Pettersson's Pavilion

Started by BachQ, April 08, 2007, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

I agree with Kyle and John here.

Nos 6-8 are my favourites with VC No 2 as one of the greatest works ever written in the history of the universe. Dorati's No 7 is my favourite but maybe because that was my LP discovery of Pettersson (it had a striking cover image I recall, better than the CD). Also I got to know No 2 on LP which I liked, but not as much. I do need to find my way into the other Pettersson symphonies (No 9 in particular). I also like the 'long struggle towards the sunlight' of Symphony No 6 (from sleeve note to my Kamu LP - why has this never been released on CD - shame on CBS/Sony), the unbearably moving ending of VC No 2 (also discovered on LP) and the moments of tranquillity (not generally a Pettersson characteristic) of Symphony No 7.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

springrite

Quote from: vandermolen on August 19, 2013, 12:29:27 AM
I do need to find my way into the other Pettersson symphonies (No 9 in particular).

Absolutely! I have listened to 9 about 3 times before. But last week on the train, it suddenly hit me as a great symphony.

Too many newly discovered Air Disaster Symphonies? (remember Brian 10?)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

vandermolen

Quote from: springrite on August 19, 2013, 01:26:24 AM
Absolutely! I have listened to 9 about 3 times before. But last week on the train, it suddenly hit me as a great symphony.

Too many newly discovered Air Disaster Symphonies? (remember Brian 10?)

Ah yes, but  I also remember the sense of 'grim, hard won, yet enduring triumph'  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: pencils on August 18, 2013, 12:48:42 PM
I guess you can live with the predictability of 6-8, but I very much enjoy 9, 4, 11 and 15-16. I have be honest in admitting that it is the bleakness of Pettersson that attracts me. I appreciate that he faces futility with such tenacity.

Highlight of today was 9 on full volume.

Let me preface first by saying that any work you've heard several times becomes predictable. I mean I even find Schnittke's music predictable now as I've become accustomed to his musical language and the way he handles the music. My reaction about these more well-known symphonies of Pettersson is actually the opposite of predictable. Overall, I believe Pettersson's music is the most predictable of all composers I've heard IMHO, especially the later symphonies with their never-ending onslaughts of doom-laden orchestral crashes. What I found unpredictable, or maybe a better phrasing here is 'completely unexpected,' are those long lyrical laments in Symphonies 6-8. These symphonies started off in the abyssal zone but the music came up to breathe on many occasions and this wasn't expected given the what had come before. So I guess I like the unpredictability of Symphonies 6-8 more than the predictability of the later symphonies.

pencils

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 20, 2013, 11:09:58 AM
Let me preface first by saying that any work you've heard several times becomes predictable. I mean I even find Schnittke's music predictable now as I've become accustomed to his musical language and the way he handles the music. My reaction about these more well-known symphonies of Pettersson is actually the opposite of predictable. Overall, I believe Pettersson's music is the most predictable of all composers I've heard IMHO, especially the later symphonies with their never-ending onslaughts of doom-laden orchestral crashes. What I found unpredictable, or maybe a better phrasing here is 'completely unexpected,' are those long lyrical laments in Symphonies 6-8. These symphonies started off in the abyssal zone but the music came up to breathe on many occasions and this wasn't expected given the what had come before. So I guess I like the unpredictability of Symphonies 6-8 more than the predictability of the later symphonies.

Haha.  What I meant was that predictably I also love 6-8  :D ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: pencils on August 20, 2013, 11:13:44 AM
Haha.  What I meant was that predictably I also love 6-8  :D ;D

This is good to hear. I think he was at the top of his game in these symphonies and the Violin Concerto No. 2. I honestly thought he should have stopped after Symphony No. 8.

pencils

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 20, 2013, 11:16:44 AMI honestly thought he should have stopped after Symphony No. 8.

Noooo. No. 9!!!! I think the later works have an existential realism that can be really rewarding. For those bleak moments of despairing futility, there is nothing quite like them.

Even weird 16 grows on you. Like fungus.

Mirror Image

Quote from: pencils on August 20, 2013, 11:25:11 AM
Noooo. No. 9!!!! I think the later works have an existential realism that can be really rewarding. For those bleak moments of despairing futility, there is nothing quite like them.

Even weird 16 grows on you. Like fungus.

I just can't get into Symphony No. 9. :( There's no redeeming qualities about the music that make want to continue to listen. I was so frustrated last time I listened to it (several months ago) that I stopped it in utter disgust. To remedy it, I put on Symphony No. 11 (w/ Segerstam). I felt like that was a much better work overall.

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 20, 2013, 11:43:54 AM
I just can't get into Symphony No. 9. :( There's no redeeming qualities about the music that make want to continue to listen. I was so frustrated last time I listened to it (several months ago) that I stopped it in utter disgust. To remedy it, I put on Symphony No. 11 (w/ Segerstam). I felt like that was a much better work overall.

Keep listening.

The reason you couldn't get into it is because you have not suffered enough.

The best way to appreciate Pettersson is to listen again and again when you don't like it and suffer! Suffer! then... *bing!*

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on August 20, 2013, 11:48:14 AM
Keep listening.

The reason you couldn't get into it is because you have not suffered enough.

The best way to appreciate Pettersson is to listen again and again when you don't like it and suffer! Suffer! then... *bing!*

Lol...that's an interesting strategy, Paul. :D Did it actually work for you?

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 20, 2013, 11:49:12 AM
Lol...that's an interesting strategy, Paul. :D Did it actually work for you?

I did most of my suffering work before I got to Pettersson. Frankly, I thought he's such a sissy and he had it easy, man!

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on August 20, 2013, 11:51:39 AM
I did most of my suffering work before I got to Pettersson. Frankly, I thought he's such a sissy and he had it easy, man!

:D

Mirror Image

Apparently, Christian Lindberg is going to be recording all of Pettersson's symphonies which is very good news.

http://www.youtube.com/v/OOM1hA9FDSw

Will love to hear what Lindberg and the Norrkoping SO will do in the 7th and 8th.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 08, 2013, 09:15:49 PM
Apparently, Christian Lindberg is going to be recording all of Pettersson's symphonies which is very good news.

Thanks for posting this....good news indeed. (And I now realize I've been mispronouncing Pettersson my entire life  ;D )  One thing I'd debate, though, is Lindberg's belief that Pettersson will eventually occupy "the same position" with audiences as Mahler does today. As much as I like his music, I cannot see that kind of popularity happening.

AEFW
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 09, 2013, 05:02:58 AM
Thanks for posting this....good news indeed. (And I now realize I've been mispronouncing Pettersson my entire life  ;D )  One thing I'd debate, though, is Lindberg's belief that Pettersson will eventually occupy "the same position" with audiences as Mahler does today. As much as I like his music, I cannot see that kind of popularity happening.

AEFW

Yes, I doubt Pettersson will ever enjoy the success Mahler has had amongst listeners and in the concert halls.

The new erato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 09, 2013, 05:02:58 AM

AEFW
+ 1 to everything you said here (except for the Pettersson pronounciation).

Sergeant Rock

Mirror Image

That Pettersson pronunciation also surprised me, Sarge. So it sounds like this: Pater shon. Does look correct?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 09, 2013, 09:08:19 AM
That Pettersson pronunciation also surprised me, Sarge. So it sounds like this: Pater shon. Does look correct?

Yeah, something like that...or something between pet and pat.

Sarge

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 09, 2013, 09:12:35 AM
Yeah, something like that...or something between pet and pat.

Sarge

I think I'll just go back to my original pronunciation: Peter son. :P