Josef Suk 1874-1935

Started by vandermolen, March 28, 2009, 04:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grazioso

Quote from: Leo K on April 07, 2011, 09:26:21 AM
What about Suk's chamber music? Any recommends to look out for?

There's a complete 3-disc set on Supraphon. I have it but haven't heard it yet, so I can't vouch for it.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Lethevich

The Hyperion disc of the piano quartet and quintet is highly recommendable, his quartets are very fine but I find them to be less essential given the competition in the field even amongst his compatriots.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Mirror Image

I find myself enjoying Pohadka "Fairy Tale" more and more each time I hear it. I guess it's the orchestration and harmonies. I especially like the Funeral Music section which is only a 6-7 minute movement, but is so poignant and haunting.

Mirror Image

Looks like a new recording of Asrael is in the pipeline and coupled with Britten's Sinfonia da Requiem:

[asin]B0083SEJU8[/asin]

Anyone else going to be buying this? I know I am! Belohlavek is one of my favorite conductors of Czech music.

Mirror Image

Has anyone heard this Asrael recording:

[asin]B002J0QDNM[/asin]

Mirror Image

Suk's music can divided up into two distinct periods: the works before Asrael which are all the pre-1905-06 works where his musical language contained more folk-like melodies and his harmony more bright and definitely in a late-Romantic idiom, then Asrael and everything after a shift in tone occurs. The music became more introspective, grim, and tragic. The musical language relied less on his earlier phase and he began to develop his own highly personal style. I wonder where he would have gone had he lived longer? His music was definitely approaching early Modernism. The last large scale work he composed was Epilogue which is something he worked on for nine years written for soloists, chorus, and orchestra. Suk, along with Janacek and Martinu, is one of the more interesting Czech composers of the 20th Century IMHO. He created his own personal idiom and he wrote from his heart. An incredible composer.

DieNacht

"Things Lived and Dreamed op.30" is probably his most interesting piano work, a cycle somewhat modernistic, quirky and approahing the daring cycles of Janacek. There is a fine historical recording by Frantisek Maxian and a fine one by Pavel Stepan too. I haven´t heard the Naxos recording or others.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DieNacht on June 06, 2012, 10:02:28 AM
"Things Lived and Dreamed" is probably his most interesting piano work, a cycle somewhat modernistic, quirky and approahing the daring cycles of Janacek. There is a fine historical recording by Frantisek Maxian and a fine one by Pavel Stepan too. I haven´t heard the Naxos recording.

Cool, thanks for the suggestion. I would like to get Suk's chamber works too, but it appears the Supraphon box set is out-of-print. I should have bought when I had the chance.

thulium

Hello, recently I felt in love with Josef Suk's Scherzo Fantastique op. 25. If you never listened to it before I strongly suggest you to do it. I am amazed by the fact that there is so much great music, however not so famous, because a lot composers lived in the shadow of others.

Lisztianwagner

Josef Suk's About Mother was strongly recommended to me; indeed it's a wonderful solo piano set, I liked it very much, especially the third and the fourth piece. The nocturnal How Mother Sang at Night to the Sick Child is quiet and peaceful, but at the same time also deep, thoughtful and evocative; the pedal ostinato and the development of the melody through various tonal progressions depict a beautiful atmosphere. About Mother's Heart is melancholic, but very fascinating; I loved how the irregular ostinato softly shades in perdendosi before the lyrical, sweet middle section, as well as the changes in mood and dynamics, very suggestive and meaninful.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 06, 2012, 09:41:36 AM
Has anyone heard this Asrael recording:

[asin]B002J0QDNM[/asin]

Only two years later! Yes, great performance.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Rinaldo

Listening to the Mackerras disc with Czech Phil. and boy, am I late to the party or what? Summer's Tale conclusion is simply GORGEOUS and what can I say about the Fantastic scherzo that hasn't been said already? Should definitely be part of the canon, dammit! Such lovely, lovely work.

Scion7

to hear Suk regularly, if at all, in-concert, I'm afraid you'd have to be in the Czech Republic . . .

Very good composer, and grandson a great violinist!
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Rinaldo

Quote from: Scion7 on October 16, 2015, 01:17:49 PM
to hear Suk regularly, if at all, in-concert, I'm afraid you'd have to be in the Czech Republic.

I am ;) And believe it or not, still catching up with some of the great composers my country has to offer.

With Suk, I was underwhelmed when l listened to Azrael years ago, but now he certainly has my full attention.

North Star

Quote from: Rinaldo on October 16, 2015, 01:37:25 PM
I am ;) And believe it or not, still catching up with some of the great composers my country has to offer.

With Suk, I was underwhelmed when l listened to Azrael years ago, but now he certainly has my full attention.
Two words for you, Rinaldo: About Mother.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Scion7

sorry, didn't notice your location - duh!  :-)   

Land of Dvorak, Smetana, and the rest.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Quote from: Rinaldo on October 16, 2015, 12:53:18 PM
Listening to the Mackerras disc with Czech Phil. and boy, am I late to the party or what? Summer's Tale conclusion is simply GORGEOUS and what can I say about the Fantastic scherzo that hasn't been said already? Should definitely be part of the canon, dammit! Such lovely, lovely work.
Great disc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Rinaldo

Quote from: North Star on October 16, 2015, 01:40:13 PM
Two words for you, Rinaldo: About Mother.

Duly noted! Found this performance at the Czech Museum of Music:

https://www.youtube.com/v/hRwwkf-z22I

GioCar

Just bought 3 CDs with a selection of Suk's orchestral works, conducted by Kirill Petrenko.

I'm quite curious. I've never heard Kirill Petrenko - actually he made very few recordings so far - and I've read somewhere he has been championing Suk's music for years.
Here with a Berlin Orchestra, of course, but not yet the famous one... ;)