Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

1. What do you think are among Beethoven's greatest achievements?

Being a successful, self-employed musician; proving that a talented man didn't have to be some aristocrat's slave. Freedom, baby, freedom.

2. What are your favorite works by Beethoven?  Least favorite?

Favorites I'll catalog below. Least favorite? Not applicable. I even enjoy Wellington's Victory. I'm a student of the Napoleonic Wars and this music references a famous battle; it's just good, mindless, noisy fun.

3. Do you feel that Beethoven's personal challenges (deafness; nephew issues; etc) considerably heightened the emotional content of his music?

I've read all the prior answers. The forum seems to be split. I think of certain composers, Havergal Brian for example: knowing nothing about the man, you'd never guess his 32nd Symphony was written by a 96-year-old man. No hint of nostalgia, bitterness, regret, or approaching death. It's confident, even swaggering. Brian did not go gently into that good night. I have to conclude his personal circumstances had little affect on his music. On the other hand, Pettersson's cruel early life and his crippling disease clearly had a major influence on his music. Brahms' circumstances near the end of his life (all his closest friends gone; family gone; the feeling that he was alone) can be heard in his late music.

Considering Beethoven, yes, I think his music probably was influenced by his personal trials and tribulations. I mean, even Muss es sein can be traced to a petty money matter and the Heiliger Dankgesang was inspired by his renewed health after a serious illness.

4. Any favorite recordings?  Of Symphonies? Piano Sonatas? Concertos?  Chamber?  Overtures?

Where to begin...even more troubling, where to end... ;D

Missa Solemnis - Klemperer/New Philharmonia

Symphony 1 - Klemperer/Phiharmonia

Symphony 2 - Szell/Cleveland

Symphony 3 - Bernstein/NY Phil

Symphony 4 - Kleiber/Bayerisches Staatsorchester

Symphony 5 - Szell/Concertgebouw

Symphóny 5 - Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin

Symphony 6 - Klemperer/Philharmonia

Symphony 7 - Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin

Symphony 8 - Norrington/London Classical Players

Symphony 8 - Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin

Symphony 9 - Norrington/London Classical Players

Symphony 9 - Dohnányi/Cleveland

Symphony 9 - Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin

Violin Concerto - Brüggen/Zehetmair/O 18th Century

Piano Concertos - Szell/Gilels/Cleveland

Piano Conertos 1 & 2 - Sinopoli/Argerich/Philharmonia

Piano Concerto 4 - Klemperer/Barenboim/New Philharmonia

Piano Concerto 4 - Masur/Grimaud/NY Phil

Piano Concerto 5 - Davis/Arrau/Dresden

Triple Concerto - Karajan/Richter/Oistrakh/Rostropovich/Berlin Phil

Fantasia C minor for Piano, Chorus and Orchetra - Salonen/Grimaud/Swedish Radio

Violin Sonatas - Mutter/Orkis

Cello Sonatas - Rostropovich/Richter

String Quintet C major Op.29 - Toyko SQ with Zukerman

String Quartets Op. 18 - Tokyo SQ

String Quartets Op.59/1, 2, 3 - Lindsay SQ

String Quartet Op.127 - Vegh SQ

String Quartet Op.130 - Budapest SQ (1933/34)

String Quartet Op.130 - Fitzwilliam SQ

String Quartet Op.131 - Vegh SQ

String Quartet Op.132 - Fitzwilliam SQ

String Quartet Op.135 - Emerson SQ

Grosse Fuge Op.133 - Hagen SQ

Piano Trio Op.97 "Archduke" - Ashkenazy, Perlman, Harrel

Piano Sonatas Op.2/1, 2, 3 - Gould

Piano Sonatas Op.10/1, 2, 3 - Pollini

Piano Sonata Op.13 "Pathétique" - Gilels

Piano Sonata Op.27/2  "Moonlight" - Gould

Piano Sonata Op.31/2 "Tempest" - Grimaud

Piano Sonata Op.53 "Waldstein" - Gilels

Piano Sonata Op.57 "Appassionata" - Gilels

Piano Sonata Op.57 "Appassionata" - Pollini

Piano Sonata Op.57 "Appassionata Deconstruction" - Gould  ;D

Piano Sonata Op.78 "À Thérèse" - Gould

Piano Sonata Op.81a "Les Adieux" - Gilels

Piano Sonata Op.101 - Gilels

Piano Sonata Op.106 "Hammerklavier" - Gould (no joke)

Piano Sonata Op.109 - Grimaud

Piano Sonata Op.110 - Grimaud

Piano Sonata Op.111 - Pollini

Für Elise - Ugorski

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

karlhenning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 27, 2007, 08:48:28 AM

Being a successful, self-employed musican; proving that a talented man didn't have to be some aristocrat's slave. Freedom, baby, freedom.

Isn't that the cruellest thing? He proved that it can be done, which makes it so much the more bitter for the many of us who are not so lucky.

George

I stand sit in awe of your thoroughness, Sarge.

You earned this:

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on April 27, 2007, 09:56:04 AM
I stand sit in awe of your thoroughness, Sarge.

You earned this:

Thank you, George...but why do I have the feeling I just wasted a day? ;D

No, seriously, I always appreciate an opportunity to think about music and which recordings I most enjoy. Of course I left out about 200 ;)

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on April 27, 2007, 08:56:34 AM
Isn't that the cruellest thing? He proved that it can be done, which makes it so much the more bitter for the many of us who are not so lucky.

I sympathize, Karl. We're not living in a time that's terribly receptive to, or grateful, for, your talents. I really wish it weren't so.

Sarge

karlhenning

No matter, Sarge;  I make music, because that is what I am fit for, whatever the state of the world around me.

DavidW

Hey Bill since you're on an old recording kick-- have you heard Schnabel perform any of Beethoven's sonatas?  I think he's pretty good, what do you think?

Mozart

Do you need to know about Beet's life and times to fully appreciate his music?

karlhenning

Quote from: Mozart on April 27, 2007, 11:05:18 AM

I don't think so.

BachQ

Great post, Sarge!

Being a successful, self-employed musician; proving that a talented man didn't have to be some aristocrat's slave.

Or a slave of the church . . . . . .

Haffner

Being a successful, self-employed musician; proving that a talented man didn't have to be some aristocrat's slave. Freedom, baby, freedom.

2. What are your favorite works by Beethoven?  Least favorite?

Favorites I'll catalog below. Least favorite? Not applicable. I even enjoy Wellington's Victory. I'm a student of the Napoleonic Wars and this music references a famous battle; it's just good, mindless, noisy fun.

3. Do you feel that Beethoven's personal challenges (deafness; nephew issues; etc) considerably heightened the emotional content of his music?

I've read all the prior answers. The forum seems to be split. I think of certain composers, Havergal Brian for example: knowing nothing about the man, you'd never guess his 32nd Symphony was written by a 96 year old man. No hint of nostalgia, bitterness, regret, or approaching death. It's confident, even swaggering. Brian did not go gently into that good night. I have to conclude his personal circumstances had little affect on his music. On the other hand, Pettersson's cruel early life and his crippling disease clearly had a major influence on his music. Brahms' circumstances near the end of his life (all his closest friends gone; family gone; the feeling that he was alone) can be heard in his late music.

Considering Beethoven, yes, I think his music probably was influenced by his personal trials and tribulations. I mean, even Muss es sein can be traced to a petty money matter and the Heiliger Dankgesang was inspired by his renewed health after a serious illness.

4. Any favorite recordings?  Of Symphonies? Piano Sonatas? Concertos?  Chamber?  Overtures?

Where to begin...even more troubling, where to end... ;D

Missa Solemnis - Klemperer/New Philharmonia

Symphony 1 - Klemperer/Phiharmonia

Symphony 2 - Szell/Cleveland

Symphony 3 - Bernstein/NY Phil

Symphony 4 - Kleiber/Bayerisches Staatsorchester

Symphony 5 - Szell/Concertgebouw

Symphóny 5 - Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin

Symphony 6 - Klemperer/Philharmonia

Symphony 7 - Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin

Symphony 8 - Norrington/London Classical Players

Symphony 8 - Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin

Symphony 9 - Norrington/London Classical Players

Symphony 9 - Dohnányi/Cleveland

Symphony 9 - Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin

Violin Concerto - Brüggen/Zehetmair/O 18th Century

Piano Concertos - Szell/Gilels/Cleveland

Piano Conertos 1 & 2 - Sinopoli/Argerich/Philharmonia

Piano Concerto 4 - Klemperer/Barenboim/New Philharmonia

Piano Concerto 4 - Masur/Grimaud/NY Phil

Piano Concerto 5 - Davis/Arrau/Dresden

Triple Concerto - Karajan/Richter/Oistrakh/Rostropovich/Berlin Phil

Fantasia C minor for Piano, Chorus and Orchetra - Salonen/Grimaud/Swedish Radio

Violin Sonatas - Mutter/Orkis

Cello Sonatas - Rostropovich/Richter

String Quintet C major Op.29 - Toyko SQ with Zukerman

String Quartets Op. 18 - Tokyo SQ

String Quartets Op.59/1, 2, 3 - Lindsay SQ

String Quartet Op.130 - Budapest SQ (1933/34)

String Quartet Op.130 - Fitzwilliam SQ

String Quartet Op.132 - Fitzwilliam SQ

String Quartet Op.135 - Emerson SQ

Grosse Fuge Op.133 - Hagen SQ

Piano Trio Op.97 "Archduke" - Ashkenazy, Perlman, Harrel

Piano Sonatas Op.2/1, 2, 3 - Gould

Piano Sonatas Op.10/1, 2, 3 - Pollini

Piano Sonata Op.13 "Pathétique" - Gilels

Piano Sonata Op.27/2  "Moonlight" - Gould

Piano Sonata Op.31/2 "Tempest" - Grimaud

Piano Sonata Op.53 "Waldstein" - Gilels

Piano Sonata Op.57 "Appassionata" - Gilels

Piano Sonata Op.57 "Appassionata" - Pollini

Piano Sonata Op.57 "Appassionata Deconstruction" - Gould  ;D

Piano Sonata Op.78 "À Thérèse" - Gould

Piano Sonata Op.81a "Les Adieux" - Gilels

Piano Sonata Op.101 - Gilels

Piano Sonata Op.106 "Hammerklavier" - Gould (no joke)

Piano Sonata Op.109 - Grimaud

Piano Sonata Op.110 - Grimaud

Piano Sonata Op.111 - Pollini

Für Elise - Ugorski

Sarge

Posts like yours make coming on this forum worthwhile, Sarge!

String Quartets Op.59/1- Borodin SQ  59/2,3-Vegh

String Quartet Op.130 - Juillard (the classic recording)

String Quartet Op.132 - Borodin

String Quartet Op.135 - Takacs

Grosse Fuge Op.133 - I'm leaning toward the Takacs, but I greatly admire the Vegh and even the Emerson!

Missa Solemnis-Gardiner

"Kreutzer"-Ashenazy/Perlman

In regard to the rest, my jury is still out.

Haffner

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 27, 2007, 10:07:06 AM
I sympathize, Karl. We're not living in a time that's terribly receptive to, or grateful, for, your talents. I really wish it weren't so.

Sarge

Time will change things.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mozart on April 27, 2007, 11:05:18 AM

No...but sometimes it helps. I've told this story before: the Eroica eluded me for years. I just didn't get it. Then I saw a documentary about the symphony which explained the circumstances of its creation, the political situation then and details about Beethoven's life; it explained the revolutionary aspects of the Eroica. That did it; it gave me instant access to the music.

Sarge

Haffner

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 27, 2007, 01:41:49 PM
No...but sometimes it helps. I've told this story before: the Eroica eluded me for years. I just didn't get it. Then I saw a documentary about the symphony which explained the circumstances of its creation, the political situation then and details about Beethoven's life; it explained the revolutionary aspects of the Eroica. That did it; it gave me instant access to the music.

Sarge

I felt the same way about the Eroica. It was hearing Herbert Von Karajan's 1962 recording which completely converted me, now it's one of my favorite LvB pieces.

So, I take it you're referring to the "Eroica" movie, Sarge? The board seems to be roughly split as to its merits, and I personally am interested in it. So I would really appreciate any input you can give on it, as it just might be my future rental from Netflix...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Haffner on April 27, 2007, 02:24:03 PM
So, I take it you're referring to the "Eroica" movie, Sarge?

No, not the movie, Andy. I saw an hour-long television documentary featuring Bernstein's performance with the NY Phil...excerpts, not the entire symphony. I can't recall the exact year but I believe it was in the late 60s.

Sarge

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on April 27, 2007, 11:03:39 AM
Hey Bill since you're on an old recording kick-- have you heard Schnabel perform any of Beethoven's sonatas?  I think he's pretty good, what do you think?

Absolutely love them....I still need a good handful of them.  I have 2 out of the 5 volumes.  I am in no rush, but eventually would like to complete the set as transferred by the Pearl label (George and Que are on board with this label as well).  What transfer have you heard my friend?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

Quote from: Bill on April 27, 2007, 06:32:39 PM
Absolutely love them....I still need a good handful of them.  I have 2 out of the 5 volumes.  I am in no rush, but eventually would like to complete the set as transferred by the Pearl label (George and Que are on board with this label as well).  What transfer have you heard my friend?

I've heard the Naxos ones.  I've heard that Pearl is supposed to be the best, but that might be too pricy for me.  EMI is awful, I heard it and it was like really funky, piano doesn't sound right at all.  That's a high price to pay to get rid of hiss, I think the truth is that you can't completely eliminate hiss without making the piano sound funky.

George

Quote from: DavidW on April 28, 2007, 05:33:19 AM
I've heard the Naxos ones.  I've heard that Pearl is supposed to be the best, but that might be too pricy for me.  EMI is awful, I heard it and it was like really funky, piano doesn't sound right at all.  That's a high price to pay to get rid of hiss, I think the truth is that you can't completely eliminate hiss without making the piano sound funky.

I think you are right.  :)

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on April 28, 2007, 05:33:19 AM

What Geroge said.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

not edward

Which transfers were used on the Regis issue? (That's the one I have, and I assume they didn't transfer it themselves.)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music