Pettersson's Pavilion

Started by BachQ, April 08, 2007, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: snyprrr on October 11, 2010, 01:04:54 PM

Now,... how could I dare kid in the hallowed halls of the Pettersson Thread?
Well you do it all over the place and I'm at a loss of what to make of quite a number of your posts..... ::)

just Jeff

Quote from: springrite on October 11, 2010, 09:37:37 AM
Thanks to our own Just Jeff, I received my copy of Pettersson 6 and the VC #2. Both are stunning works that I am glad I finally have! I have heard the VC many many years ago, before I could have appreciated it.

Next up: the Violin Sonatas and the Barefoot Songs! Hooray!

Hey Paul, you have the Kamu 6th on CD(R) which not many others can claim ("RARE"), a pretty sweet thing to behold.

Analog LPs always work out well to CD-R when I have a clean condition album to work from.  One of those Aho CD-Rs, I think the SQ is a tiny bit shrill being a digital recording to begin with.  See transfering a digital LP to make a CD-R resamples the sound yet again.  The Pettersson 6th - Kamu on CBS is an all-analog recording, so that one is really the cat's litter!!!

Glad you like it.  It's always fun for me to make CD-Rs of LPs that missed getting a CD issue.  Now with time marching on, I think many of these slightly obscure works are not going to ever get CD issues.
20th Century Music - Ecrater Storefront:
http://20thcenturymusic.ecrater.com/

karlhenning

Better the cat's litter than the cat's litter pail.

snyprrr

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 12, 2010, 06:36:04 PM
Better the cat's litter than the cat's litter pail.

I thought it was the cat's meow?

Kitty litter,...wha??? :o ::) How did we get kitty litter in Pettersson's Pavilion? :-\oh dear ??? :-[

just Jeff

Quote from: snyprrr on October 12, 2010, 10:15:00 PM
I thought it was the cat's meow?

Kitty litter,...wha??? :o ::) How did we get kitty litter in Pettersson's Pavilion? :-\oh dear ??? :-[

The litter is the cat's kittens in general terms, and not the stuff that came to your mind when reading my post.  Could your head full of dirty kitty litter, and not sweet little kittens?

Sef

I thought the Dog's Bollocks might be more appropriate.
"Do you think that I could have composed what I have composed, do you think that one can write a single note with life in it if one sits there and pities oneself?"

DavidW

Well I am completely in love with the 6th it is such an amazing symphony!  Is there any other works I should listen to?

vandermolen

Quote from: DavidW on October 14, 2010, 03:04:18 PM
Well I am completely in love with the 6th it is such an amazing symphony!  Is there any other works I should listen to?

7 and 8 IMHO.  And, his masterpiece - the Violin Concerto No 2 - IMHO the greatest 20th century violin concerto.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

The new erato

Quote from: vandermolen on October 14, 2010, 10:58:15 PM
7 and 8 IMHO.  And, his masterpiece - the Violin Concerto No 2 - IMHO the greatest 20th century violin concerto.
IMO also 4 essential works. If you never listen to anything else by Pettersson, be sure to listen to these.

DavidW

Alright I have my list then. :)

snyprrr

Quote from: DavidW on October 15, 2010, 06:15:54 AM
Alright I have my list then. :)

Tell me the first 3mins on No.8 don't turn into your 'life theme'!!!!

karlhenning

Quote from: vandermolen on October 14, 2010, 10:58:15 PM
And, his masterpiece - the Violin Concerto No 2 - IMHO the greatest 20th century violin concerto.

Oh, dear, no, no, no. I know you said "IMHO," Jeffrey, but I had to offer my opinion that such an appraisal is way off the mark.

I suppose I'm going to have to revisit that concerto, but . . . not today.

Lethevich

Has anybody heard Dorati's Pettersson 10th? I didn't know it existed, but ran into an EMI LP coupled with Blomdahl's 2nd and a quick Amazon search indicates it doesn't seem to have had a CD transfer...
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

just Jeff

Quote from: Lethe on December 10, 2010, 04:21:06 AM
Has anybody heard Dorati's Pettersson 10th? I didn't know it existed, but ran into an EMI LP coupled with Blomdahl's 2nd and a quick Amazon search indicates it doesn't seem to have had a CD transfer...

No, not yet on CD AFAIK, I am in the process or doing all Pattersson works to CD-R (high-end transfers) that have not been issued officially.  It's a labor of love.

Lethevich

Thanks for that scan, that was exactly the one! Once your project gets off the ground please forgive me if I try to pester you to share those rips at some point ;) I could've bought the Dorati myself, but I lack a turntable or any equipment to make such a transfer.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 15, 2010, 08:06:30 AM
Oh, dear, no, no, no. I know you said "IMHO," Jeffrey, but I had to offer my opinion that such an appraisal is way off the mark.

I suppose I'm going to have to revisit that concerto, but . . . not today.

I love Pettersson's music, including works even some of most ardent fans dismiss (like the 16th) but I've not cracked the Violin Concerto. I've only listened to it twice (Blomstdet/Haendel) because it was pure aural torture. Still, like you, Karl, I should revisit it if only to confirm my dislike. This is one of the few times I've disagreed with Vandermolen.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 11, 2010, 03:50:01 AM
I love Pettersson's music, including works even some of most ardent fans dismiss (like the 16th) but I've not cracked the Violin Concerto. I've only listened to it twice (Blomstdet/Haendel) because it was pure aural torture. Still, like you, Karl, I should revisit it if only to confirm my dislike. This is one of the few times I've disagreed with Vandermolen.

Sarge

Of course I respect your views, not to mention those of the famous Karl, but this work has always gripped me from the first time I heard it on the old Caprice LP. Pettersson is an acquired taste; 'rampant self-pity' according to Robert Layton, but I don't agree and the more recent CPO recording of VC No 2 confirmed my view of its stature - but I don't think we will agree on this one - which for me is part of the charm of this forum.

Jeffrey
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

snyprrr

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 11, 2010, 03:50:01 AM

Sarge

VC tough on me too.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on December 11, 2010, 12:56:54 PM
Of course I respect your views, not to mention those of the famous Karl, but this work has always gripped me from the first time I heard it on the old Caprice LP. Pettersson is an acquired taste; 'rampant self-pity' according to Robert Layton, but I don't agree and the more recent CPO recording of VC No 2 confirmed my view of its stature - but I don't think we will agree on this one - which for me is part of the charm of this forum.

Jeffrey

I think it's one of his better works. Like Symphonies 6-8, it contrasts those light and dark aspects of his music to great effect. Of course, I don't think there's a better Pettersson score than the famous Symphony No. 7, but the VC came pretty close as did Symphonies Nos. 6 & 8, which I all rank as works of the highest order.

just Jeff

Quote from: Lethe on December 10, 2010, 08:11:29 PM
Thanks for that scan, that was exactly the one! Once your project gets off the ground please forgive me if I try to pester you to share those rips at some point ;) I could've bought the Dorati myself, but I lack a turntable or any equipment to make such a transfer.

You should send me a private pester message sure.  But I really hate to be the one to break it to you and this thread, but the Dorati 10th is called, in the Third Ear Classical guide which I do trust to some degree: "ragged, out of tune, and unpolished" and suggests  "don't bother" with this version, and says that the Segerstam (BIS) "delivers in one of the most searing orchestral explosions on record."

So we'll take that for what it's worth....