Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on June 06, 2007, 11:35:48 AM
Adagio sostenuto

Hmmmmm ....... such an obscure choice ..........  >:D

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on June 06, 2007, 04:41:20 AM
I wonder why this thread doesn't draw paulb back . . . .

8)

This thread has been specifically designed to be paulb proof  :D ......... And all internal and external links to Pettersson have been banned .........  >:D

karlhenning

Quote from: D Minor on June 06, 2007, 11:39:46 AM
Hmmmmm ....... such an obscure choice ..........  >:D

Obscure? Befitting something illuminated by the moon, I suppose . . . .

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on June 06, 2007, 11:56:54 AM
Obscure? Befitting something illuminated by the moon, I suppose . . . .

........ That's what I meant .........  >:D

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on June 06, 2007, 07:24:37 AM
In the movie itself, there is a charming allusion in the soundtrack to the Opus 27 No 2.

.......... So the Moonlight Sonata was merely "alluded to" .......... Indirectly? ..........

karlhenning

Quote from: D Minor on June 06, 2007, 12:04:35 PM
.......... So the Moonlight Sonata was merely "alluded to" .......... Indirectly? ..........

The arpeggio gets going, and you're waiting for the "tune," but it doesn't come, and the arpeggiated harmonies go elsewhere.  Very nice set up, and sonically evasive maneuvers  8)

It's when they're descending from the moon (where Robin Williams is King), on a ladder woven from some of Queen Ariadne's hair . . . .

FideLeo

Movie showing at the bistro:

Despite some oddities (Ludwig got married in this one) the biopic is quite superbly acted and therefore with checking out by fans: 

Un grand amour de Beethoven

Harry Baur: Beethoven
Jean-Louis Barrault: Karl

dir. Abel Gance

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

SonicMan46

Quote from: fl.traverso on June 07, 2007, 02:15:43 AM
Movie showing at the bistro:

Despite some oddities (Ludwig got married in this one) the biopic is quite superbly acted and therefore with checking out by fans: 

Un grand amour de Beethoven

Harry Baur: Beethoven
Jean-Louis Barrault: Karl

dir. Abel Gance

LOL -  ;D  I swear those guys looked like two of the 3 Stooges, just different hairdoos!  ;) :D

karlhenning

Quote from: fl.traverso on June 07, 2007, 02:15:43 AM
Despite some oddities . . .

Jean-Louis Barrault: Karl . . .

? ? ?

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan on June 07, 2007, 08:13:00 AM
LOL -  ;D  I swear those guys looked like two of the 3 Stooges, just different hairdoos!  ;) :D

LOL!!!!!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

FideLeo

Quote from: karlhenning on June 07, 2007, 09:22:29 AM
? ? ?

???

EDIT:  I think I got it now.  There have always been guys named Karl, including
Beethoven's trouble of a nephew.  Barrault played that character. 
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

FideLeo

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

FideLeo

Quote from: Bogey on June 07, 2007, 11:05:57 AM
You are a good sport fl.   :)

I have actually found the Stooges to be quite irritating.  Max Brothers suit me
better ;D

SonicMan46

Well, to get back on track -  ;) :)  I have been listening to a LOT of Beethoven today - received the 2 Brilliant Box sets below (2-CDs per box @ only $10 each set!):

Complete String Trios & String Quintets w/ Zurich String Quintet & String Trio (same performers) - these are mostly early works in a more 'classic' style (Haydn & Mozart influences), and played by the Zurich groups in a more reserved fashion; well done, refined string playing, and excellent recorded sound.  CLICK on the images for comments from several different sources; my only other recording of the Trios is w/ Grumiaux, which I've had & enjoyed for years (but nearly twice the price @ Amazon!) - the Leopold group on Hyperion has also received great reviews in the Trios -  :D

BachQ

George offers some comments on pianist Maria Yudina's BEETHOVEN here

Does she play like a tractor or a tempest?  Read and find out ........

BachQ

Quote from: SonicMan on June 07, 2007, 01:01:34 PM
Well, to get back on track - 

SonicMan ....... I like the way you derail a thread, and then neatly, seamlessly get it back on track!  Very nice!  :D

SonicMan46

Quote from: D Minor on June 07, 2007, 02:35:22 PM
SonicMan ....... I like the way you derail a thread, and then neatly, seamlessly get it back on track!  Very nice!  :D

D Minor - thought that you would like that 'transition' -  ;)  Dave  :D

BachQ

Quote from: SonicMan on June 07, 2007, 03:09:52 PM
D Minor - thought that you would like that 'transition' -  ;)  Dave  :D

....... please remind me to extend you a similar courtesy when I derail one of your threads! ....... :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: D Minor on June 07, 2007, 03:42:12 PM
....... please remind me to extend you a similar courtesy when I derail one of your threads! ....... :D

Hell, you're derailing this one right now!  :o

Today I got the original version of Fidelio ("Lenore" - 1805). This one here (Staatskapelle Dresden / Blomstedt):

I have always wanted an opportunity to compare with the end result of 1814, and finally found what purports to be a nice, complete version. Anyone familiar with it?   :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)