Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: prémont on May 08, 2024, 05:51:22 AMthe theological level of the ode doesn't feel higher than a gathering of drunkards might come up with.

He, he, exactly.  We're all drunk, ergo we're all brothers whose sins have been washed away by beer. Tochter aus Elysium Waitress of the "The Elysium" Pub, another round here!  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

prémont

Quote from: Florestan on May 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AMHe, he, exactly.  We're all drunk, ergo we're all brothers whose sins have been washed away by beer. Tochter aus Elysium Waitress of the "The Elysium" Pub, another round here!  ;D

Spot on. ;D

Was Beethoven's music to the ode just meant in a humorous and ironic way. And how to combine it with the expression of the preceding movements?
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Cato

Quote from: Brian on May 07, 2024, 04:32:38 AMWow!

How long did you stretch out 'O Freunde'?  ;D

Quote from: LKB on May 07, 2024, 03:07:44 PMProbably not very. I only ever performed this solo once, and was nervous. Never got any negative feedback so hopefully it wasn't rushed.  ;D

In the early 1960's I listened to a performance for the first time, in which "Freunde" was pronounced "Fraaay-uuuun-de.

At the time I did not know German.  When I listened to other performances, I wondered about that initial experience, and years later, when I was learning German, I really wondered about it!   ;D

Unfortunately, the recording has faded from my memory!

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

LKB

Quote from: Cato on May 08, 2024, 09:56:19 AM...Unfortunately, the recording has faded from my memory!

Based on your description, I'd call that a win.  ;D
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Madiel

In academia it can be very important to produce original research.

Unfortunately, in certain fields this does not come with any solid requirement to be correct at the same time.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!