Pettersson's Pavilion

Started by BachQ, April 08, 2007, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulb

Quote from: Lethe on January 27, 2008, 01:43:59 PM
If you describe it a little more, somebody who already knows it may be able to help.

How do you like the castle i found. I will look into the history and design of the structure. seems to be a  city in itself. Which is what Pettersson's muisc is,  a  completeness, a Mandala :)

Its King Ludwig's castle
found it on this page
http://www.mediaspec.com/castles/

J.Z. Herrenberg

That's funny, Paul. But now you are in Wagner's territory! Ludwig II of Bavaria adored Wagner's operas, and his (two) castles are very sumptuous and baroque, filled with paintings of Wagnerian characters. One of them even has a 'Lohengrin grotto' with fake swan... No, I don't think this fits Pettersson's bill...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

J.Z. Herrenberg

What about Gaudí's 'Sagrada Familia' in Barcelona? An unfinished cathedral, organic, apocalyptic?
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

paulb

My hunch was correct, has a  magnificient byzantine chruch inside. I do think we may have found a  castle stylized around the music of Allan Pettersson .
can you imagine a concert with one of those excellent german orchestras on CPO playing the complete works of Pettersson, where the muisc fills the entire castle, so even when you are in the farthest tower, you can hear the power and hauntings of the spiritual nature of the muisc.
btw, the 12th will  be played at the stroke of midnight, candle light, in  the church. ;)

paulb

Quote from: Jezetha on January 27, 2008, 02:05:18 PM
What about Gaudí's 'Sagrada Familia' in Barcelona? An unfinished cathedral, organic, apocalyptic?

WOW what a  sight! I hope to visit this strange looking cathedreal, if /when i ever make it to europe ::)

J.Z. Herrenberg

I think it's too beautiful, Paul. When I look back at my listening experience last week (symphonies 6 & 7), I see granite, pain, a bleak light, explosions, a wide expanse, much darkness...

Lethevich

Quote from: Jezetha on January 27, 2008, 01:59:04 PM
That's funny, Paul. But now you are in Wagner's territory! Ludwig II of Bavaria adored Wagner's operas, and his (two) castles are very sumptuous and baroque, filled with paintings of Wagnerian characters. One of them even has a 'Lohengrin grotto' with fake swan... No, I don't think this fits Pettersson's bill...

;D

I propose Harlech Castle. It was built by Edward I during his conquest of Wales, and is one of the more advanced fortifications in Europe - modeled after Krak des Chevaliers, but it got so neglected that it was overrun by 21 of the local population :P I guess that counts as anti-imperial ;D

It was originally right next to the sea, but in the passing time, the sea has receeded.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lethe on January 27, 2008, 02:09:32 PM
it got so neglected that it was overrun by 21 of the local population :P I guess that counts as anti-imperial ;D

;D

Now I know what the song 'Men of Harlech' is referring to!

Thom

Quote from: paulb on January 27, 2008, 01:11:35 PM
I believe Comissiona mentions this on the DVD documentary I have on Pettersson, one day soon i'll eplay it.
I only saw it once.

Paul, could you tell us more about this documentary? Is it in English?

paulb

Quote from: Jezetha on January 27, 2008, 02:08:08 PM
I think it's too beautiful, Paul. When I look back at my listening experience last week (symphonies 6 & 7), I see granite, pain, a bleak light, explosions, a wide expanse, much darkness...

I missed your post last night.
Yes its too beautiful as a  place where Pettersson's music would seem out of place.
But recall, this castle with its exquisite church was not illuminated as in this photo. Oh no. It was by candle lights, torch style fixtures. So now go back and use your imagination. This castle in the day fully blooming with bright day light, as its high on the mountain, clouds passing and alternating the shades of light during the day. At night the candles are lit, and thats when pettersson's music comes alive in the castle's main hall room. The music bouncing off the high acoustic walls, projecting throughout the entire castle.   I think you are right the 12th is the only one to be performed in the church, twice a  year.
See now how this might be justified as Pettersson's Pavilion :)
Can you imagine is there was a  all Pettersson sym cycle concert there, and all Petterssonians had the liberty and time to attend, no matter what part of this world they are located. :)

paulb

Quote from: Thom on January 27, 2008, 09:57:26 PM
Paul, could you tell us more about this documentary? Is it in English?

I'll try to replay it today. Its like the public station of sweden that produced the documentary. Its mostly in swedish, Comissiona and a  few others make small contributions in english. I'll try to write down the english parts.
The film shows Pettersson walking down his old apartment on the 3rd floor, for the last time in his life, as now he was provided with a new accomadation on ground level.  He is shown slowly struggling down the staircase,  he was partly paralyzed.  He gives an  interview talking passionately about his music.
I'll try to have someone burn a  copy and send it to one of our members who know swedish.

Thom

The new erato

I've seen it - it was aired on Norwegian Television many years ago.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: paulb on January 28, 2008, 05:39:12 AM
I missed your post last night.
Yes its too beautiful as a  place where Pettersson's music would seem out of place.
But recall, this castle with its exquisite church was not illuminated as in this photo. Oh no. It was by candle lights, torch style fixtures. So now go back and use your imagination. This castle in the day fully blooming with bright day light, as its high on the mountain, clouds passing and alternating the shades of light during the day. At night the candles are lit, and thats when pettersson's music comes alive in the castle's main hall room. The music bouncing off the high acoustic walls, projecting throughout the entire castle.   I think you are right the 12th is the only one to be performed in the church, twice a  year.
See now how this might be justified as Pettersson's Pavilion :)
Can you imagine is there was a  all Pettersson sym cycle concert there, and all Petterssonians had the liberty and time to attend, no matter what part of this world they are located. :)

Okay, okay, you win!

There isn't a second monarch in the history of music who was so obsessed by a composer. And the loneliness of Pettersson isn't perhaps as far removed from that of Ludwig II... Neuschwanstein (or the other one) it'll be!

Wagner will not be happy. But he already has his own theatre (partly paid for by that same Ludwig).

Johan

paulb

Quote from: Jezetha on January 28, 2008, 08:20:37 AM
Okay, okay, you win!

There isn't a second monarch in the history of music who was so obsessed by a composer. And the loneliness of Pettersson isn't perhaps as far removed from that of Ludwig II... Neuschwanstein (or the other one) it'll be!

Wagner will not be happy. But he already has his own theatre (partly paid for by that same Ludwig).

Johan

thanks for seeing this mighty castle with its own magificient church inside as the offical Pettersson's Pavilion.
Good to know Ludwig also had suffered depression and loneliness as did Pettersson, so there is a  connection. And that Ludwig  funded the arts. Of all castles in europe, I seemed to zero in on the ideal one :)

But seriously could you imagine attending  an   all day Pettersson concert in the castle's main hall., cluminating with the 12th at midnight in the church :o

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: paulb on January 28, 2008, 10:06:55 AM
But seriously could you imagine attending an all day Pettersson concert in the castle's main hall., culminating in the 12th at midnight in the church :o

I can't. I won't. It's too hair-raising...  ;)

greg

Quote from: paulb on January 28, 2008, 05:47:29 AM

I'll try to have someone burn a  copy and send it to one of our members who know swedish.

that would be cool!

(though the only person on here i know that speaks Swedish is Daidalos......)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on January 28, 2008, 11:25:11 AM
that would be cool!

(though the only person on here i know that speaks Swedish is Daidalos......)

If erato is Norwegian, we have another who can understand Swedish (as Scandinavians generally can understand each other, although Danish poses a problem). I can read it, and more or less understand it, too, having taught myself Danish. Even better: one of my best friends is half Swedish, and her mother teaches Swedish at Amsterdam University... But can't you rip the DVD, Paul, and put it, in parts, on YouTube?

greg

Quote from: Jezetha on January 28, 2008, 11:41:17 AM
If erato is Norwegian, we have another who can understand Swedish (as Scandinavians generally can understand each other, although Danish poses a problem). I can read it, and more or less understand it, too, having taught myself Danish. Even better: one of my best friends is half Swedish, and her mother teaches Swedish at Amsterdam University... But can't you rip the DVD, Paul, and put it, in parts, on YouTube?
so...... what does that make you?

Quote from: Jezetha on January 28, 2008, 11:41:17 AM
But can't you rip the DVD, Paul, and put it, in parts, on YouTube?
yep, that'd be the best idea, then get anyone who could explain what is being said  :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on January 29, 2008, 06:51:13 AM
so...... what does that make you?

I am Dutch. The Scandinavian languages are the northern branch of the same family of languages; English, Frisian, Dutch and German the western. Learning a Scandinavian language isn't too difficult for a Dutchman.