Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurprisedByBeauty

Slowest and Fastest Adagio of the 9th Symphony

What are the candidates? Bernstein/Vienna/DG takes a staggering 17:52; Pletnev/RNO/DG only 11:43 (faster than, say, P.Jaervi). Does anyone know of any other extremes beyond that?

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on November 02, 2018, 01:16:47 PM
Slowest and Fastest Adagio of the 9th Symphony

What are the candidates? Bernstein/Vienna/DG takes a staggering 17:52; Pletnev/RNO/DG only 11:43 (faster than, say, P.Jaervi). Does anyone know of any other extremes beyond that?

Benjamin Zander, 11:08

https://www.amazon.com/Benjamin-Zander-Conducts-Beethoven-Symphony/dp/B07FKCR9KF/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1541194703&sr=1-24

Jo498

Furtwängler Bayreuth 1951 19:32,
Furtwängler Berlin March 1942 20:04 (according to track list, actual playing times are probably a few seconds shorter)

Norrington/Virgin 11:08
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

The Adagio actually has a comparatively reasonable timing in the Cobra recording.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Madiel

Good grief. Did the performance include a dinner break?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aukhawk

Looks like some of the chorus are nodding off.

Brian

Quote from: Todd on November 03, 2018, 10:34:18 AM

The Adagio actually has a comparatively reasonable timing in the Cobra recording.
110' ... what could possibly justify this.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on November 04, 2018, 04:19:54 AM

Nothing.  The entire cycle is like this.  His recording of Mozart's 25th comes in at over 50', and his recording of the K310 and K331 sonatas requires two discs.  Cobra is, to use the clinical term, a crackpot.

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on November 04, 2018, 04:19:54 AM

Willem Talsma's theory of the variable metronome in  Rebirth of the Classical Composers. I've never read it, by the way, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a connection.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Biffo

Quote from: Todd on November 04, 2018, 04:41:43 AM

Nothing.  The entire cycle is like this.  His recording of Mozart's 25th comes in at over 50', and his recording of the K310 and K331 sonatas requires two discs.  Cobra is, to use the clinical term, a crackpot.

......... or an attention seeker or both

amw

Quote from: Todd on November 04, 2018, 04:41:43 AM

Also most of the "recordings" are MIDI files produced with a commercially available sound library. (Not the Beethoven 9th, but it's obvious if you listen to the sound samples of any of the others.) Basically he just entered all the notes into a sequencer (or, more likely, hired someone else to do it) and then set the tempo to "slow". In terms of grifter quality, he's definitely no Concert Artists.

Todd

Quote from: amw on November 04, 2018, 06:07:33 AM
Also most of the "recordings" are MIDI files produced with a commercially available sound library. (Not the Beethoven 9th, but it's obvious if you listen to the sound samples of any of the others.) Basically he just entered all the notes into a sequencer (or, more likely, hired someone else to do it) and then set the tempo to "slow". In terms of grifter quality, he's definitely no Concert Artists.

Ah, he's another Claudio Colombo.  Good to know.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Mandryka on November 03, 2018, 08:09:34 AM
Maximianno Cobra 21.06

I wouldn't consider that Beethoven. :-)

The only thing that's astounding about that crackpot fake cycle is that he somehow got Erika Miklósa to sing in the performance of the 9th. Well, I suppose Daddy's money will buy anything.

Norrington, huh!? I think I even listened to that. Or maybe just the finale. Should have looked at the notes. Thanks for the reminder. And Furtwangler that long... His Lucerne recording is also pretty long with 19:41 for the Adagio.

Ras

The slowest I can think of in my collection is Solti /Chicago on Decca.: 19:49

The fastest I think is Immerseel /Anima Eterna : 12:32
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Cato

What have done for BEETHOVEN'S BIRTHDAY?!

(Or what will you do tomorrow for his baptismal day?   ;)  )

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

SurprisedByBeauty

The #Beethoven String Quartet Cycle Survey has been updated (+ commentary) with @DGclassics' pure-audio Blu-ray/CD re-issue of the Amadeus Quartet's cycle:

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2017/10/a-survey-of-beethoven-string-quartet.html ...

#Discography

Jo498

I think it is something of a stretch to call the "zeroth" Budapest recordings a cycle but you might want to point out that some (I think in some cases there might be even older acoustic? recordings) of the pre-war recordings were at some stage available on Biddulph.

ASIN: B000EBFMDU op.59/2 and op.130 (w/o 133)
ASIN: B019GRZS86 opp. 18,2,3; 74

As you rightly point out, there is apparently no complete op.18/5 with the ensemble from that time.
I am missing op.59/1 and tbh I don't know if there is a Budapest studio recording before the 1st real cycle of 1951/52, but I think there is. I also suspect that there could be a pre-war op.133, but again, I simply don't know.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Jo498 on March 03, 2019, 07:45:55 AM
I think it is something of a stretch to call the "zeroth" Budapest recordings a cycle but you might want to point out that some (I think in some cases there might be even older acoustic? recordings) of the pre-war recordings were at some stage available on Biddulph.

The recordings exist -- just the re-issues are so incomplete. It's only a tuck, not a stretch.  ;D Thanks for the links & info!