The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

<< < (2/388) > >>

BachQ:

--- Quote from: knight on April 06, 2007, 02:39:49 AM ---A whole new world opens up, I can now repeat what I wrote elsewhere!

--- End quote ---

Exactly!  ;D

BachQ:

--- Quote from: Harry on April 06, 2007, 02:46:33 AM ---My favourite works would be all what the fellow has composed, apart from the vocal works that is!

--- End quote ---

Harry,  I agree that his lieder are very much off my radar screen . . . . . .

--- Quote from: knight on April 06, 2007, 02:41:38 AM ---I see we have put the same piece as top,

--- End quote ---

For me, Missa Solemnis took a long time to reach the top, as it had to wrestle beyond the symphonies, sonatas, and concerti.  8)  Piano Concerto no. 4 in G Major was particularly stubborn as my favorite Beethoven work . . . . . . but even it has succumbed to Missa Solemnis . . . . . . . [insert halo smiley]

All things considered, my favorite recording of Missa is Klemperer/New Philharmonia:

knight66:
At to recordings of the Missa....I am still looking for my holy grail, I hear rumours of a stupendous Szell version that is not generally available. In the meantime, I have the 1st Karajan with Janowitz gracing the top line, Toscanini for sheer adrenalin kicks and amongst the other versions I have, the Levine for the way he digs into the second half of the work and manages that balance of certainty and questioning that Beethoven stitched into the piece.

Mike

hornteacher:

--- Quote from: knight on April 06, 2007, 03:10:48 AM ---At to recordings of the Missa....I am still looking for my holy grail.

Mike

--- End quote ---

Gardiner has a marvellous version with the Monteverdi Choir and English Baroque Soloists.  It's a more recent recording but is excellent.

Maciek:
Hey guys, stop teasing me! >:( I only have one recording (Solti) and don't have the assets right now to get 5-10 others. :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version