Pettersson's Pavilion

Started by BachQ, April 08, 2007, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Well, I don't know that I've gotten religion to quite that extent.

Bit of goose having the old soul saved, all the same!  ;)

not edward

I don't think I've ever heard the Ninth.

Maybe I should; it's been the 8th and 10th that have connected most with me thus far.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

karlhenning

Quote from: edward on December 05, 2008, 06:17:40 AM
I don't think I've ever heard the Ninth.

Maybe I should; it's been the 8th and 10th that have connected most with me thus far.

The Ninth blind-sided me.  The first disc I had heard was a two-conductor affair (Doráti being one) with the Seventh & Sixteenth . . . time I revisited that disc, too, but my initial response was something like it has neither my blessing nor my curse.

Now (IIRC) I think I tried taking the cycle in order on a time, but it was rather a desultory affair, and petered out before I might have made my way back to the Seventh.

I think I may just hit the Eighth and Tenth next . . . or, I may just need to be content that I like the Ninth a great deal  8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on December 05, 2008, 06:32:35 AMThe first disc I had heard was a two-conductor affair (Doráti being one) with the Seventh & Sixteenth . . . time I revisited that disc, too, but my initial response was something like it has neither my blessing nor my curse

Interesting...the 7th and 16th I'd name as favorites, although I consider the 16th a saxophone concerto rather than a symphony.

Your blog has inspired a re-listen of number nine. I'll do that after dinner.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

My last words: If you want "success", 6,7,8 - in that order. Believe the wise Wurst. :P
BTW, just curious: how did you find the Gimbel Word document - Google?

karlhenning

Quote from: Wurstwasser on December 05, 2008, 09:36:18 AM
BTW, just curious: how did you find the Gimbel Word document - Google?

Yes, and not with any special keywords . . . pettersson tenth, and it's the first link I see. 

greg

J.Z. Herrenberg

Allan Pettersson's Mesto for String Orchestra (Stig Westerberg, Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra):

http://www.mediafire.com/?zmhjnyyrtzw

This work is absolutely marvellous.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jezetha on December 20, 2008, 02:36:26 PM
Allan Pettersson's Mesto for String Orchestra (Stig Westerberg, Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra):

http://www.mediafire.com/?zmhjnyyrtzw

This work is absolutely marvellous.

Is there an avatar change coming? I hope not ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 20, 2008, 03:22:46 PM
Is there an avatar change coming? I hope not ;D

No, Ol' Havergal is still Da Man...  ;)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jezetha on December 20, 2008, 03:47:12 PM
No, Ol' Havergal is still Da Man...  ;)

I am sure that he would have been delighted to be so hailed ;D

snyprrr

No one has mentioned the only one I haven't heard, No.4.
Please enlighten me.

Dundonnell

Quote from: snyprrr on April 25, 2009, 03:51:13 PM
No one has mentioned the only one I haven't heard, No.4.
Please enlighten me.

Someone who is better than I am at distinguishing one Pettersson symphony from another  ;D will give you a more detailed response but the 4th is worth hearing. At around 38 minutes it is not too long; it is a transitional work between the early and more mature Pettersson. The single movement format does open the composer to accusations of structural incoherance but there is certainly a good deal of grandeur, shattering Shostakovichian climaxes etc etc.

If you are attuned to the Pettersson wavelength then it is worth adding to your collection. Sometimes I can 'get' Pettersson but on other occasions he just makes me too depressed. Depends on the mood, I find :)

snyprrr

PETTERSSON ALERT!!!

I saw that the Leipzig SQ is releasing the Cto.1 for violin and SQ, and the violin duos.
Finally some competition for the cpo disc (and I'd rather have the duets than the other ju-ve stuff).

Just wish they would release the original Fresk SQ recording.

karlhenning

Quote from: snyprrr on April 29, 2009, 10:45:33 AM
PETTERSSON ALERT!!!

I saw that the Leipzig SQ is releasing the Cto.1 for violin and SQ, and the violin duos.

Do you have a date on that?

snyprrr

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 14, 2009, 08:05:33 AM
Do you have a date on that?

Yea, her name is Brenda...but why do I get the feeling you don't care? ;) ::) ;D

Weren't we a busy little beaver this morning? ::) Doing "God's Work" again, are we??? ;D

The new erato

Quote from: snyprrr on June 14, 2009, 09:10:46 AM
Yea, her name is Brenda...but why do I get the feeling you don't care? ;) ::) ;D

Weren't we a busy little beaver this morning? ::) Doing "God's Work" again, are we??? ;D
So Brenda's beaver was busy? Lucky you!

karlhenning

I've got the Leipzigers playing the Mozart Lucchesi "Prussian" Quartets, and they do a dashed fine job.  I still haven't quite made my way through all the Pettersson symphonies, but I should in fact be interesting to hear a concerto for vn & str qt.

J.Z. Herrenberg

springrite

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 14, 2009, 09:30:00 AM
I should in fact be interesting to hear a concerto for vn & str qt.

Chausson Lite?
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.