Pettersson's Pavilion

Started by BachQ, April 08, 2007, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: J on August 17, 2010, 02:53:46 PMLike with most things he records Segerstam drags the tempos and lacks forward impetus (IMO).

I'm not sure if I agree that Segerstam drags the tempi on everything he conducts, but I do notice that the tempi on his Pettersson 7th and 11th are a little on the slow side. Seeing as I haven't heard other recordings of these works yet, I can't do any comparisons, but when I receive the Pettersson Cpo set, I'll let you know my impressions.

Lethevich

I just listened to Segerstam and Albrecht - Segerstam has a certain way of smoothing the work, not just tempo-wise, but giving it a very professional, velvety sounding quality. I found the Albrecht to be more nervous sounding, and with a clearer recorded sound although at times risking sounding slightly anemic next to BIS's plush production job. If I can find a time when the house is empty again I'll give the Dorati a try (nothing like playing Pettersson in the living area to piss off housemates).
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

karlhenning

Oh, gosh, sometimes I wish I didn't do InterNet searches:

QuoteAllan Pettersson is considered in Anglo-Saxon countries has the greatest Swedish composer, and is one of the few great composers of symphonies of the XXth century, with Gustav Mahler or Dimitri Shostakovich.

Half of that is the most shameless hyperbole.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 18, 2010, 06:37:25 AM

Only three great composers of symphonies in the 20th century?  The writer doesn't get out much, does he  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

karlhenning

Well, and of those three, that Pettersson is one.  No, he must not get around much.

karlhenning

Quote from: J on August 17, 2010, 08:59:30 AM
What a curious judgement.  To my sensibility the Dorati recording is utterly superior to CPO Albrecht, - and in fact, after numerous listens to Albrecht I remember thinking it might be the worst Pettersson performance I'd ever heard.  For example, the wonderously consolatory passage for strings that begins (in the Dorati recording) at about 25' - everyone who knows the Symphony knows the part I'm referring to - seems terribly disjointed and without much impact in Albrecht when up against Dorati's seamlessness and passion [....]

The Doráti recording is really great music-making there.

karlhenning

FWIW, in the view of the fellow/people responsible for the citation here, the Comissiona recording is the best of the Seventh, followed by the Doráti.

The new erato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 18, 2010, 06:58:02 AM
FWIW, in the view of the fellow/people responsible for the citation here, the Comissiona recording is the best of the Seventh, followed by the Doráti.
Commisiona recorded the 8th!

karlhenning

quintett op.57

my most bizarre CD :

Pettersson's 7th by Comissiona together with Mozart's Bassoon concerto.

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 18, 2010, 06:37:25 AM

Whoever wrote that obviously knows very little about classical music in the 20th Century.

The new erato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 18, 2010, 07:19:42 AM
And not the Seventh, you mean?
I wasn't aware of a 7th at least......

J

Quote from: erato on August 20, 2010, 08:48:01 AM
I wasn't aware of a 7th at least......

Yeah, - Commisiona recorded a 7th on the Caprice label with the Swedish National SO.
I rank it second to Dorati in quality, but it lacks somewhat what I'd call the "inevitability" I hear in Dorati, and being a live performance the playing can be pretty rough.

Scarpia

After rather sparse exposure I have the impression that I don't like Pettersson, but having listened to the 7th symphony today (the cpo recording) I may have to reverse myself.  It is a bit frustrating because I fear that among those 17 symphonies I will find some substantial music to love and a lot of music to be bored by, and it will take time to figure out what is what.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Scarpia on September 06, 2010, 07:10:25 AM
After rather sparse exposure I have the impression that I don't like Pettersson, but having listened to the 7th symphony today (the cpo recording) I may have to reverse myself.  It is a bit frustrating because I fear that among those 17 symphonies I will find some substantial music to love and a lot of music to be bored by, and it will take time to figure out what is what.

That's basically the reaction I had. I thought the 7th and 8th symphonies were pretty good, largely free of the rambling and screaming that characterizes some of his other symphonies (the 13th being the worst), and with some eloquent and moving sections. After a while I gave up on him though, deciding that other composers were more worthy of my attention.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Sef

Quote from: Velimir on September 06, 2010, 10:14:54 AM
That's basically the reaction I had. I thought the 7th and 8th symphonies were pretty good, largely free of the rambling and screaming that characterizes some of his other symphonies (the 13th being the worst), and with some eloquent and moving sections. After a while I gave up on him though, deciding that other composers were more worthy of my attention.
I'm glad I persevered with 6 though. Absolutely my favourite in a haunting way - couldn't be without it. Same with the VC. They just make my heart ache in a way no other piece has come close to.
"Do you think that I could have composed what I have composed, do you think that one can write a single note with life in it if one sits there and pities oneself?"

springrite

Quote from: Sef on September 08, 2010, 06:47:02 AM
I'm glad I persevered with 6 though. Absolutely my favourite in a haunting way - couldn't be without it. Same with the VC. They just make my heart ache in a way no other piece has come close to.

Thanks to our own Just Jeff, I received my copy of Pettersson 6 and the VC #2. Both are stunning works that I am glad I finally have! I have heard the VC many many years ago, before I could have appreciated it.

Next up: the Violin Sonatas and the Barefoot Songs! Hooray!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

snyprrr

Quote from: springrite on October 11, 2010, 09:37:37 AM

Next up: the Violin Sonatas and the Barefoot Songs! Hooray!

I was kinda disappointed with the Sonatas for 2 Violins. I didn't feel compelled to get them. You can hear samples on Amazon (unless of course you're already sold!).

The new erato

Quote from: snyprrr on October 11, 2010, 12:22:30 PM
I was kinda disappointed with the Sonatas for 2 Violins. I didn't feel compelled to get them. You can hear samples on Amazon (unless of course you're already sold!).
Could you please indicate whether you're serious or not? I've ended up not knowing when you are making a goofy joke or not.

snyprrr

Quote from: erato on October 11, 2010, 12:30:03 PM
Could you please indicate whether you're serious or not? I've ended up not knowing when you are making a goofy joke or not.

oh, erato,...I'm hurt. :'(

Are you tense? Can I rub your shoulders? ;D

No, I just didn't find the Sonatas lived up to the image I had been provided by reviews. I'd make them the very last thing on the Pettersson Wish List. For students only.

Now,... how could I dare kid in the hallowed halls of the Pettersson Thread?