Pettersson's Pavilion

Started by BachQ, April 08, 2007, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: Velimir on October 16, 2014, 12:24:57 PM
I see there are at least 2 recordings. Which do you recommend and why?
Handel, but that is OOP. But the cpo version is very fine, you can live well with that. I have both.

Brian

Quote from: The new erato on October 16, 2014, 12:54:56 PM
Handel, but that is OOP. But the cpo version is very fine, you can live well with that. I have both.
The Ida H. recording is on YouTube.

snyprrr

Quote from: The new erato on October 16, 2014, 01:57:30 PM
No option for a true collector, only for you wannabees,

sock it to 'em!! ;) WE WANT STUFF!!

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Figuring out the 9th

I'd like to get some views on the 9th Symphony. Earlier I rejected it based on some reviews I had read, which led me to the perception that this was where AP finally tipped over into unbalanced ranting. Both the reviews and the length of the piece made me believe I would be wise to steer clear of it.

Lately I'm re-considering. I heard some excerpts, and a couple of things stood out: 1) it seems to be mostly fast energetic music, and 2) it sounds rather impersonal, like some great force of nature, rather than the usual suffering AP persona. Listening to the snippets reminded me a bit of Krenek and other post-Mahler composers.

Having tried the 14th and enjoyed it, I wonder if I might also like the 9th. Also, I see Lindberg's CD of the piece is now out, and getting good reviews in its own right.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

vandermolen

Quote from: Velimir on October 24, 2014, 12:33:10 PM
Figuring out the 9th

I'd like to get some views on the 9th Symphony. Earlier I rejected it based on some reviews I had read, which led me to the perception that this was where AP finally tipped over into unbalanced ranting. Both the reviews and the length of the piece made me believe I would be wise to steer clear of it.

Lately I'm re-considering. I heard some excerpts, and a couple of things stood out: 1) it seems to be mostly fast energetic music, and 2) it sounds rather impersonal, like some great force of nature, rather than the usual suffering AP persona. Listening to the snippets reminded me a bit of Krenek and other post-Mahler composers.

Having tried the 14th and enjoyed it, I wonder if I might also like the 9th. Also, I see Lindberg's CD of the piece is now out, and getting good reviews in its own right.

Having had a CD of it for years but only listened once before I gave it another go recently and really thought much more highly of it, finding it both powerful and moving. It has a rather relentless 'batter-you-over-the-head' quality to it but I no longer saw this as a defect.

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: vandermolen on October 25, 2014, 12:21:00 AM
It has a rather relentless 'batter-you-over-the-head' quality to it but I no longer saw this as a defect.

Fanfare's review of it makes a similar point:

"Hearing this symphony, I imagine myself as a landmass over which a relentless series of cold fronts pass, over the course of 70 minutes. Some produce heavy rain, others thunder and lightning, and still others a dense fog...It's like being pelted with rain and gale-force winds, and being unable to find shelter. After having heard this symphony a handful of times over about as many days, I am beginning to think that it is not very good for my mental health."

http://www.fanfaremag.com/content/view/59083/10270/

vandermolen

Quote from: Velimir on October 25, 2014, 08:36:55 AM
Fanfare's review of it makes a similar point:

"Hearing this symphony, I imagine myself as a landmass over which a relentless series of cold fronts pass, over the course of 70 minutes. Some produce heavy rain, others thunder and lightning, and still others a dense fog...It's like being pelted with rain and gale-force winds, and being unable to find shelter. After having heard this symphony a handful of times over about as many days, I am beginning to think that it is not very good for my mental health."

http://www.fanfaremag.com/content/view/59083/10270/

Thanks. Interesting review. I will try to listen to it again over the next couple of days and report back. I did enjoy it (if that is the right word) last time I heard it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

snyprrr

Quote from: Velimir on October 24, 2014, 12:33:10 PM
Figuring out the 9th

snyprrr

sorry

the 9th, more than any other, is "just information" as AGP would say.
i find it totally Abstract.
listen along with
R Sessions to

'get it

'

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: snyprrr on October 25, 2014, 05:05:33 PM
sorry

the 9th, more than any other, is "just information" as AGP would say.
i find it totally Abstract.

That's precisely why I now find it intriguing. If AP steps out of his persona of suffering and gloom to write a more "objective" type of symphony, I find that notion quite interesting, and I'm wondering how well it works. Is this AP trying to write like Simpson, Frankel or Holmboe, and does he succeed or not? That is the question.

rw1883

Thanks to The Haydn House Collection (http://www.haydnhouse.com/home.htm) I finally heard Pettersson's 6th conducted by Okku Kamu.  What an incredible performance!!  Too many thoughts to put down regarding this recording so all I want to say is: buy this set!!!

P.S.
The 2CD set also comes with Comissiona conducting Pettersson's 9th (haven't heard yet due to restarting the Kamu :)). 

vandermolen

Quote from: rw1883 on June 04, 2015, 08:23:03 AM
Thanks to The Haydn House Collection (http://www.haydnhouse.com/home.htm) I finally heard Pettersson's 6th conducted by Okku Kamu.  What an incredible performance!!  Too many thoughts to put down regarding this recording so all I want to say is: buy this set!!!

P.S.
The 2CD set also comes with Comissiona conducting Pettersson's 9th (haven't heard yet due to restarting the Kamu :)).
The Kamu performance of Symphony 6 is in a class of its own. Very sad that it has never been issued on CD.

The new erato

Quote from: vandermolen on September 20, 2015, 09:32:45 AM
The Kamu performance of Symphony 6 is in a class of its own. Very sad that it has never been issued on CD.
Perhaps I have to connect my record player to my system again. I have the LP.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 20, 2015, 09:32:45 AM

The Commissiona 8 and 9 and Dorati 10 were also, as far as I know, never reissued.

vandermolen

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on September 20, 2015, 02:42:59 PM
The Commissiona 8 and 9 and Dorati 10 were also, as far as I know, never reissued.
The former was amazingly released on a DGG LP.

The new erato

Quote from: vandermolen on September 20, 2015, 11:14:45 PM
The former was amazingly released on a DGG LP.
I have that (Comissiona)as well on LP. Fond memories. Originally recorded IIRC by Stickan Andersson's (ABBAs manager) Polar label subsidized with ABBA money. I think I have the Swedish Polar issue, but need to check.

vandermolen

Quote from: The new erato on September 21, 2015, 12:08:00 AM
I have that (Comissiona)as well on LP. Fond memories. Originally recorded IIRC by Stickan Andersson's (ABBAs manager) Polar label subsidized with ABBA money. I think I have the Swedish Polar issue, but need to check.
I have the LP too - it was such a great surprise to see it released at the time. 😀

Wieland