Josef Suk 1874-1935

Started by vandermolen, March 28, 2009, 04:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 20, 2019, 11:06:08 AM
I randomly decided to go for a Naxos CD with Suk's Serenade for Strings (alongside Dvorak's). Haven't heard the Dvorak yet, but the Suk is great. Lush, Czech late Romanticism. It seems he would later gain acclaim for writing dark music. I can't say that this one is particularly dark, but it is definitely harmonically interesting at times. I want to hear his Asrael symphony.

Indeed, the Serenade for Strings is a real beauty! You'll also want to check out his 1st Symphony in E major and Fantastic Scherzo, two greatly life-affirming works also from his early period. Suk's style underwent a sharp change around 1904-05, when both his teacher Dvorak and his wife Otilie died in quick succession. His music became much more dark and psychological in contrast to his sunny, melodic earlier works.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

jidlomonster

I find that I love almost all of Suk's output (that I know) up to and including Asrael, but find most of his later music elusive and surprisingly unattractive.   But I'd like to add to the list of recommendations in the previous posts.  The G minor Fantasy for violin and orchestra is a wonderful work, and the suites 'Under the Apple Tree' and 'Fairytale' are irresistible too.  One of his best works is the symphonic poem 'Prague' - it uses a theme similar to the 'God's Warriors' chorale familiar from Smetana's 'Má vlast' - a theme that he constnatly transforms throughout the work with great skill and imagination.  On a smaller scale, the Four Pieces for violin and piano are also well worth investigating.

Pohjolas Daughter

A favorite Suk set/CDs of mine which I don't believe have been mentioned here before now

There's a lovely 3-CD set on Supraphon of his chamber works (also available separately):

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Scion7

^ Excellent stuff, PD.  He was a very good composer and grandson is a great violinist.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

kyjo

Quote from: jidlomonster on September 25, 2021, 03:01:48 AM
I find that I love almost all of Suk's output (that I know) up to and including Asrael, but find most of his later music elusive and surprisingly unattractive.   But I'd like to add to the list of recommendations in the previous posts.  The G minor Fantasy for violin and orchestra is a wonderful work, and the suites 'Under the Apple Tree' and 'Fairytale' are irresistible too.  One of his best works is the symphonic poem 'Prague' - it uses a theme similar to the 'God's Warriors' chorale familiar from Smetana's 'Má vlast' - a theme that he constnatly transforms throughout the work with great skill and imagination.  On a smaller scale, the Four Pieces for violin and piano are also well worth investigating.

I generally agree with you. Among his later works, I recall enjoying Ripening pretty well, but I struggled a bit with A Summer Tale, which some consider a masterpiece - I'll have to revisit it soon. But yes, I love all the earlier works you mention, along with of course the magical Fantastic Scherzo, the warm-hearted Serenade for Strings, the wonderfully life-enhancing 1st Symphony in E major, the astonishingly precocious Piano Quartet op. 1, the slightly more complex but still very attractive Piano Quintet, and the wonderfully contrasting Ballad and Serenade for cello and piano. To me, these works represent a wonderful continuation of the Czech Romantic tradition of his teacher, Dvorak.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Roasted Swan

When you sign up to the free Naxos Newsletter you get sent 2 free [FLAC or MP3] download links each month.  This month is a nailed-on gem;

Given that Ancerl never made a studio recording of Asrael this is of especial importance and very fine indeed by any standard.  Inspired playing by the Sudwestorcester Baden-Baden and better than decent sound.  A must-hear for anyone who admires the work - and its free!

https://benefits.naxos.com/Gift/Redeem/G.a34f3729d08148cc9aeb836ad3f53f1b

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 15, 2021, 03:59:54 AM
When you sign up to the free Naxos Newsletter you get sent 2 free [FLAC or MP3] download links each month.  This month is a nailed-on gem;

Given that Ancerl never made a studio recording of Asrael this is of especial importance and very fine indeed by any standard.  Inspired playing by the Sudwestorcester Baden-Baden and better than decent sound.  A must-hear for anyone who admires the work - and its free!

Cool!  Thanks for telling us about this!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Maestro267

Bumping ahead of Suk's 150th birthday on Thursday, especially early for our first major composer anniversary year.

The thread title is incorrect, the birth year must be changed to 1874.

Brian

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 02, 2024, 11:42:29 AMThe thread title is incorrect, the birth year must be changed to 1874.
done  ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 02, 2024, 11:42:29 AMBumping ahead of Suk's 150th birthday on Thursday, especially early for our first major composer anniversary year.

The thread title is incorrect, the birth year must be changed to 1874.
Oh, neat!

And well done Brian!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Daverz

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 15, 2021, 03:59:54 AMWhen you sign up to the free Naxos Newsletter you get sent 2 free [FLAC or MP3] download links each month.  This month is a nailed-on gem;

Yes, a great recording of Asrael.  Just be warned that the big climax meant to sound like the beating of the Angel of Death's wings is let down by a badly caught bass drum.  The sound is otherwise very good.

vandermolen

Now playing:
Happy 150th Birthday Josef Suk
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brian

Just listened to the birthday boy's "Ripening" from the new Ancerl live box. Will put on the Serenade and maybe a piano recital this afternoon!