Pettersson's Pavilion

Started by BachQ, April 08, 2007, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on May 26, 2011, 05:49:31 PM
What, the whole of September? That's some labour.

Having some real trouble posting here, BTW. Click on "post", and get taken to a "new topic" form.

Well September 19th will mark the centenary.

Mirror Image

I bought this recording a few days ago...

[asin]B000027DHY[/asin]

This was quite an expensive recording (bought it for around $20 brand new), but I think it's worth it just hear how Comissiona handles this work. He was a champion of Pettersson's music. I can only imagine how intense this performance will be.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 19, 2011, 01:33:53 PM
I bought this recording a few days ago...

[asin]B000027DHY[/asin]

This was quite an expensive recording (bought it for around $20 brand new), but I think it's worth it just hear how Comissiona handles this work. He was a champion of Pettersson's music. I can only imagine how intense this performance will be.

Me too - it's a great performance - best since Dorati - why have DGG not issued Comissiona's great recording of Symphony No 8?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on July 21, 2011, 12:51:54 PM
Me too - it's a great performance - best since Dorati - why have DGG not issued Comissiona's great recording of Symphony No 8?

I'm not sure why DG won't release that recording either. :-\

The new erato

BIS is about to release a disc of the reconstrucyed first symphony coupled with no 2, along with a DVD of an hour about the reconstruction work. Just sayin1'

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on August 30, 2011, 01:31:47 PM
BIS is about to release a disc of the reconstrucyed first symphony coupled with no 2, along with a DVD of an hour about the reconstruction work. Just sayin1'

Yes, I look forward to picking this up, erato. Should be good!

snyprrr

My initial reaction was negative.

I suppose I just realize how I think. I was like, instead of joy over reconstructed music( ::)) and aaanother version of No.2, I was, Where's that f*%XQ@*&G 9th already?? >:D yeesh,...

I'm sure you know that I'm like this all the time, but, I argue that I'm not a negative person just because that... well, I ask you,...

If I 'assume' that everything's supposed to be perfect, and 'assume' that everyone knows it, isn't reality more like a scolding than a celebration? He whom the Lord loveth, He chastiseth? Is not bringing up the fact that BIS has not recorded Symphonies 6, 9, or 13 a noble and righteous thing to do, instead of congratulating them on this release? (well, ok, maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but, I'm just sayin' that I'd like them to pretty please hurry the svensk up with this Pettersson Cycle before the older members of this forum pass on! :o

I'll admit that I wasn't expecting this particular release, or the previous release of String Concertos, but since they haven't registered on the emotional Must Buy Now meter, I maintain that any and all members here are with me in stating that we would ALL rather have had eith 6, 9, or 13, than these two last releases (three if you count the Sonatas for 2 Violins)? What? Is the Violin Concerto next?? >:D

Sorry, but it peeves me when labels emback on these Expectoramas of potential cycles, only to get bogged down, like this one, or stopped, like the Xenakis on Timpani (though, to be fair, I shouldn't complain there,... just be grateful),... I'm sure there's a Thread around here for that (no?,... can I start one? ;D

Can I get a witness here?

I see it more that I'm being positive by bringing up the fact that 6, 9, or 13 are like Supreme Masterpieces that should be graced with definitive recordings,... no? ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on August 30, 2011, 06:29:24 PM
My initial reaction was negative.

I suppose I just realize how I think. I was like, instead of joy over reconstructed music( ::)) and aaanother version of No.2, I was, Where's that f*%XQ@*&G 9th already?? >:D yeesh,...

I'm sure you know that I'm like this all the time, but, I argue that I'm not a negative person just because that... well, I ask you,...

If I 'assume' that everything's supposed to be perfect, and 'assume' that everyone knows it, isn't reality more like a scolding than a celebration? He whom the Lord loveth, He chastiseth? Is not bringing up the fact that BIS has not recorded Symphonies 6, 9, or 13 a noble and righteous thing to do, instead of congratulating them on this release? (well, ok, maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but, I'm just sayin' that I'd like them to pretty please hurry the svensk up with this Pettersson Cycle before the older members of this forum pass on! :o

I'll admit that I wasn't expecting this particular release, or the previous release of String Concertos, but since they haven't registered on the emotional Must Buy Now meter, I maintain that any and all members here are with me in stating that we would ALL rather have had eith 6, 9, or 13, than these two last releases (three if you count the Sonatas for 2 Violins)? What? Is the Violin Concerto next?? >:D

Sorry, but it peeves me when labels emback on these Expectoramas of potential cycles, only to get bogged down, like this one, or stopped, like the Xenakis on Timpani (though, to be fair, I shouldn't complain there,... just be grateful),... I'm sure there's a Thread around here for that (no?,... can I start one? ;D

Can I get a witness here?

I see it more that I'm being positive by bringing up the fact that 6, 9, or 13 are like Supreme Masterpieces that should be graced with definitive recordings,... no? ;D

For me, I would love for the 6th and 8th to be performed by a more capable conductor and by at an orchestra of virtuosos. The 7th has had many great performances. My personal favorite being Segerstam's on BIS. I consider, as I have pointed out many times, Symphonies Nos. 6-8 to be Pettersson's masterpieces along with the Violin Concerto No. 2, which already has an excellent performance on CPO with Dausgaard conducting the Swedish Radio Symphony with Isabelle van Keulen on violin.

In honesty, we should be thankful anything regarding Pettersson's music is coming out. He isn't necessarily a fan favorite. :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 30, 2011, 06:39:55 PMIn honesty, we should be thankful anything regarding Pettersson's music is coming out. He isn't necessarily a fan favorite. :)

I don't know if Pettersson has much of a future even in Sweden. I was made a member of a Facebook group of the Pettersson Society by a Swedish friend. The appended photo doesn't bode too well...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

There's a cosmic rightness to that photo, somehow, though . . . .

The new erato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 31, 2011, 03:51:08 AM
There's a cosmic rightness to that photo, somehow, though . . . .
As in the refrain to Eleanor Rigby.

DavidW

Quote from: The new erato on August 31, 2011, 03:53:50 AM
As in the refrain to Eleanor Rigby.

I think that's post of the week. ;D

karlhenning

J.Z. Herrenberg

I am glad I posted that photo.  ;D
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

Dundonnell

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on August 31, 2011, 04:51:02 AM
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/BIS/BISCD1860

More detail on the forthconming release.

What a fascinating looking release - thanks for the link Colin.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on August 31, 2011, 04:55:32 AM
What a fascinating looking release - thanks for the link Colin.

It was linked to on Facebook, too, by the Pettersson group. Yes, looks fascinating!

snyprrr

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 31, 2011, 03:08:22 AM

I don't know if Pettersson has much of a future even in Sweden. I was made a member of a Facebook group of the Pettersson Society by a Swedish friend. The appended photo doesn't bode too well...

Wow, that is one sad looking group of people! :'(

'Hot Babes for Pettersson'!!! :o