrely coupled with Mozart!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 18, 2020, 08:20:18 PM
The 10th is one of the shorter ones, too,

That's probably one reason why I like it - it's not an endless rant like the 13th. To me it sounds somewhat like Mahler 5/ii with the soft parts ripped out and the loud ones extended to 25 minutes.

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 18, 2020, 11:33:11 PM
That 8th Symphony with Comissiona was also released on the Swedish Polar label - the one I have (photo below).

I suspect that's the reason it was never issued on CD - DG didn't have the rights to it.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 18, 2020, 10:10:28 PM
I've struggled with No.10 and No.9. Apart from symphonies 6-8 it is the VC No.2 which has had the greatest impact on me. Personally I consider it one of the best violin concertos ever written. I discovered all the above works on LP and like Mr Hurwitz was delighted and amazed to find a Pettersson symphony on a DGG LP when it was first released.
AP looks (slightly) more cheerful than usual in the photo:

Very cool, Jeffrey. What is your preferred performance of the Violin Concerto No. 2? There are several recordings now: Haendel/Blomstedt, Keulen/Dausgaard and Wallin/Lindberg.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on June 19, 2020, 06:24:35 AM
That's probably one reason why I like it - it's not an endless rant like the 13th. To me it sounds somewhat like Mahler 5/ii with the soft parts ripped out and the loud ones extended to 25 minutes.

That's an interesting description. I'll have to revisit this symphony.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 19, 2020, 06:28:40 AM
Very cool, Jeffrey. What is your preferred performance of the Violin Concerto No. 2? There are several recordings now: Haendel/Blomstedt, Keulen/Dausgaard and Wallin/Lindberg.
Well John, I think that I remain loyal to the Ida Haendel/Blomstedt version which had such an impact on me when I discovered the (very nicely produced) LP. I also enjoy (if that's the right word!) the version released on CPO. The other day I discovered the BIS/Lindberg recording still in its cellophane wrapper - so I need to get round to that one.
How about you?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

71 dB

Pettersson's 7th coupled with Mozart's Bassoon Concerto?  ???  ;D Now I have seen it all!  0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 20, 2020, 03:32:13 AM
Well John, I think that I remain loyal to the Ida Haendel/Blomstedt version which had such an impact on me when I discovered the (very nicely produced) LP. I also enjoy (if that's the right word!) the version released on CPO. The other day I discovered the BIS/Lindberg recording still in its cellophane wrapper - so I need to get round to that one.
How about you?

I seem to be rather partial to the Keulen/Dausgaard performance, but I should revisit this one and the Haendel/Blomstedt. I have the Wallin/Lindberg, too, but I have come to the conclusion that Linberg just doesn't make this music come alive like Segerstam has done for example.

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on June 20, 2020, 03:44:33 AM
Pettersson's 7th coupled with Mozart's Bassoon Concerto?  ???  ;D Now I have seen it all!  0:)

I wonder how many people bought that CD for the Mozart Bassoon Concerto!

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 20, 2020, 06:43:06 AM
I wonder how many pool bought that CD for the Mozart Bassoon Concerto!

Hah! An interesting thought, Jeffrey. :)

MusicTurner

I'd guess that Pettersson's symphonies often have some quite busy bassoonists; he has some striking passages involving the lower winds, including the woodwinds, and seemed to like writing for them ...

71 dB

I wonder how many pool bought that CD for the Mozart Bassoon Concerto!

Yeah, I almost added that question to my post. Many fans of Mozart are wondering "Who the hell is this obscure Swede?"  ;D

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 20, 2020, 06:50:24 AM
I'd guess that Pettersson's symphonies often have some quite busy bassoonists; he has some striking passages involving the lower winds, including the woodwinds, and seemed to like writing for them ...

Busy bassoonists playing Pettersson are busyynists.  ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on June 20, 2020, 12:57:02 PM
Yeah, I almost added that question to my post. Many fans of Mozart are wondering "Who the hell is this obscure Swede?"  ;D

Very nice! I've now corrected 'pool' to 'people' in my original post  ::)

MusicTurner

Quote from: 71 dB on June 20, 2020, 12:57:02 PM

Yeah, Pettersson also means bassoon business ...

there's likewise one of the few chamber works, the Fugue in E, where the bassoon is one of 3 selected instruments, together with the oboe and the clarinet.

Daverz

I wonder how many people bought that CD for the Mozart Bassoon Concerto!

Like the Symphony, it's a live recording, and something goes wrong with the bassoonists reed (I'm guessing).  There are some odd quacking noises.

71 dB

Quote from: vandermolen on June 21, 2020, 12:25:57 AM
Very nice! I've now corrected 'pool' to 'people' in my original post  ::)

Strange. I didn't notice any typo in your post...  :P

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 21, 2020, 12:29:52 AM

there's likewise one of the few chamber works, the Fugue in E, where the bassoon is one of 3 selected instruments, together with the oboe and the clarinet.

Fugue for Oboe, Clarinet and Bassoon? Interesting! I may have to check it out.

aukhawk

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 18, 2020, 11:33:11 PM
The 9th Symphony with Comissiona is on you-tube, but it has been mentioned here before. It was the only LP release of that work.
Comissiona spends 85 minutes, about 15 minutes longer than the others, which obviously slows down the music a lot, and gives very different results, making it less violent and aggressive. It's a masterpiece, IMHO, and the later parts become hypnotic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO_SxlgDBf (maybe not always working)

I believe CD transfers are available somewhere on the web.

That 9th CD (2x) / FLAC / MP3 is available (greatly overpriced due to the 2x CD transfer) here:
http://klassichaus.us/Copied-Pettersson-Symphony-No--8.php

It's a needledrop (but needledrops can be very good and sometimes better than old tape sources).
A brief listen to some climaxes on my laptop (not on my main system) it sounds nice and clean, good stereo, but a bit rolled-off in the higher frequencies.

Warning: - that site is a bit of a mess around Pettersson - you'll note the above link appears to refer to the 8th.  Both symphonies are linked from this lister page:
http://klassichaus.us/Orchestral-Page-6.php
but if you click on the picture for No.9 it is crosslinked back to the purchase/download page for No.8.   :-X
If you click on the blue files link for No.9 it takes you to the first link I posted above - from where you can indeed buy and download the correct recording.  To add insult to injury CD2 is then described as 'Symphony No.1 Part 2' when it is in fact (I hope!!) Symphony No.9 Part 2.   :-X   :-X

vandermolen

Sad news for Pettersson fans. Her performance of the VC No.2 was an absolute revelation to me:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/01/ida-haendel-obituary
[/img]

The new erato

I have both. LP and CD. Bought a few Ida Handel discs in the 70ies. Wish there was a complete edition.