Post pictures of your classical LP's - no CD's please

Started by Coopmv, April 03, 2009, 05:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on April 04, 2009, 07:34:59 AM
The Pro-Arte's release of Leonhardt's recordings was from the early to mid 80's.

Probably no recordings which were not released by other firms, or ...?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on April 04, 2009, 07:39:44 AM
Probably no recordings which were not released by other firms, or ...?

Nothing in life remains exclusive forever, especially in the commercial space.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Coopmv on April 04, 2009, 03:59:38 AM
My understanding is this set is one of the most highly regarded Dvorak Symphonies.  I have not played this set in at least ten years ...

I own that box too. You can see the spine (orange and white) in the upper right of my first picture. To its immediate left is the Kertész box of Dvorak symphonies, and beside that (dark red spine) Rowicki's.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Coopmv

Here is one of the early day Chopin LP's by Martha Argerich ...

Coopmv

Here's the Wagner 2-LP set by Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra I never seem to be able to find on CD ...

Jay F

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 04, 2009, 07:21:45 AM

I love the way you can look at a wall of LPs and always recognize the Deutsche Grammophons.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: nicht schleppend on April 04, 2009, 08:15:02 AM
I love the way you can look at a wall of LPs and always recognize the Deutsche Grammophons.

Yep, can't miss 'em.  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

gomro

Just a few of the pile:

Has Karl Korte's Remembrances; a great piece, one of the transcendental moments of my early encounters with modern classical/electronic music.

My first experience with Xenakis and Penderecki; I'd never heard anything like it.

My first Honegger, and a real fine one; I'd heard Varese and Milhaud before, but not those pieces.

Rudin has been trying to get this thing released on CD for years; he was very dissatisfied with the mix on this album, but so far it's all we've got.

hildegard

Still my favorite Seasons!  :)

Coopmv

Quote from: hildegard on April 04, 2009, 12:29:46 PM
Still my favorite Seasons!  :)

I have never seen this Vivaldi's Four Seasons by Trevor Pinnock LP cover.  I do not recall if the CD had the same cover and have not played the CD in years.

Jay F

Quote from: Coopmv on April 04, 2009, 12:37:40 PM

I have never seen this Vivaldi's Four Seasons by Trevor Pinnock LP cover.  I do not recall if the CD had the same cover and have not played the CD in years.
The CD booklet is silver and doesn't have his photo on it.

Coopmv

Here is the ONLY Mahler recording I have on LP ...

hildegard

Quote from: Coopmv on April 04, 2009, 12:37:40 PM

Quote from: nicht schleppend on April 04, 2009, 01:37:49 PM
The CD booklet is silver and doesn't have his photo on it.

Did not know it was available on CD, but shall look for it.

I guess having that picture of Pinnock on the CD cover would date it (him) too much. This was recorded in Henry Wood Hall, October 20-23, 1981. Below a more recent picture of Pinnock.

Photo: Clive Barda

Coopmv

Quote from: hildegard on April 04, 2009, 05:21:35 PM
Did not know it was available on CD, but shall look for it.

I guess having that picture of Pinnock on the CD cover would date it (him) too much. This was recorded in Henry Wood Hall, October 20-23, 1981. Below a more recent picture of Pinnock.

Photo: Clive Barda

I believe that LP was probably released in the late 70's to early 80's.  That original recording was later remastered to CD ...

hildegard

Quote from: Coopmv on April 04, 2009, 05:25:57 PM
I believe that LP was probably released in the late 70's to early 80's.  That original recording was later remastered to CD ...

It was recorded in 1981 and released in 1982. Clive Barda also took the picture on the LP cover. There may be a 70s recording of which I'm not aware. BTW, this is also a digital recording.

Coopmv

Quote from: hildegard on April 04, 2009, 05:29:56 PM
It was recorded in 1981 and released in 1982. Clive Barda also took the picture on the LP cover. There may be a 70s recording of which I'm not aware.

I attended a concert given by the English Concert and Trevor Pinnock at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC in the summer of 86.  The program was mostly baroque works.  While Trevor Pinncok conducted from the harpsichord, he came up to the front of the ensemble to provide a brief introduction at the beginning of each work the group was about to perform, which was super cool in my opinion.

hildegard

Quote from: Coopmv on April 04, 2009, 05:51:09 PM
I attended a concert given by the English Concert and Trevor Pinnock at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC in the summer of 86.  The program was mostly baroque works.  While Trevor Pinncok conducted from the harpsichord, he came up to the front of the ensemble to provide a brief introduction at the beginning of each work the group was about to perform, which was super cool in my opinion.

Sounds like a truly memorable experience! 

Pinnock's down-to-earth demeanor, IMO, always surprisingly belies his talents. He also happens to share his birthday with Beethoven.

Coopmv

Quote from: hildegard on April 04, 2009, 06:17:04 PM
Sounds like a truly memorable experience! 

Pinnock's down-to-earth demeanor, IMO, always surprisingly belies his greatness. He also happens to share his birthday with Beethoven.

The concert with Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert I attended in that summer evening in 1986 was truly a memorable experience. 

I also attended the performance of Israel in Egypt conducted by John Eliot Gardiner/English Baroque Soloists/Monteverdi Choir in the early 80's at Lincoln Center in NYC.  That was a very memorable concert as well.

Christopher Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music was the only one of the three English ensembles instrumental in firmly establishing HIP as the mainstream that I did not have the opportunity to attend a single concert with, though I taped one of its concerts given at the Library of Congress and digitized it on the computer only a few months ago.  The concert still sounds great after twenty some years ...   

Jay F

Coopmv

Quote from: nicht schleppend on April 05, 2009, 04:46:44 AM

I will give this CD a spin.  For some reasons, I prefer the one by Christopher Hogwood and the AAM over this version.