Pettersson's Pavilion

Started by BachQ, April 08, 2007, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

thx xantus ... Well, I guess it's obvious, but have you realized the main motive of #7 is the reversed motive of beethoven #5/1.st mvmt?

greg

Quote from: Xantus' Murrelet on February 24, 2008, 04:41:31 PM
Don't know if anyone else posted this yet, but you can watch all of Pettersson 7 on youtube ! 

Check it out here.
cool! After listening to this yesterday, I was actually able to finally play back a lot of the symphony through the rest of the day. A lot of it is just minimalist-type repetition of motives, sort of in the style of Phillip Glass!

BachQ

Don't know if anyone else posted this yet, but you can watch all of Pettersson 7 on youtube ! 

Check it out here.

Just watched the whole thing ....... Wow! ....... Seeing that live is an extraordinary experience! ........ Thanks!

BachQ

Quote from: Wurstwasser on February 26, 2008, 05:14:22 AM
thx xantus ... Well, I guess it's obvious, but have you realized the main motive of #7 is the reversed motive of beethoven #5/1.st mvmt?

Yes, it resembles the reverse (inverse mirror image) of LvB's 4-note motif.  But Pettersson's 4-note motif morphs throughout the symphony, including becoming a 5-note motif for the final half .......  :)

But it is a curious observation, nevertheless .........  8)

BachQ

Check it out here.

Allan Pettersson: Symphony 7
Recorded in Berwaldhallen in Stockholm, Sweden. Sergiu Comissiona is conducting the Swedish Radio Symphonic Orchestra.

Apparently, this derives from a TV broadcast recorded on a VHS tape (not great, but certainly acceptable).  The first 8 seconds (+/-) are missing; and, typical of YOUTUBE, the 40-minute symphony is divided into several subparts, thereby foreclosing seamless viewing.  But because there is no other way to view this performance (that I am aware of), I will happily accept it, and embrace it, warts 'n all.

1/5 http://www.youtube.com/v/mEOKf3pVn-o&feature=related

2/5 http://www.youtube.com/v/Pjz6Ep4iFFY&feature=related

3/5 http://www.youtube.com/v/QPNsCYANsUw&feature=related

4/5 http://www.youtube.com/v/cqwr5tS2BA0&feature=related

5/5 http://www.youtube.com/v/GwCmQCJ3Vxk&feature=related

The tam-tam climax in the middle of the symphony was a goosebump moment for me.

Varg

Quote from: Wurstwasser on February 26, 2008, 05:14:22 AM

That's true!

If the Beethoven motive is "2-2-2-1", the Pettersson motive is "1-2-2-2" (with an added "2" three  pulsations later).

greg

I finally understand the 7th symphony......

and man....
now that I do, I can't possibly say how much I enjoy it, how moving it is!
it really is the most pessimistic music in the universe, and for that (and repeated listenings) i'm really starting to understand it...
here's a man who's not afraid to put all his cards on the table, since there is nothing to lose anyways....

but what really SUCKS is that they have no other Pettersson symphonies on youtube. I'd love to listen to 6 and 8 again..... but I really don't want to spend any money for CDs. I'll have to check around, though....

BachQ

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on May 26, 2008, 02:35:10 PM
I finally understand the 7th symphony......

and man....
now that I do, I can't possibly say how much I enjoy it, how moving it is!
it really is the most pessimistic music in the universe, and for that (and repeated listenings) i'm really starting to understand it...

Greg, I agree.

When you listen to it, does your mind formulate an image (in the background / foreground) ......... like what the music is about or what's happening while this bleak music is playing?

I have an image, and it's very bleak.

BachQ

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on May 26, 2008, 02:35:10 PM
but what really SUCKS is that they have no other Pettersson symphonies on youtube. I'd love to listen to 6 and 8 again..... but I really don't want to spend any money for CDs. I'll have to check around, though....

Again I agree, but at the same time, I'm very grateful that the SEVENTH is available.  But it does whet your appetite for MORE PETTERSSON.

vandermolen

Check it out here.

Just listened to the first bit. Sound like a great performance. The opening has a greater sense of urgency than the Dorati or the alternatives on BIS or CPO. I wish DGG would reissue the Comissions No 8 (Baltimore SO) but that is probably wishful thinking. The recently issued Symphony "Da Pacem Domine" by Ross Edwards reminded me a bit of the slow movement of the Pettersson, although the Edwards score is a much more minimalist work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

karlhenning

not edward

And further thanks from here. I think the 8th is probably my favourite Pettersson symphony, so it will be interesting to hear an alternative take to Segerstam's.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

greg

greg

Quote from: Dm on May 26, 2008, 05:48:51 PM
Greg, I agree.

When you listen to it, does your mind formulate an image (in the background / foreground) ......... like what the music is about or what's happening while this bleak music is playing?

I have an image, and it's very bleak.
Yes, and it's very bleak, too.......

so many thoughts arise in my mind. I could write a LOT about this. I'll try to write what I can think of now.

I'd like to think of his music (especially this symphony) as being an extension (the final?) of Mahler/Wagner Romanticism, it's destination maybe, in spirit (not style).

Where with Mahler you have conflicting emotions at the same time in the last two symphonies (ecstasy and despair in one breath), Pettersson is much more focused on despair. Mahler's 10th is like looking into the light and being pushed back into the darkness, but Pettersson is like having been pushed into the darkness and resolving that there's no escape. It really does sound to me like the musical expression of someone confined to his apartment the rest of his life.

And I think sometimes of stuff like what it must be like to die in war, being full of hopes and dreams, but ending up dead on the ground as a corpse, dying "just because"..... nothing you can do about it. Just the way it is. And forever those dreams never come true.... I often have dreams of tornados, where I stand there, waiting for them to get me (and i just had a dream last night about being in one).... this fits in with the mood of this music.

Also, I can see Dm's thoughts, which maybe have to deal something with the fall of society. I don't even wanna think about the future, internationally. We're all just waiting for the next big, bad thing to happen and hopefully we aren't directly involved.

J.Z. Herrenberg

My last Pettersson upload:

http://rapidshare.com/files/118224928/Pettersson_-_Symphony_No._6__Okko_Kamu_-_vinyl_rip_.mp3

I got this from Usenet. The original poster wrote:

Allan Pettersson
Symphony No. 6

Norrköping Symphony Orchestra
Okko Kamu. conductor

From CBS Masterworks 76553 (European LP)
in-concert recording, April 11, 1976

Truly rare and stunning performance!

And I agree.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Lethevich

This one is even more appreciated ;D I found the CPO recording of the 6th to be among the most satisfying of their cycle, so it will be interesting to hear whether this can top it.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Hector

Quote from: Lethe on May 28, 2008, 12:59:28 AM
This one is even more appreciated ;D I found the CPO recording of the 6th to be among the most satisfying of their cycle, so it will be interesting to hear whether this can top it.

This is fine but the best of the CPO set are conducted by Francis.

In the other symphonies Segerstam trumps CPO but the BIS discs are pricey.

BIS, however, need to continue their excellent work and persuade Segerstam to record the rest of the cycle.