Pettersson's Pavilion

Started by BachQ, April 08, 2007, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skogwald and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

The Emperor

I have to agree with Gido, the 2nd VC is pure brilliance. At first it sounded really abstract and random, even for a Pettersson piece, but finally it grew on me, such great melodies. It's hard to get into but really pays off, those melodies will be in your head for a long time!

Btw huge Pettersson fan here, and i haven't even heard half of his work.

S709

Quote from: Captain Haddock on April 08, 2007, 02:28:46 PM
the last ten minutes or so are amongst the most moving things I know in music.

Agreed completely... it is very powerful, especially since it is an almost "optimistic" conclusion, perhaps the only one in all his work...

Daverz

I've been listening to Symphony 8 a lot recently.

(That ebay scan got cuts off the bottom of the Lp.)

A dark (though not self-pitying or neurotic), enigmatic, hypnotic work.  It unfolds its secrets slowly.

Thom

Is there a recording of Pettersson's first Symphony? I have listened to all 16 of them (although i do not know them all very wel except for 6-9) but I never see the first mentioned anywhere.

X

Lilas Pastia

Another vote for the violin concerto. I hear there's a new disc out on CPO? Mine is the old Ida Handel on Caprice (with the Barefoot Songs - a beauty!).

I think the first symphony's score was destroyed by the composer.

Harry

Quote from: XXXPawn on April 14, 2007, 12:31:59 PM
Is there a recording of Pettersson's first Symphony? I have listened to all 16 of them (although i do not know them all very wel except for 6-9) but I never see the first mentioned anywhere.

X

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Pettersson

Read everything here my friend.

Harry

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on April 14, 2007, 12:45:49 PM
Another vote for the violin concerto. I hear there's a new disc out on CPO? Mine is the old Ida Handel on Caprice (with the Barefoot Songs - a beauty!).

I think the first symphony's score was destroyed by the composer.

There are two Violin concertos, which one are you referring to?
Both concertos on CPO are excellent.

Lilas Pastia

I was wrong. The first is unfinished, but this link http://www.iapg.de/iapg.htm? even has an mp3 excerpt of the beginning. Quite strange I must say.

vandermolen

Quote from: Xantus' Murrelet on April 09, 2007, 04:54:18 AM
Agreed completely... it is very powerful, especially since it is an almost "optimistic" conclusion, perhaps the only one in all his work...

Symphony No 6 has a, kind of, rugged "struggle towards the sunrise" conclusion which I love. I wish Sony would reissue Kamu's LP version on CD and DGG release the Commisionna, Baltimore SO version of No 8.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Grazioso

His 7th symphony is one of the best things I've heard in years, one of my classical discoveries for which I'm most thankful. Just a phenomenal work with staggering emotional power. I hope to buy the CPO box set of his symphonies soon.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Daverz

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on April 14, 2007, 12:45:49 PM
Another vote for the violin concerto. I hear there's a new disc out on CPO? Mine is the old Ida Handel on Caprice

I have this CD.  I remember being traumatized by the concerto and trying to bring it back to the used record store where I bought it.  Luckily, they wouldn't take it back. 8)

Robert

Quote from: Guido on April 08, 2007, 05:51:59 PM
That's just my first impression - from the amount of proponants the piece has here I know I need to listen a few more times. It reminded me of Gorecki's 3rd Symphony in scale and how it used material (and relative slow moving structure).

Gorecki's third is more a continuous Largo,  I don't see that in Pettersson...l.....

Robert

Quote from: The Emperor on April 09, 2007, 04:45:03 AM
I have to agree with Gido, the 2nd VC is pure brilliance. At first it sounded really abstract and random, even for a Pettersson piece, but finally it grew on me, such great melodies. It's hard to get into but really pays off, those melodies will be in your head for a long time!

Btw huge Pettersson fan here, and i haven't even heard half of his work.

I didn't get that from Guidos post...Perhaps you should read it again...He didnt say it was pure brilliance.

Harry

Quote from: Grazioso on April 15, 2007, 04:20:13 AM
His 7th symphony is one of the best things I've heard in years, one of my classical discoveries for which I'm most thankful. Just a phenomenal work with staggering emotional power. I hope to buy the CPO box set of his symphonies soon.

Agreed, it is a most profound statement of great art!

S709

Quote from: Captain Haddock on April 14, 2007, 11:06:09 PM
Symphony No 6 has a, kind of, rugged "struggle towards the sunrise" conclusion which I love. I wish Sony would reissue Kamu's LP version on CD and DGG release the Commisionna, Baltimore SO version of No 8.

It's quite nice that it can be interpreted in many ways. I (and many others I know who love this work) see the conclusion as a drawn out painful lament sort of thing only.
As for the Kamu 6th, I have it in an LP-to-mp3 transfer of some kind, somewhat low quality. I prefer the CPO version really...

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: Xantus' Murrelet on April 15, 2007, 06:44:13 PMIt's quite nice that it can be interpreted in many ways. I (and many others I know who love this work) see the conclusion as a drawn out painful lament sort of thing only.
He, I'm back...

ADD ME!!!!!11!
- The greatest Symphony that I know of.
- The saddest conclusion ever.

I hope I'll ever see #6 performed live once in my life. I'm 35, there is a chance :) Keep in mind: "Life without Pettersson #6 is possible, but makes no sense".

Lilas Pastia

I understand your enthusiasm. It's almost puzzling that an outwardly rebarbative composer would elicit such devoted following. I, too, believe that # 6 is his most haunting, tragic, deepest work. At other times I feel the same about # 9, though.

BachQ

We await Karl's formulation of an opinion with regards to Pettersson 2:

Quote from: karlhenning on September 20, 2007, 04:23:35 AM
Pettersson
Symphony No. 2
BBC Scottish Symphony
Alun Francis

karlhenning

I'm going to listen more, and so am in no haste to form opinion.

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on September 20, 2007, 08:01:47 AM
I'm going to listen more, and so am in no haste to form opinion.

Please share if, at some point, you do happen to formulate an opinion on this or any Pettersson symphony .........  :)