Arthur Butterworth(1923-)

Started by Dundonnell, December 18, 2008, 05:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

For me Butterworth's most original (possibly enduring) voice is his Brass Band music which is genuinely very fine.  I enjoy his orchestral music/the symphonies but they are just a bit too "sounds like" to be of lasting worth.

Alex Bozman

Quote from: Roasted Swan on December 17, 2023, 10:21:59 AMFor me Butterworth's most original (possibly enduring) voice is his Brass Band music which is genuinely very fine.  I enjoy his orchestral music/the symphonies but they are just a bit too "sounds like" to be of lasting worth.

The first piece by Butterworth that I heard was a work for brass band, his Dales Suite. I'd be interested knowing what pieces you recommend for this medium, as don't recall hearing much else.

My perception of Butterworth's orchestral music differs in that even in those works where the influence is apparent, there is usually sufficient of the composer's own imprint to absorb rather than be dominated by them. There are also pieces like the Organ Concerto, which don't much sound like other Butterworth and are hard to discern what influences, if any. are at work.

Roasted Swan

The "main" disc of Butterworth for Brass is this one;

top-notch performances by top-notch players of some really idiomatic and fine music.  Then there are individual pieces included in a couple of band "recital" discs;

The BIS disc includes his "Tritons" suite and the Foden's disc "Odin - From the Land of Fire and Ice" suite.  Again fine music very well-played (and both part of interesting/enjoyable recitals)

Its not that I think Butterworth's Brass music is substantively BETTER than his other music.  Just that in - say - the crowded field of British 20th Century Symphonies, his music, enjoyable though it is, is not as distinctive as others.  I remember the 1st time I heard the Bostock coupling of his No.1 and Gipps' No.2.  I enjoyed both works a lot but the Gipps was/is the work that sticks more in my memory.  In the field of Brass band music there are many fine composers/arrangers - Edward Gregson stands out for one - but Butterworth's music here is not just good but more original within the genre.

Irons

Quote from: Roasted Swan on December 18, 2023, 02:27:51 AMThe "main" disc of Butterworth for Brass is this one;

top-notch performances by top-notch players of some really idiomatic and fine music.  Then there are individual pieces included in a couple of band "recital" discs;

The BIS disc includes his "Tritons" suite and the Foden's disc "Odin - From the Land of Fire and Ice" suite.  Again fine music very well-played (and both part of interesting/enjoyable recitals)

Its not that I think Butterworth's Brass music is substantively BETTER than his other music.  Just that in - say - the crowded field of British 20th Century Symphonies, his music, enjoyable though it is, is not as distinctive as others.  I remember the 1st time I heard the Bostock coupling of his No.1 and Gipps' No.2.  I enjoyed both works a lot but the Gipps was/is the work that sticks more in my memory.  In the field of Brass band music there are many fine composers/arrangers - Edward Gregson stands out for one - but Butterworth's music here is not just good but more original within the genre.

I enjoyed very much 'Passacaglia for Brass on a Theme of Brahms' from the first album above.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Maestro267

I listened to the 5th Symphony earlier and the slow movement is incredible! It's in a similar vein to the haunting slow movt. of the Viola Concerto imo.