Pettersson's Pavilion

Started by BachQ, April 08, 2007, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BachQ

BachQ

Swedish Composer Gustav Allan Pettersson (September 19, 1911 – June 20, 1980)

"The music forming my work is my own life, its blessings, its curses: in order to rediscover the song once sung by the soul."

"I am not a composer. I am a voice crying out, (something that should not be forgotten) that threatens to drown in the noise of the times."

--     Allan Pettersson

BachQ

BTW, Allan Pettersson's Symphony No. 7 is  my personal favorite . . . . . .

Harry

I am very sorry, but I LOVE them all! 8)

springrite

Quote from: Harry on April 08, 2007, 03:48:53 AM

Can't say I have them all since I only have 5 of the symphonies and the viola concerto, but I love what I do have!

Guido

Don't get the violin concerto no.2 yet. I found it quite boring to listen too :o - hystronics for 50 minutes!!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

BachQ

Quote from: Harry on April 08, 2007, 03:48:53 AM

Harry, I like what you wrote about Pettersson's Symphony no. 2:

Allan Pettersson.

Symphony No. 2

BBC Scottish SO/Alun Francis.

If there ever was composer that impressed me most of all this last year, its Pettersson for sure.  This second Symphony is a dream, a dream in notes, a excess of tonal beauty, a overflowing cup of inward and outward genius.

I worship this beauty, and bow deeply, for what I have the chance to listen too. I am permitted to sit down and enjoy this fantastic music, gloriously recorded and performed. That Alun Francis is a deeply committed conductor is clear from the outset as the Symphony starts PPPP, and flows into being out of thin air, and forms one magnificent movement of tonal perfection.
Because for me it is that, exactly.

Harry

Quote from: D Minor on April 08, 2007, 04:05:51 AM

Allan Pettersson.

Symphony No. 2

If there ever was composer that impressed me most of all this last year, its Pettersson for sure.  This second Symphony is a dream, a dream in notes, a excess of tonal beauty, a overflowing cup of inward and outward genius.

I worship this beauty, and bow deeply, for what I have the chance to listen too. I am permitted to sit down and enjoy this fantastic music, gloriously recorded and performed. That Alun Francis is a deeply committed conductor is clear from the outset as the Symphony starts PPPP, and flows into being out of thin air, and forms one magnificent movement of tonal perfection.
Because for me it is that, exactly.

Thank you so much, for giving me the opportunity to read it again, and for your compliment.
In my player, the second Symphony! :)

Harry

Quote from: Shunk_Manitu_Tanka on April 08, 2007, 05:20:07 AM
I, too, love his 7th, as I love his 6th (the only two i've heard)... well, "love" is a little weak to describe my admiration and addiction for this "voice crying out" (héhé): as Harry said, it is tonal perfection. But not only that; the atmosphere, the emotional expression of this music.. everything is just so intense, no matter what it communicates, be it sorrow, rage, madness, beauty... etc. And those melodies! The man can crush me like no other!

I'm waiting for his 8th; cant wait to hear it!

Yes, you add some things which also played a important part in assessing Pettersson for me!

Thom

When I discovered Pettersson, it was a bit of a shock. His 7th and 8th are very dramatic symphonies which evoke strong emotions, with me that is. I listened to all of the symphonies (with the execption of the first - has it been recorded yet?) and I find the nos. 5 -9 the most accessible.

X

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: D Minor on April 08, 2007, 04:05:51 AM

Allan Pettersson.

Symphony No. 2

I worship this beauty, and bow deeply, for what I have the chance to listen too. I am permitted to sit down and enjoy this fantastic music, gloriously recorded and performed.

Harry, you sound like Anton Bruckner after hearing a performance of Parsifal and then gushing with superlatives.

Harry

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 08, 2007, 10:36:57 AM
Harry, you sound like Anton Bruckner after hearing a performance of Parsifal and then gushing with superlatives.

Really? ???

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Harry on April 08, 2007, 11:04:54 AM
Really? ???

Yeah, really. In David Dubal's Essential Canons of Classical Music he writes:

An excerpt from a letter reveals Bruckner's fawning hero worsjip: In 1882, "The Master, took my hand and said...'Have you been to Parsifal?' I bent down on my knee, kissing and pressing his noble hand to my mouth, and said, 'Oh Master, I worship you !'

Harry

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 08, 2007, 11:55:45 AM
Yeah, really. In David Dubal's Essential Canons of Classical Music he writes:

An excerpt from a letter reveals Bruckner's fawning hero worsjip: In 1882, "The Master, took my hand and said...'Have you been to Parsifal?' I bent down on my knee, kissing and pressing his noble hand to my mouth, and said, 'Oh Master, I worship you !'

I am not against worshipping!
I try to write as I feel, and that feels good to me.

BachQ

Quote from: Harry on April 08, 2007, 12:35:41 PM
I am not against worshipping!
I try to write as I feel, and that feels good to me.

Perhaps you "worship" the music (or its beauty), not the composer . . . . . .

Harry

Quote from: D Minor on April 08, 2007, 12:39:40 PM
Perhaps you "worship" the music (or its beauty), not the composer . . . . . .

Absolutely correct. ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Guido on April 08, 2007, 03:59:06 AM
Don't get the violin concerto no.2 yet. I found it quite boring to listen too :o - hystronics for 50 minutes!!

I think that it's Pettersson's masterpiece, the last ten minutes or so are amongst the most moving things I know in music.  Symphony 6-8 are my favourites.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Quote from: Guido on April 08, 2007, 03:59:06 AM

Well that's your opinion! I think it is very good, and not at all boring.

Guido

That's just my first impression - from the amount of proponants the piece has here I know I need to listen a few more times. It reminded me of Gorecki's 3rd Symphony in scale and how it used material (and relative slow moving structure).
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away