Pettersson's Pavilion

Started by BachQ, April 08, 2007, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just Jeff

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 11, 2010, 07:22:11 PM
I think it's one of his better works. Like Symphonies 6-8, it contrasts those light and dark aspects of his music to great effect. Of course, I don't think there's a better Pettersson score than the famous Symphony No. 7, but the VC came pretty close as did Symphonies Nos. 6 & 8, which I all rank as works of the highest order.

Also mentioned, or worth mentioning, is the Mesto Concerto for Orchestra #3, considered in all but name another "Symphony", shown here conducted by Stig Westerberg, on Swedish Society.  Anyone heard this work?

Swede issue:

20th Century Music - Ecrater Storefront:
http://20thcenturymusic.ecrater.com/

J.Z. Herrenberg

'Mesto' is a superb and haunting piece. I love it.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

The new erato

The complete (3) concertoes are available on cpo and well worth hearing. The Mesto have had several separate recordings, among others a brand new one on BIS IIRC.

Lethevich

I also endorse the string symphonies in general. They are superior to at least a few of his orchestral symphonies, and as a cycle there aren't all that many works by other composers to rival Pettersson's success in this form.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

AP100

Hi everyone,

Apologies if you know about this already. I am trying to find where all the Pettersson fans hide on this forum.

I am currently listening to all of Allan Pettersson's orchestral works (plus a few other selected pieces) and writing a blog about it, in honor of his upcoming 100th birthday.

Pettersson fans, lovers of the 20th-century symphony, and anyone curious, please stop by, and leave comments or feedback!

http://allanpettersson100.blogspot.com/

See you there!

Mirror Image

I'm not sure if anybody has seen this very short video, but it has some interesting excerpts with Pettersson talking about his music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqX-ZhH89dw

eyeresist

Quote from: AP100 on January 04, 2011, 11:54:46 AM
I am currently listening to all of Allan Pettersson's orchestral works (plus a few other selected pieces) and writing a blog about it, in honor of his upcoming 100th birthday.

Pettersson fans, lovers of the 20th-century symphony, and anyone curious, please stop by, and leave comments or feedback!

http://allanpettersson100.blogspot.com/

See you there!

I was going to post a link to this blog, but see it is already here. The blogger is going through the works and recordings by date of composition, and has reached Symphony No. 4. His writing is good and clear, and the record reviews are very helpful to a novice like myself.
Definitely worth checking out.

BTW, I could not find this thread through the forum search option. What is going on there? Seems like it keeps getting worse...

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: eyeresist on April 14, 2011, 09:59:51 PMI was going to post a link to this blog, but see it is already here. The blogger is going through the works and recordings by date of composition, and has reached Symphony No. 4. His writing is good and clear, and the record reviews are very helpful to a novice like myself.
Definitely worth checking out.

BTW, I could not find this thread through the forum search option. What is going on there? Seems like it keeps getting worse...

You have to be on the right level of the forum hierarchy. If you're on top level and enter "Pettersson" into the search box on the top right, you'll easily find the thread on 2nd position.

I entered a comment to the blog on Symphony No. 6, he expressed exactly what I'm thinking. The greatest AP symphony. Long, hard, tragic but rewarding journey. I agree with the thesis "true meaning of beauty [and pure joy imo] - only after suffering".  No, this is not my sexual preference ;)

snyprrr

Can't seem to listen to Pettersson any more. ??? Maybe it's those one track cds,... I just don't have the will to sit through it. And, I pulled out VC 2, which I don't know wwwhy everyone thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread. Maybe because I didn't make it to the end. I'll try again (when it's raining).

Perhaps 10 or 11.

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on April 20, 2011, 06:34:58 PM
Can't seem to listen to Pettersson any more. ??? Maybe it's those one track cds,... I just don't have the will to sit through it. And, I pulled out VC 2, which I don't know wwwhy everyone thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread. Maybe because I didn't make it to the end. I'll try again (when it's raining).

Perhaps 10 or 11.

Pettersson's symphonies can be challenging, but I think that Symphonies Nos. 6-8 are masterpieces. The 7th, obviously, is the most accessible of the them all, but it has a powerful message I think which is that there is goodness in this world, but you have to search for it. You have to go through the dark clouds to find sunlight.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 03, 2011, 08:20:15 PM
I'm not sure if anybody has seen this very short video, but it has some interesting excerpts with Pettersson talking about his music:

Just came round to watching and listening to this. Interesting - first time I hear his voice. I can follow the Swedish reasonably well. He speaks very quickly in a very light voice. Thanks!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on April 21, 2011, 12:50:44 AM

Just came round to watching and listening to this. Interesting - first time I hear his voice. I can follow the Swedish reasonably well. He speaks very quickly in a very light voice. Thanks!

You're welcome. I figured it might be of at least some interest to somebody.:)

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 03, 2011, 08:20:15 PM

Haha, he does sound like a typical Swede, haha! Ya vist!

eyeresist

http://allanpettersson100.blogspot.com/2011_05_01_archive.html

The Pettersson blog has reached Symphony No. 7, and by coincidence I heard this symphony for the first time today!

Overall I like it. It's melodically interesting, and in mood and sprawling form obviously related to Shostakovich, and perhaps also Mahler, both symphonists I like. EDIT: Oh, and Sibelius, of course. I definitely think I'll be listening to this again, but I'm not sure the performance (Segerstam) has the expressive intensity the music needs. I even found myself thinking maybe late Bernstein should have recorded this (generally NOT a fan).

This opinion may change when I've listened to the piece a few more times. At the moment I think I may prefer the "difficult" 11th! There's a very enjoyable part in the ninth minute, with blaring brass plus skeltering xylophone.

snyprrr

Quote from: eyeresist on May 26, 2011, 12:16:57 AM
http://allanpettersson100.blogspot.com/2011_05_01_archive.html

The Pettersson blog has reached Symphony No. 7, and by coincidence I heard this symphony for the first time today!

Overall I like it. It's melodically interesting, and in mood and sprawling form obviously related to Shostakovich, and perhaps also Mahler, both symphonists I like. EDIT: Oh, and Sibelius, of course. I definitely think I'll be listening to this again, but I'm not sure the performance (Segerstam) has the expressive intensity the music needs. I even found myself thinking maybe late Bernstein should have recorded this (generally NOT a fan).

This opinion may change when I've listened to the piece a few more times. At the moment I think I may prefer the "difficult" 11th! There's a very enjoyable part in the ninth minute, with blaring brass plus skeltering xylophone.

I'm still having my Pettersson Problem, but, you've reminded me that I can still listen to the 'short' Symphonies, 10 & 11.  11 may be my fav too,... mmm,... I'll need to get over my one-track/one-hour phobia first!! ;)

karlhenning

Quote from: snyprrr on May 26, 2011, 06:28:41 AM
I'm still having my Pettersson Problem

Oh, it never, but never, goes away!

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: snyprrr on May 26, 2011, 06:28:41 AMI'm still having my Pettersson Problem, but, you've reminded me that I can still listen to the 'short' Symphonies, 10 & 11.  11 may be my fav too,... mmm,... I'll need to get over my one-track/one-hour phobia first!! ;)
I think you cannot solve Pettersson problems with Symphonies Nos. 10 & 11. I think they are a major part of the problem. No human being will ever be able to like and understand them ;) (I guess)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Tapio Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on May 26, 2011, 07:44:27 AM
I think you cannot solve Pettersson problems with Symphonies Nos. 10 & 11. I think they are a major part of the problem. No human being will ever be able to like and understand them ;) (I guess)

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I think Pettersson's Symphonies 6-8 and his Violin Concerto No. 2 are his masterpieces. He never achieved the contrast between darkness and bitter loneliness/isolation and the heavenly beautiful like he did in these works.

Mirror Image

Let us all not forget that September 2011 marks the centenary of Pettersson's birth.

eyeresist

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2011, 12:17:35 PM
Let us all not forget that September 2011 marks the centenary of Pettersson's birth.

What, the whole of September? That's some labour.

Having some real trouble posting here, BTW. Click on "post", and get taken to a "new topic" form.