Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M forever

To begin with, she can actually play the pieces.

Mandryka

Does anyone know how I can get hold of Fiorentino's Beethoven cycle ? I have become really curious about this pianist recently.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

George

Quote from: Mandryka on March 08, 2009, 06:28:02 AM
Does anyone know how I can get hold of Fiorentino's Beethoven cycle ? I have become really curious about this pianist recently.

I found this info on a discography of LvB sets:

"Fiorentino, Sergio - 8 CDs released on Concert Artist / Fidelio, recorded 1961-6. Missing only Sonata no.29?"

Sorry, I don't know where you can buy them.

Dr. Dread

Kissin's LvB Concertos are supposed to be veeeeeery romantic. Anyone know?

Todd

Quote from: Mn Dave on March 12, 2009, 06:53:20 AMKissin's LvB Concertos are supposed to be veeeeeery romantic. Anyone know?

I have the set, and I don't know if I'd describe it as very romatic.  (I'm not sure how each person would define that anyway.)  On the romantic side of things, I suppose, but also modern and a bit indulgent on Kissin's part.  It's better than I thought it would be, and the 2nd and 5th both beat out his earlier recording.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Todd on March 12, 2009, 06:58:00 AM

I have the set, and I don't know if I'd describe it as very romatic.  (I'm not sure how each person would define that anyway.)  On the romantic side of things, I suppose, but also modern and a bit indulgent on Kissin's part.  It's better than I thought it would be, and the 2nd and 5th both beat out his earlier recording.

Cool. I'm getting it from the library and was wondering. You hear so little about Kissin here on GMG.

George

Quote from: Mn Dave on March 12, 2009, 07:00:17 AM
You hear so little about Kissin here on GMG.

Perhaps because a real collector doesn't Kissin and tell? 

SonicMan46

Well, I can't comment on Kissin in these works, but did just received the 3-CD set below w/ Kuerti, but have not given the discs a listen yet - purchase based on an 'urgent recommendation' by Jerry Dubins in the Mar-Apr '09 issue of Fanfare, and further supported by Scott Morrison's laudatory remarks on Amazon HERE; finally, the re-packaging makes a bargain set @ $13 on the Marketplace!   :D

Dr. Dread

Quote from: SonicMan on March 12, 2009, 07:13:14 AM
Well, I can't comment on Kissin in these works, but did just received the 3-CD set below w/ Kuerti, but have not given the discs a listen yet - purchase based on an 'urgent recommendation' by Jerry Dubins in the Mar-Apr '09 issue of Fanfare, and further supported by Scott Morrison's laudatory remarks on Amazon HERE; finally, the re-packaging makes a bargain set @ $13 on the Marketplace!   :D

Ha! See my post in the consideration of purchase thread.

Todd

Quote from: SonicMan on March 12, 2009, 07:13:14 AMWell, I can't comment on Kissin in these works, but did just received the 3-CD set below

That Kuerti set is one of the best things he's recorded, and bests the Kissin set.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SonicMan46

Quote from: Todd on March 14, 2009, 07:42:48 PM

That Kuerti set is one of the best things he's recorded, and bests the Kissin set.

Hi Todd - embarassed that I missed your usual superb review!  :-[  Tomorrow, I'm plannig to listen to this Beethoven cycle and now expect a great experience!  Thanks for the comments - Dave  :)

Guido

The Presto of op.130 is maybe my favourite fast movement in all of Beethoven. So quirky, so original, so imaginative, so mysterious, so charming, so pithy!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Brian

Ashamed I had to go all the way to page 5 to find this thread... no posts in almost 2 months???

Anyways:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BEETHOVEN!!

MN Dave

Henk

Which Piano Concertos recordings do you recommend? I'm not satisfied with my Haitink / Perahia set.

George

Quote from: Henk on December 16, 2009, 08:30:08 AM
Which Piano Concertos recordings do you recommend? I'm not satisfied with my Haitink / Perahia set.

Russell Sherman/Nuemann - (if the slow movement of the 2nd PC is defective, as it is on many copies, have no fear, I've uploaded it to mediafire - http://www.mediafire.com/?a2c40zjmnk4)
At any rate, this set is something special, with great depth of expression and lovely sonics, all at a bargain basement price. Everyone should own this one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HRME3C/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00005QDI0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0Y1CP8QY6RPPV7B2164J

OR

Serkin/Kubelik - An old hand plays beautifully and powerfully in superb sound.
http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Die-Klavierkonzerte-Chorfantasie-Op/dp/B0009VNCT6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1260988346&sr=1-2

Brahmsian

Quote from: MN-D4V3 on December 16, 2009, 08:27:38 AM
Checks iPod...

Yay! String trios...

Very nice, I love the string trios.  Which group/recording?

MN Dave

Quote from: Brahmsian on December 16, 2009, 09:38:03 AM

Grumiaux Philips Duo thingy...

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brahmsian on December 16, 2009, 09:38:03 AM

Ray - I own the 'bargain' 2-CD set on Brilliant w/ the Zurich String Trio; recorded in 2002 - Jerry Dubin's comments quoted HERE - may put the first disc on next for our dinner music!  Dave  :D