Villa-Lobos Anyone?

Started by bvy, March 01, 2008, 03:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

What an imagination for chamber ensembles Villa-Lobos has! It really feels like the 20-odd year gap that splits his symphony cycle almost down the middle produced some of his most inventive music.

Iota

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 08, 2024, 07:58:40 PMNot sure how many official recordings of Villa-Lobos's magical and unique Quarteto simbólico for flute, alto saxophone, harp, celesta and female voices exist, but I just stumbled upon this recording and it's so cool. I was taken to a fantasy realm by the pristine sonorities of all the performers involved. Singularly beautiful.

I must check that out. As it happens I was listening to his Sexteto místico for flute, oboe, saxophone, celesta, guitar, harp yesterday for the first time, which is also enchanting and a gorgeous ensemble of instruments. The recording was this -

Karl Henning

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 08, 2024, 07:58:40 PMNot sure how many official recordings of Villa-Lobos's magical and unique Quarteto simbólico for flute, alto saxophone, harp, celesta and female voices exist, but I just stumbled upon this recording and it's so cool. I was taken to a fantasy realm by the pristine sonorities of all the performers involved. Singularly beautiful.

Thanks for the tip, Cesar!

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Iota on April 09, 2024, 03:34:46 AMI must check that out. As it happens I was listening to his Sexteto místico for flute, oboe, saxophone, celesta, guitar, harp yesterday for the first time, which is also enchanting and a gorgeous ensemble of instruments. The recording was this -

A great work indeed, I'm very fond of that piece too. His Quinteto instrumental for flute, harp and string trio is another peach.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 09, 2024, 12:11:59 PMThanks for the tip, Cesar!

My pleasure, Karl. I hope you have enjoyed it as well.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot