Pettersson's Pavilion

Started by BachQ, April 08, 2007, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

:) :)

If you are still smiling then I take off my hat to you ;D I think that I would be in a state of terminal depression :)

Oh, I know that's unfair! I DO like Pettersson. It's just, as I said, that I can only take so much :)

UB

My favorite Pettersson symphonies are 12 & 13 with 7 & 6 being next in line. However I would not listen to all four in one sitting - usually one is just right. There is just so much to absorb in this wonderful music.
I am not in the entertainment business. Harrison Birtwistle 2010

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Which one is the WFH? My favorites, in order: 6,7,8,9 - Still fighting with 10,11,13 ...

Sef

Quote from: Wurstwasser on October 26, 2008, 11:05:03 PM
Which one is the WFH? My favorites, in order: 6,7,8,9 - Still fighting with 10,11,13 ...
"WFH" is the best ever. No matter which composer, genre, individual works you either enjoy, or would like to investigate further, then "WFH" is the great enabler. "Working From Home"! Just about the only chance I get to listen to back to back music all day.
"Do you think that I could have composed what I have composed, do you think that one can write a single note with life in it if one sits there and pities oneself?"

Rotfl, I thought it was an Orchestras name.  8) Yes, I like the WFH symphony orchestra very much as well.

donaldopato

I find the 8th a shattering, incredible piece of music. I tend to turn to it time and time again. 7 and 10 would be next. They are all works of massive power and emotion.
Until I get my coffee in the morning I'm a fit companion only for a sore-toothed tiger." ~Joan Crawford

rw1883

Does anyone know what key (or alluded key, or notes) Pettersson's 7th symphony ends in?  Thank you...

Sef

"Do you think that I could have composed what I have composed, do you think that one can write a single note with life in it if one sits there and pities oneself?"

greg

Quote from: Sef on December 03, 2008, 01:38:55 PM
I think the "minor" should be assumed!
I'll just call the key BB Gun, then.
Just wait, it'll be in the text books one day.

karlhenning

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on December 04, 2008, 04:51:45 AM
No, it won't  8)
Fine, then, I'll just write my own. And I'll write whatever I want. I'll even include a Henning scale if I feel like it.

karlhenning

Quote from: G$ on December 04, 2008, 12:02:18 PM
Fine, then, I'll just write my own. And I'll write whatever I want. I'll even include a Henning scale if I feel like it.

They'll check the source, you know.

karlhenning

We have the 2009 Penguin Guide at the museum shop, and I leafed through it.  Found the bit deriding the length of the Ninth, which a neighbor (Colin?) posted.

Two months ago, I shouldn't much have believed it if someone had suggested that I would start a blog.  Let alone post on Pettersson.

Dundonnell

It was indeed I who drew your attention to the Penguin Guide's aversion to Pettersson, Karl(although not on this forum :)).

Your comparison on your blog with the music of Peter Mennin is remarkable! I am about to go out for the afternoon but will give this some thought and return to it later :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on December 05, 2008, 04:23:06 AM
Two months ago, I shouldn't much have believed it if someone had suggested that I would start a blog.  Let alone post on Pettersson.

paulb would be pleased  ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

karlhenning

Even paulb is entitled to some happiness  0:)  ;)

karlhenning

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 05, 2008, 04:34:30 AM
It was indeed I who drew your attention to the Penguin Guide's aversion to Pettersson, Karl(although not on this forum :)).

Ha! Je me souviens maintenant!

Congrats Karl, you've just saved your soul. Without AP, your life would just have been useless...