Pettersson's Pavilion

Started by BachQ, April 08, 2007, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skogwald and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on March 03, 2014, 01:12:19 PM
Bzzzt. If we can count Martin I dibsed him in the late 70 s. But he's gone semi mainstream these days, lots available now. Never heard a note by Koechlin. Like his Mozart numbering though.  :o

Yes, there's a good bit available by Martin but he's not anywhere near a mainstay within the concert repertoire. I'd like to know the last time any of his music was programmed by a major orchestra? Anyone know? The same applies to each of the composers I mentioned above. Thankfully, there are many enterprising labels out there that continue to release more unknown repertoire, but this doesn't necessarily translate to the mainstream just because there are recordings available.

The new erato

I saw the "Le vin Herbe" with choir and musicians from the Bergen Philharmonic (not exactly major but...) in Bergen a month ago. Wonderful.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I've seen little discussion of the Barefoot Songs here. Any thoughts on them? I'm considering getting the Monica Groop recording on CPO.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Velimir on March 03, 2014, 06:52:55 PM
I've seen little discussion of the Barefoot Songs here.

Hm, for some reason these simple, touching songs don't get anything like the response to AP's ranting, raving, foaming-at-the-mouth symphonies. I wonder why?  ;D

snyprrr

Quote from: Velimir on March 03, 2014, 06:52:55 PM
I've seen little discussion of the Barefoot Songs here. Any thoughts on them? I'm considering getting the Monica Groop recording on CPO.

I have the choral version on Caprice, with Symphony 14. I mean, they're just fairly plain choral settings; I'd have to revisit them, but I do not recall hearing THAT AGP sound coming from these pieces- they're just... mm... eh... ok?? I mean, if any 'normal' Composer had made these (Robert Beaser???) I wonder if anyone would even notice them.

I mean, please prove me wrong and point me to the one that melts the sun, but, I say no super great shakes here... really. Have not heard 'Vox Humana' or Symphony 12 yet.

The new erato

I have the cpo disc. It is well performed, and they are very pretty songs and worth the time(I am a Lieder lover). Little angst here, but the main attractians are the odd phrases and bits that occasionally surfaces in the symphonies and in the violin concerto nr 2. Flickan går i Engen (The maiden walks in the Meadow) plays a central part in that concerto.

snyprrr

I'd really like to have heard the Fresk 'Concerto No.1 for Violin and String Quartet'- or a new recording. That CPO leaves just a touch more of wanting for me- there MUST be an appropriate disc-mate for this supremely odd bicycle music.

snyprrr

EXCUUUSE ME!!

Did NO ONE notice Lindberg's 9th being released. HELL-OOO!! It's on the header bar there. I mean, someone here should be crappin' themselves as they read this, no?

ALERT ALERT ALERT ALERT ALERT

Has no one heard this yet? yea, I know some of you don't include the 9th in your... er... canon... uh... but it's still a Masterpiece and you will like it eventually, so just shuss with the complaining and get this 9th already and report back quickly!!

The new erato

Yes we have. And it's been mentioned on some occasions.

snyprrr

Quote from: The new erato on April 07, 2014, 09:25:55 AM
Yes we have. And it's been mentioned on some occasions.

oh... uh...  :-[ :-X :-\ ;) :) :D ;D... achoo!!... sorry, it must be the cough syrup! :-*

What did I miss? :-[ :P

Daverz

Quote from: snyprrr on April 07, 2014, 07:27:10 AM
Did NO ONE notice Lindberg's 9th being released. HELL-OOO!! It's on the header bar there. I mean, someone here should be crappin' themselves as they read this, no?

I certainly noticed.  I check eClassical every day.  But I'm still recovering from the 6th.

Ken B

Quote from: Daverz on April 07, 2014, 07:46:58 PM
I certainly noticed.  I check eClassical every day.  But I'm still recovering from the 6th.
No Pettersson on BRO. Depressing.

Brian

Very personal memory of AP from BIS CEO Robert von Bahr:

"Allan Pettersson's Vox Humana - a precursor to his 12th Symphony and a very important political statement with Pettersson. After the release he took as a habit to call me every night about 2 a.m., screaming his agony over the rheumatism that so destroyed his life. Several times I asked to be permitted to visit with him, but he always refused - he didn't want anyone to see him in that condition. Awful destiny - awesome music."

http://www.eclassical.com/pages/daily-deal.html?cache=purge

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Brian on October 16, 2014, 04:50:08 AM
[von Bahr:] After the release he took as a habit to call me every night about 2 a.m., screaming his agony over the rheumatism that so destroyed his life. Several times I asked to be permitted to visit with him, but he always refused - he didn't want anyone to see him in that condition.

Here's what I don't get. Due to his illness, he couldn't write. I think the 6th Symphony was the last one he completed with his own hands. How did he get all those huge symphonies down on paper?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on October 16, 2014, 04:50:08 AM
Very personal memory of AP from BIS CEO Robert von Bahr:

"Allan Pettersson's Vox Humana - a precursor to his 12th Symphony and a very important political statement with Pettersson. After the release he took as a habit to call me every night about 2 a.m., screaming his agony over the rheumatism that so destroyed his life. Several times I asked to be permitted to visit with him, but he always refused - he didn't want anyone to see him in that condition. Awful destiny - awesome music."

http://www.eclassical.com/pages/daily-deal.html?cache=purge

What an annoying man. If he called me at 2 AM every night, I'd have my number changed. :)

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 16, 2014, 07:42:01 AM
What an annoying man. If he called me at 2 AM every night, I'd have my number changed. :)

So that's why you keep changing your number -- to avoid the people who annoys you but in turn annoys the people who actually care for you.  ;)

BTW, I love he Barefoot Songs. Heck, I love everything I have heard from Petterssson, but lately, especially the VC2 and the chamber music, after listening to the symphonies for all these years.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

North Star

Quote from: springrite on October 16, 2014, 08:31:48 AM
So that's why you keep changing your number -- to avoid the people who annoys you but in turn annoys the people who actually care for you.  ;)

BTW, I love he Barefoot Songs. Heck, I love everything I have heard from Petterssson, but lately, especially the VC2 and the chamber music, after listening to the symphonies for all these years.
I think you're confusing some words here, Paul. 'Phone number' and 'avatar' are two entirely different things.  8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

The new erato

Quote from: springrite on October 16, 2014, 08:31:48 AM

Yes; the songs are fine and the VC 2 monumental.

vandermolen

Quote from: The new erato on October 16, 2014, 11:11:21 AM
Yes; the songs are fine and the VC 2 monumental.

The latter is his masterpiece.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: vandermolen on October 16, 2014, 12:11:56 PM
The latter is his masterpiece.

I see there are at least 2 recordings. Which do you recommend and why?