Pettersson's Pavilion

Started by BachQ, April 08, 2007, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

Yes, I kept both too ...

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 07, 2020, 08:32:43 AM
Yes, I kept both too ...
As did I. I recall that the LP was extremely well presented and I liked the cover image as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

Ordered two more Pettersson discs. Symphony No. 2 and Symphonic Movement on CPO (Alun Francis), and Symphonies Nos. 7 & 11 on BIS (Leif Segerstam). On top of that, I'm listening to No. 6 again to celebrate this fact, and I think I might be finally warming to it. One aspect I find fascinating is the almost constant underpinning of percussion he uses throughout pretty much every bar of this hour-long monolith.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 01, 2020, 05:55:58 AM
Ordered two more Pettersson discs. Symphony No. 2 and Symphonic Movement on CPO (Alun Francis), and Symphonies Nos. 7 & 11 on BIS (Leif Segerstam). On top of that, I'm listening to No. 6 again to celebrate this fact, and I think I might be finally warming to it. One aspect I find fascinating is the almost constant underpinning of percussion he uses throughout pretty much every bar of this hour-long monolith.
Ah yes, and 'the long struggle towards the sunrise' (Symphony No.6). Segerstam's No.7 is a terrific performance IMO.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

I'd point to the version of Symphony XI on that Segerstam disc ;)

Maestro267

Listening to Symphony No. 7 for the first time properly. I'm in the middle of one of his beautiful "lyrical islands" right now, the passage for strings alone around 30 mins in. This is incredible music! The B minor motif that repeats a lot near the beginning, while all around it is change and uncertainty, this motif remains unblemished.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 08, 2020, 03:16:37 AM
Listening to Symphony No. 7 for the first time properly. I'm in the middle of one of his beautiful "lyrical islands" right now, the passage for strings alone around 30 mins in. This is incredible music! The B minor motif that repeats a lot near the beginning, while all around it is change and uncertainty, this motif remains unblemished.
It's rightly the best known of the Pettersson symphonies I think.

CRCulver

I'm told that BIS's recording of the Viola Concerto and Symphony No. 15, with Lindberg and the Norrköping SO, will be released in February.

Maestro267

And before then, No. 12 in the same cycle is coming out in January.

kyjo

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 08, 2020, 03:16:37 AM

Oh yes, it's totally transcendent stuff. The contrast between darkness and light (and different shades in between) throughout the work mark the 7th out to be an undoubted masterpiece.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

My overall favorites are 6 and 7, or at least they represent my fresher Pettersson. Maybe the 6th sounds more agonizing. I don't remember how the 8th sounds like: more hopeful or darker?.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

I couldn't pass on Pettersson's 8th. This time with Segerstam on BIS. Two big slow parts or movements, there are many slow and pensive passages. The struggle I feel here is more heroic, not as desolate as in others before (or even after). And there's not too much tension either. For me it's a symphony of relative rest. The climax at the minute 16 from Part II is impressive, nevertheless.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

springrite

Quote from: CRCulver on December 08, 2020, 02:31:29 PM
I'm told that BIS's recording of the Viola Concerto and Symphony No. 15, with Lindberg and the Norrköping SO, will be released in February.

Another recording of the Viola Concerto? It's already coupled with the Symphony #5.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

CRCulver

Sorry, I misremembered the BIS schedule: it is the recording of the Twelve that is coming in February.

But yes, eventually a recording of the Symphony No. 15 paired with the Viola Concerto will come out on BIS. Christian Lindberg and the Norrköping SO performed it in concert in November 2019 and recorded it around the same time. BIS is trying to do a complete Christian Lindberg cycle of Pettersson orchestral works, even if it duplicates things that had already been recorded for the label before.

Maestro267

Yeah, the assortment of BIS recordings of the symphonies was not complete. As far as I can tell, only 3 & 15, 5 & Viola Concerto, 7 & 11, and 8 & 10 were released. But this new Lindberg cycle is fairly close to completion now.

Maestro267

I feel like I've reached a breakthrough with Pettersson's music. In the last week I've finally tackled what are reputed to be his two most difficult symphonies, Nos. 9 & 13, and I haven't been repelled by them at all! They are both incredibly intense.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Maestro267 on February 27, 2021, 06:09:05 AM
I feel like I've reached a breakthrough with Pettersson's music. In the last week I've finally tackled what are reputed to be his two most difficult symphonies, Nos. 9 & 13, and I haven't been repelled by them at all! They are both incredibly intense.

You're a braver man than I. I like the 7th symphony, but that's about it.

Maestro267

My brain is racked, to be fair. But I certainly haven't been turned away from hearing them again.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 27, 2021, 06:15:00 AM
You're a braver man than I. I like the 7th symphony, but that's about it.
Symphony 6-8 and the Violin Concerto No.2 are the ones that I listen to most often.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on March 01, 2021, 11:41:16 AM
Symphony 6-8 and the Violin Concerto No.2 are the ones that I listen to most often.

I do seem to have enjoyed the 8th the last time I listened to it. I should revisit the 6th and Violin Concerto No. 2, but, unfortunately, I don't think I have the stamina. ;) ;D