Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: George on May 10, 2007, 05:45:42 AM
;D

When Bogey owned this establishment (Beethoven's Bar and Grill) the service was top-notch.  ::)

Here is a shot of the ol' place....

Closed her down as soon as I opened Rick's Cafe Americain ;):

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

BachQ

Bogey, I had forgotton about the Bar & Grill . . . . . . it had been inactive for over six months . . . . . .

But in fairness, I've contacted my lawyers with the goal of transfering a 49% ownership interest in the Bistro to you (or your designee).  :D

BachQ

LvB's cello sonatas had been off my radar screen until Val touted their beauty – especially the slow movements.  Accordingly, I purchased this DVD, which seems to be a no-brainer. 

Here's one short-'n-sweet review: Despite his enormous discography, there's not a very rich visual record of Richter. He and Rostropovich excelled in concert performance, and these DVDs convey their intensity playing some of the best music ever written for the cello. Richter once said in an interview that Beethoven is a matter of life and death, and that feeling comes through quite clearly here. There's a bonus solo piano reading of Mendelssohn's Variations Serieuses, Op. 54, that is dazzling.

BachQ

Other top contenders (other than the above-referenced DVD) for LvB cello sonatas:

Richter/Rostropovich. 

Cortot/Casals

Ashkenazy/Harrell

Also:

Paul Tortelier / Eric Heidsieck

Martha Argerich / Mischa Maisky

HIP versions

Que

Quote from: D Minor on May 11, 2007, 06:38:06 AM
Other top contenders (other than the above-referenced DVD) for LvB cello sonatas:

(...)

HIP versions

Q

George

I saw today in the store:

The Legacy of Maria Yudina

Volume 9

Beethoven Sonatas Op. 31/1, 90, 101 and Violin Sonata Op. 30/1

I know I have heard good things about her, but the CD is $20.

Anyone have it? How is it?

BachQ

Quote from: Que on May 12, 2007, 03:06:16 AM

Q

Well, I just sampled some of these HIP recordings, and I can comfortably assert that the cello sonata repertoire is very well served by HIP performances!  So expressive and intimate was the dialogue between cello and keyboard/fortepiano that I could see Beethoven smiling from above . . . . . . .  :D

BachQ

Quote from: George on May 12, 2007, 12:02:24 PM
I saw today in the store:

The Legacy of Maria Yudina

Volume 9

Beethoven Sonatas Op. 31/1, 90, 101 and Violin Sonata Op. 30/1

I know I have heard good things about her, but the CD is $20.

Anyone have it? How is it?

How could anyone resist this babe:

Drasko

Quote from: D Minor on May 13, 2007, 03:21:07 AM
How could anyone resist this babe:

That is not very gentlemanly of you Minor. She was 69 in that last photo. She might not have been a babe but neither too bad looking when she was young.

BachQ

Releasing 5/15/07 ($26.49)

Julius Katchen performing LvB's PC's, Choral Fantasy, and Diabelli Variations

Release Date: 05/15/2007
Label:  Decca   Catalog #: 000886602   Spars Code: n/a 
Composer:  Ludwig van Beethoven
Performer:  Julius Katchen
Conductor:  Piero Gamba
Orchestra/Ensemble:  London Symphony Orchestra

Number of Discs: 4
Recorded in: Stereo

George

Anyone get this one yet?   The samples sound nice.

SonicMan46

Well, finally decided to order some HIP Beethoven - part of a larger Amazon order below:

Gardiner in the Complete Symphonies - have two other sets, but modern instruments!

Quatuor Mosaïques in the Op. 18 SQs - actually ordered all 3 CDs, just one shown below -  :D

BachQ

Quote from: SonicMan on May 31, 2007, 10:28:45 AM
Well, finally decided to order some HIP Beethoven -

That's a winner, Dave.  One Amazon reviewer calls this the "bloodthirsty Beethoven" .......  :D  :D

karlhenning

Hmm . . . must be "red in tooth and claw," eh, mon vieux?   8)

Steve

Quote from: D Minor on May 31, 2007, 10:37:42 AM
That's a winner, Dave.  One Amazon reviewer calls this the "bloodthirsty Beethoven" .......  :D  :D

We share a love of Gardner, D Minor

This set is priceless.  :)

op.110

What about Herr B's Mass in C Major? I hear it's underrated and one of his best works. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Bogey

Quote from: D Minor on May 11, 2007, 05:01:22 AM
LvB's cello sonatas had been off my radar screen until Val touted their beauty – especially the slow movements.  Accordingly, I purchased this DVD, which seems to be a no-brainer. 
]

D,
This is my  "if you only had one disc" of LvB:

Pablo Casals, Mieczyslaw Horszowski, et. al.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: George on May 16, 2007, 06:13:19 PM

Anyone get this one yet?   The samples sound nice.

Had this cd for about 6 months, got it off the press from Brazil.

Delicate, refined sumptuous playing.  No bang bang from Mr Freire, a winner everyday and twice on Sundays  ;D

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

BachQ

Quote from: Steve on May 31, 2007, 10:43:51 AM
We share a love of Gardner, D Minor

This set is priceless.  :)

Yeah, we're hip to Gardiner ........  :D