Post pictures of your classical LP's - no CD's please

Started by Coopmv, April 03, 2009, 05:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Here are several of my LPs featuring Bernard Herrmann, either as composer or conductor:

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

My first Bach LPs, Britten's Brandenburgs. I bought this in Korea in 1969. The music kept me company during those long (14 hour) night shifts on the DMZ.

Sarge

Coopmv

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 05, 2009, 05:46:39 AM
My first Bach LPs, Britten's Brandenburgs. I bought this in Korea in 1969. The music kept me company during those long (14 hour) night shifts on the DMZ.

Sarge

You needed some uplifting music to cheer you up at the DMZ, which is no doubt a very depressing area ...

Mandryka

I don't have any LPs any more but there were two which I recall had beautiful booklets -- great works of graphic design. One was Solti's Elektra. The other was Leinsdorf's Walkure.

It would be nice to see an image of some of those pages -- but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me!

And there were some amazingly big boxes -- Colin Davies's Les Troyens, for example.

I don't miss LPs much -- I know the sound quality was supurb -- but only at the start of the disc. As you got further in towards  the middle and the grooves got closer together it inevitably deteriorated IMO.

I also don't miss all that faff balancing the tone arm and brushing the record wth anti-static stuff and cleaning / changing the stylus!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Coopmv

Quote from: Mandryka on April 05, 2009, 09:57:53 AM
I don't have any LPs any more but there were two which I recall had beautiful booklets -- great works of graphic design. One was Solti's Elektra. The other was Leinsdorf's Walkure.

It would be nice to see an image of some of those pages -- but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me!

And there were some amazingly big boxes -- Colin Davies's Les Troyens, for example.

I don't miss LPs much -- I know the sound quality was supurb -- but only at the start of the disc. As you got further in towards  the middle and the grooves got closer together it inevitably deteriorated IMO.

I also don't miss all that faff balancing the tone arm and brushing the record wth anti-static stuff and cleaning / changing the stylus!

I don't think there are many if any vinyl diehards on GMG.  I really do not play the thousands of LP's I have that often - perhaps a few times a year.  CD's are so much more convenient ...

Sergeant Rock

I don't have the Leinsdorf but do have Solti's Elektra. I'll scan or photograph some pages for you tomorrow.

Sarge

Coopmv

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 05, 2009, 11:48:13 AM
I don't have the Leinsdorf but do have Solti's Elektra. I'll scan or photograph some pages for you tomorrow.

Sarge

We can all use a 12 x 12 scanner.  Taking a digital picture of an LP cover is a bit of a pain ...

knight66

I cannot find it in a decent size, which was a lot of its appeal. But the Carlos Kleiber Tristan cover was so beautiful, high gloss, I wanted to lick it. This is the LP illustration rather than the CD, but far too small to appreciate the impact.

As to booklets, amongst the best was the Solti Rosenkavalier with its beautiful Alfred Roller illustrations and a foldout with notated musical themes.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Bogey

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 05, 2009, 05:29:58 AM
Here are several of my LPs featuring Bernard Herrmann, either as composer or conductor:

Sarge

Can you give these Herrmanns a quick rating for me, Sarge?  Much appreciated.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Coopmv

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 05, 2009, 05:29:58 AM

This album cover has a somewhat modern appeal to it, even though it is probably from 40 years ago ...

dirkronk

Quote from: Coopmv on April 05, 2009, 10:09:27 AM
I don't think there are many if any vinyl diehards on GMG. 

Oh, there are a few...
;D

Quote from: Coopmv on April 05, 2009, 10:09:27 AMI really do not play the thousands of LP's I have that often - perhaps a few times a year.  CD's are so much more convenient ...

Convenient, perhaps. And there's no question that digital is much easier to cut, edit and manipulate. But for sheer beauty of sound, give me a good analog recording any time. I listen to my LPs (a few at a time, of course, not non-stop) every week. And I usually do so in company of one of a handful of other local vinyl-fanciers, on very fine hi-fi equipment. And occasionally, VERY fine wine and/or single-malt scotch is part of the evening's entertainment.
8)

Dirk

springrite

Took a few photos of the LPs with the cellphone, so the quality is not that good.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

springrite

Got a few of those baby ones, too!

springrite

I have not seen these two on CD yet

springrite

This one is clearly not classical, but it is a classic!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Coopmv on April 05, 2009, 12:07:13 PM
  We can all use a 12 x 12 scanner.  Taking a digital picture of an LP cover is a bit of a pain ...

Over the last several years I've scanned quite a few LP covers, posting them on this forum, but it is a tedious process, each cover needing two or three scans which then have to assembled, color corrected and balanced in Photoshop. A 12x12 scanner would be perfect for the job  :)

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

I don't have any LPs any more but there were two which I recall had beautiful booklets -- great works of graphic design. One was Solti's Elektra....It would be nice to see an image of some of those pages -- but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me!

Here's the Elektra box:

and the booklet:

The booklet has twenty-four pages. Here are five with the synopsis and analysis (click on thumbnails):

Sarge

springrite

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 07, 2009, 12:14:32 PM
Here's the Elektra box:

and the booklet:

The booklet has twenty-four pages. Here are five with the synopsis and analysis (click on thumbnails):

Sarge

I have that box, too. Aren't LP opera boxes wonderful? Elektra, Lulu, Salome and, wouldn't you know it, I have Barber's Vanessa as well!