Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BachQ

Quote from: op.110 on May 31, 2007, 11:37:01 AM
What about Herr B's Mass in C Major? I hear it's underrated and one of his best works. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Yeah, most of us need a collective C Major Mass shot in the arm: a very often neglected masterpiece.

This bad boy is a bargain:

BachQ

Quote from: Bogey on June 01, 2007, 03:55:56 PM
D,
This is my  "if you only had one disc" of LvB:

Pablo Casals, Mieczyslaw Horszowski, et. al.

Sweet.  There's also Casals/Serkin which is a bargain-and-a-half:

BachQ

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on June 01, 2007, 04:03:03 PM
Had this cd for about 6 months,

...... so what happened to it?  :D ........  >:D

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: D Minor on June 01, 2007, 04:31:30 PM
...... so what happened to it?  :D ........  >:D

Still there on the shelf, sandwiched between two Solomon Testaments.  It makes regular visits to the HiFi  :D

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Bogey

Quote from: D Minor on June 01, 2007, 04:30:43 PM
Sweet.  There's also Casals/Serkin which is a bargain-and-a-half:

The Serkin one was the main one on my radar, but found the other set at a used shop and that took care of things.  However, the purchase of the Casals/Serkin still must happen.  :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on June 01, 2007, 04:03:03 PM
Had this cd for about 6 months, got it off the press from Brazil.

Delicate, refined sumptuous playing.  No bang bang from Mr Freire, a winner everyday and twice on Sundays  ;D

I thought the Walstein was altogether too rushed for me. I haven't heard the rest, but I am sure that it is how you describe.  :)

George

Quote from: Bogey on June 01, 2007, 04:51:36 PM
The Serkin one was the main one on my radar, but found the other set at a used shop and that took care of things.  However, the purchase of the Casals/Serkin still must happen.  :)

As it must for this listener. Evening, buddy.  :)

BachQ

Quote from: Bogey on June 01, 2007, 04:51:36 PM

I have yet to visit a used CD shop ........ I think I'm missing out .........  :'(

BachQ

Artur Rubinstein performing LvB's 4th Piano Concerto

1st movement
2d movement
3d movement

Haffner

Anyone hear Anthony Newman's HiP playing of LvB's 4th? i can't remember the conductor, bu it was quite good (and cheap!). the 3rd movement is particularly captivating. They do the 2nd PC on that disc as well, which comes out sounding even more Mozart-ian than it was to begin with.

Scriptavolant

Does anyone, by any chance, happen to know something about the 60 Cds Set attached? Has the theme already been tackled in this topic?
Any suggestion? I find it quite cheap (50€) and I'm greedy.

Maciek

When it's large box sets you're talking about, Harry always has something to say. ;D

But I don't think the subject has been broached in this thread, and I'm interested too. I understand there's also a cheap 50CD set from another label?

What interests me especially is what Que asked about once (and he never got a reply, at least not that I've noticed): are the CDs packed in separate jewel boxes? This is important for those of us who probably wouldn't want every single CD in the set and would want to resell some of them.

Maciek

BachQ

Quote from: Doctor_Gradus on June 04, 2007, 05:57:28 PM
Does anyone, by any chance, happen to know something about the 60 Cds Set attached? Has the theme already been tackled in this topic?

That's the Arte Nova 60 CD set that Harry was raving about .......

PAGING HARRY ......... PAGING HARRY ...........PAGING HARRY ......... PAGING HARRY ...........PAGING HARRY .........

Florestan

Here's a bargain not to be missed.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Harry

Quote from: Doctor_Gradus on June 04, 2007, 05:57:28 PM

Oke my dear friend, I received this box some while ago, and am sampling through the box, and you have cause for greediness, for apart from the vocal works, but that is personal, I will not play, its full of excellent recordings, Symphonies, and piano/Violin concertos Zinman most beautiful, SQ, Alexander Quartet, awesome, and I could go on eternally.
By all means buy it, its dead cheap, and worth your money triple.

Harry

Quote from: D Minor on June 05, 2007, 03:25:38 AM
That's the Arte Nova 60 CD set that Harry was raving about .......

PAGING HARRY ......... PAGING HARRY ...........PAGING HARRY ......... PAGING HARRY ...........PAGING HARRY .........

Yes, yes, all right, I am here answering all questions concerning this box.
A note of caution however, the box is big, the cd's would fit in it thrice. Packed in flimsy paper sleeves, and all the texts and libretti on a cd rom, in English and German, PDF format. I did get for free a little stature of Beethoven with it, nice............

Harry

Quote from: MrOsa on June 05, 2007, 01:14:03 AM
When it's large box sets you're talking about, Harry always has something to say. ;D

But I don't think the subject has been broached in this thread, and I'm interested too. I understand there's also a cheap 50CD set from another label?

What interests me especially is what Que asked about once (and he never got a reply, at least not that I've noticed): are the CDs packed in separate jewel boxes? This is important for those of us who probably wouldn't want every single CD in the set and would want to resell some of them.

Maciek

Large boxes, hmmmmmmmmmmm, really?
This EMI set you are talking about cannot reach the quality the Arte Nova/Sony set has.
The cd's are packed in papersleeves, alas.
I will not sell, but trade all the vocal recordings with anyone on the board, so please let me know if you are interested! :)

Novi

Quote from: Florestan on June 05, 2007, 06:25:20 AM
Here's a bargain not to be missed.

Florestan, how does this one compare with his DG set?
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

BachQ

Quote from: Harry on June 05, 2007, 11:48:49 AM
Oke my dear friend, I received this box some while ago, and am sampling through the box, and you have cause for greediness, for apart from the vocal works, but that is personal, I will not play, its full of excellent recordings, Symphonies, and piano/Violin concertos Zinman most beautiful, SQ, Alexander Quartet, awesome, and I could go on eternally.
By all means buy it, its dead cheap, and worth your money triple.

Harry, that's good and bad news.  :D

Good because you've answered the question ......  0:)

Bad because now I want it ! ! ! !  >:D

BachQ

There is also a 2007 boxset of 87 CD's supposedly containing all of LvB's 748 works ("Beethoven Complete Edition").

"Beethoven Complete Edition"