Author Topic: Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)  (Read 341514 times)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
Re: Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)
« Reply #1880 on: January 26, 2021, 06:43:40 AM »
Love this anecdote from BIS Records owner Robert von Bahr about the time that he recorded a live "Missa Solemnis" charity concert with Antal Dorati:

"Oh, how I remember this recording! Sometimes I wake up, sweating. We were sitting in the home of the Berlin Phil and recording this Missa Solemnis by Beethoven. It is a real live recording, with only a short patching session prior to the concert, which means that I had to guess what was going to go wrong at the performance. Anyway, everything went well, surprisingly well, considering that the orchestra, the so-called European SO, was put together of members from a huge number of orchestras, all in the name of IPPNW (International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War), until we came to that fantastic violin solo, wonderfully played by Thomas Brandis, concert-master of the Berlin Phil. There in the middle, someone made an unusually ugly and loud cough. I, who was sitting in the control room with nerves outside of my body, lost it and screamed an expletive, completely forgetting that the control room had a small opening to the hall. Thankfully, I had just those few bars from the patching, so it could be repaired, but then people were discussing who on earth was shouting "STOP" from the back of the audience. Well, it wasn't "STOP", and it wasn't from the audience."

;D ;D ;D

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #1881 on: January 26, 2021, 09:51:59 PM »
Oh that's hilarious!  :laugh:
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #1882 on: February 22, 2021, 06:26:44 AM »

Latest #CDReview on ClassicsToday: Mitsuko Uchida’s Second Beethoven Concerto Cycle

Mitsuko Uchida’s slightly-under-the-radar cycle of LvB Piano Concertos w/the @BRSO &
the artless Kurt Sanderling (@deccaclassics) is one of my favorites, therefore her new
such cycle roused my interest...

Offline DavidW

« Reply #1883 on: February 22, 2021, 07:07:14 AM »
Oh so Jens works for Classics Today now! interesting.

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #1884 on: February 23, 2021, 09:46:52 AM »
Oh so Jens works for Classics Today now! interesting.

Oh, but for more than 3 years now. Rather under the radar, apparently. ;-) They kindly took me in pretty much right after the Forbes column was put on ice. The price of admission: Not to contradict David H. in public. (I'm kidding...?)

Offline DavidW

« Reply #1885 on: February 23, 2021, 09:56:44 AM »
Oh, but for more than 3 years now. Rather under the radar, apparently. ;-) They kindly took me in pretty much right after the Forbes column was put on ice. The price of admission: Not to contradict David H. in public. (I'm kidding...?)

Oh lol I didn't realize that was you!

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #1886 on: February 23, 2021, 12:10:48 PM »

Still waiting to see you in one of Hurwitz's youtube video. I suspect you are easier on the eyes.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #1887 on: February 24, 2021, 12:30:22 AM »
That's a rather low hurdle to clear, like a less grating voice.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
« Reply #1888 on: February 24, 2021, 03:55:14 AM »
Still waiting to see you in one of Hurwitz's youtube video. I suspect you are easier on the eyes.

We're separated by an ocean, so that's difficult to do. Well, except if he started to Zoom me in, or something of that sort. Jed Distler and I were planning to do an episode of "Between the keys" from my place, in Vienna, but that was before our friend Covid-19 nixed all travel plans.

Yes, I might be easier on the eyes. But that shouldn't distract from the music!  ;D ;)