Post pictures of your classical LP's - no CD's please

Started by Coopmv, April 03, 2009, 05:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: Bogey on April 04, 2009, 05:57:47 AM
They have this Reiner down at the used shop for a few bones.....hmmmmmm.

Grab it, the recording was Horowitz at his prime ...

George

Quote from: Todd on April 04, 2009, 06:30:50 AMThe CD version is now an ArkivCD.

Thanks. I assume you mean those CD-R copies?

How's the playing on that one?

Coopmv

Quote from: Todd on April 04, 2009, 06:30:50 AM

The CD version is now an ArkivCD.

The LP I have and posted earlier is a London Phase 4.  They are probably two different recordings ...

Bogey

Quote from: Coopmv on April 04, 2009, 06:40:19 AM
The LP I have and posted earlier is a London Phase 4.  They are probably two different recordings ...

Love the Phase 4's.  Just grabbed Stokowski's LvB 9th with this.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Coopmv

Alexis Weissenberg and Chopin ...  I need to find some time to play the two Bach CD's by Weissenberg - Goldberg Variations and Italian Concertos.

Coopmv

Quote from: Todd on April 04, 2009, 06:30:50 AM

The CD version is now an ArkivCD.

But what made Firkusny interesting is he was a student of Artur Schnabel.  The late radio personality Karl Haas was also a student of Schnabel.  I used to enjoy Haas' program Adventures in Good Music over WQXR when I lived in NYC many moons ago ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artur_Schnabel

Todd

I recently got back into vinyl after a couple of decades without, mostly because it's fun, but also because some titles are harder to find on CD than LP - and some may never have made it to CD.  I don't recall ever seeing mention of Zimerman's Mozart on CD, for instance.  (Hopefully this uploads.)
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

Moravec playing LvB's C Minor concerto was also a nice find.

Coopmv

Quote from: Todd on April 04, 2009, 06:54:51 AM
I recently got back into vinyl after a couple of decades without, mostly because it's fun, but also because some titles are harder to find on CD than LP - and some may never have made it to CD.  I don't recall ever seeing mention of Zimerman's Mozart on CD, for instance.  (Hopefully this uploads.)

You are right.  Krystian Zimerman seems to be a forgotten artist on the DG roster.  While he is no Sviatoslav Richter, he is a fine pianist ...

Coopmv

Quote from: Todd on April 04, 2009, 06:58:59 AM
Moravec playing LvB's C Minor concerto was also a nice find.

I have a number of recordings on the Pro-Arte label as well, both LP and CD.  Not sure what happened to the company ...

Todd

Quote from: Coopmv on April 04, 2009, 07:00:10 AMKrystian Zimerman seems to be a forgotten artist on the DG roster.

By his choice.  He records infrequently and postpones releases himself, and reportedly had DG pull his solo Brahms from the market.  To be honest, I'd rather listen to Zimerman more than Richter a lot of the time.

Todd

Quote from: Coopmv on April 04, 2009, 07:01:51 AMI have a number of recordings on the Pro-Arte label as well, both LP and CD.  Not sure what happened to the company ...

I believe it's dead.  In the case of the Moravec recording it acted as a US distributor.

Coopmv

Quote from: Todd on April 04, 2009, 07:04:12 AM

I believe it's dead.  In the case of the Moravec recording it acted as a US distributor.

But Pro-Arte managed to release some recordings by Gustav Leonhardt.

Coopmv

Here is one of my early favorites, Chopin by Tamas Vasary.  I believe the LP was recorded in the 1960's.

Todd

Quote from: Coopmv on April 04, 2009, 07:11:58 AMBut Pro-Arte managed to release some recordings by Gustav Leonhardt.

Recently?  Maybe it's still around, I don't know. 

But here's another extraordinary release on the label.  These two performances are better than from Sherman's later cycle.  Sound is disappointing, but this is one of the best LvB recital discs I've heard.

Todd

I wonder why more recordings by William Steinberg aren't available.  This Schubert disc is quite enjoyable.  Apparently, Steinberg recorded quite a bit on Command Classics (ABC records).

Sergeant Rock

This is most of my LP collection (there are a few hundred more in another room):

This is the first classical LP I ever bought: in 1966 when I was 16:

Sarge

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Todd

I already had Kubelik's recording of the Slavonic Dances on CD, but I couldn't resist this LP set, which also has the Ninth Symphony included.  Sound quality for the LPs is much better than for the CD, which is too thin and edgy.  Indeed, strings sound better on LP.  I love this set.

Coopmv

Quote from: Todd on April 04, 2009, 07:16:42 AM

Recently?  Maybe it's still around, I don't know. 

But here's another extraordinary release on the label.  These two performances are better than from Sherman's later cycle.  Sound is disappointing, but this is one of the best LvB recital discs I've heard.

The Pro-Arte's release of Leonhardt's recordings was from the early to mid 80's.

Coopmv

Quote from: Todd on April 04, 2009, 07:19:50 AM
I wonder why more recordings by William Steinberg aren't available.  This Schubert disc is quite enjoyable.  Apparently, Steinberg recorded quite a bit on Command Classics (ABC records).

Not sure, there were some very fine Steinberg's recordings with the Pittsburgh Symphony ...