Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uffeviking

Illustration:

Bogey

Quote from: uffeviking on June 14, 2007, 03:11:44 PM
Eroica a film about a symphony! Can it be done? I was wondering and now I know it's possible. BBC Classical Music Television did an outstanding job with making Beethoven's Eroica into a luscious film.

The real action is the playing of the symphony, one movement after the other, with a handfull of people adding interest and comments. It's all about Beethoven taking his latest work to a performance at the palace of Prince Lobkowitz in Vienna. The assembled orchestra gets the libretto, looks at it, mumbles and then starts playing, but only the first few notes because it's all  so different and bewildering. Now that's what I call sight-seeing at it's extreme. Those musicians must have been outstanding. Beethoven does give some instructions and now and then conducts, but most of the time they have to rely on their concert master, who is played by a real life violinist of the Orchestra Révolutionnaire Romantique. Most of the members of the actor orchestra are members of John Eliot Gardiner's band. He does the real conducting.

Ian Hart does a great job acting the temperamental Beethoven and Tim Pigott-Smith of the old TV series The Jewel in the Crown plays a bad guy - again! - Count Dietrichstein, who doesn't think much of this new, confused piece of music. Yes, there is a pretty lady to take care of Ludwig's love interest but the Eroica is actually the star of the film. Very well done indeed!

Absolutely love this film!  Wish I knew the historical inaccuracies, if there are any.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

uffeviking

Ah! You have seen it and love it!  :)

I am not familiar with Beethoven's biographical data but probably our 'ancient' music adorer will know all about that. On the other hand, I think the poor lad does not have a DVD player, so he can't help us. The story about the baroness Ludwig wanted to marry is news to me, as is the fact she had to refuse him because of an Austrian law against her marriage to a commoner.

Bogey

Quote from: uffeviking on June 14, 2007, 06:13:40 PM

I am not familiar with Beethoven's biographical data but probably our 'ancient' music adorer will know all about that. On the other hand, I think the poor lad does not have a DVD player, so he can't help us. The story about the baroness Ludwig wanted to marry is news to me, as is the fact she had to refuse him because of an Austrian law against her marriage to a commoner.

Seen it....and bought it a few days later.  I wished it would of been longer, had the entire symphony, as it does, and then went on with more story.  Definitely a favorite here.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

BachQ

Another Eroica DVD worthy of purchase .........

Hector

Quote from: uffeviking on June 14, 2007, 06:13:40 PM

No, no, no, she would lose her status if she married a commoner.

Her point was that she could not afford to do that what with her children and all.

This is one of the historical inacuracies put in to add to the dramatic tension, like wheeling on Haydn  at the end ("Papa").

It has lines like: "This changes music forever, doesn't it?"

Enjoyable tosh!

uffeviking

Quote from: Hector on June 15, 2007, 05:48:19 AM
No, no, no, she would lose her status if she married a commoner.

That's what the Austrian law I mentioned in my post is all about. She would also lose the custody of her four children.

karlhenning

Quote from: Hector on June 15, 2007, 05:48:19 AM
It has lines like: "This changes music forever, doesn't it?"

Quoth Harrison Ford on the set of Star Wars:

Quote from: FordYou can write this crap, George, but you can't say it.

BachQ

I'm doing my part to advertise Bogey's Beethoven-related threads (click on link below):

LvB Lieder

Click on the link above ........

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: D Minor on June 15, 2007, 06:57:45 AM
I'm doing my part to advertise Bogey's Beethoven-related threads

I'd like to help Bogey but as much as I love Lieder and Beethoven, I have not a single Beethoven Lied. I've been watching the thread, hoping to see some good recommendations.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: uffeviking on June 14, 2007, 03:11:44 PM
Eroica a film about a symphony! Can it be done? I was wondering and now I know it's possible. BBC Classical Music Television did an outstanding job with making Beethoven's Eroica into a luscious film.

I bought this recently, along with Ken Russell's Mahler. I watched Mahler first and I'm still trying to recover from that! I'll probably watch Eroica this weekend.

Sarge

karlhenning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 15, 2007, 07:15:03 AM
I watched Mahler first and I'm still trying to recover from that!

I could not possibly comment, Sarge  8)

Haffner

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 15, 2007, 07:15:03 AM
I bought this recently, along with Ken Russell's Mahler. I watched Mahler first and I'm still trying to recover from that! I'll probably watch Eroica this weekend.

Sarge

How was "Mahler"?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Haffner on June 15, 2007, 07:17:44 AM

How was "Mahler"?

Uh... Stunning...but not in a good way  ;D

Sarge

uffeviking

Still looking for Beethoven songs? I found this:

"Beethoven - Irish, Welsh and Scottish Songs
Sophie Daneman (soprano); Paul Agnew (tenor); Peter Harvey (baritone)
Alix Verzier (cello); Alessandro Moccia (violin); Jérôme Hantaï (fortepiano)
Naïve E8850 (texts and translations in English, French and German)

Far more pleasing to the music-lover in general is this selection from Beethoven's folksong settings. The three singers are all veterans of the baroque movement but nonetheless manage to convey a certain freshness. The selections are brilliantly contrasted so that one never tires, while Beethoven always amazes us with the variety he provides for the accompaniments. Singers and instrumentalists are attuned to every nuance, so that unalloyed delight is our reward."

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Haffner on June 15, 2007, 07:17:44 AM
How was "Mahler"?

I'd seen a few Ken Russell film biographies before: Savage Messiah, about the sculptor Henri Gaudier, and The Music Lovers, about Tchaikovsky. So I knew what to expect: liberties taken with the facts, over-the-top emotionalism, offensive images, sophomoric symbolism. In Mahler, Russell didn't disappoint those expections but carried them to an entirely new level.  ;D

Mahler's conversion to Christianity featured a leather clad and helmeted Cosima Wagner as Christian/Nazi/goddess, making Gustav literally jump through hoops. Mahler dreams of his death and funeral, with Alma dancing on his coffin during a song and dance production number, while Storm Troopers carry him to the crematorium. The final scene though, Mahler and Alma walking happily together and Mahler shouting joyously, "We're going to live forever" packs a real emotional punch because we know he's only got a week or so to live. And the soundtrack is great   ;D

Sarge

Bogey

Quote from: uffeviking on June 15, 2007, 07:34:12 AM
Still looking for Beethoven songs? I found this:

"Beethoven - Irish, Welsh and Scottish Songs
Sophie Daneman (soprano); Paul Agnew (tenor); Peter Harvey (baritone)
Alix Verzier (cello); Alessandro Moccia (violin); Jérôme Hantaï (fortepiano)
Naïve E8850 (texts and translations in English, French and German)

Far more pleasing to the music-lover in general is this selection from Beethoven's folksong settings. The three singers are all veterans of the baroque movement but nonetheless manage to convey a certain freshness. The selections are brilliantly contrasted so that one never tires, while Beethoven always amazes us with the variety he provides for the accompaniments. Singers and instrumentalists are attuned to every nuance, so that unalloyed delight is our reward."

Yes I am....and thank you very much!

George

Quote from: Bogey on June 15, 2007, 07:40:45 AM
Yes I am....and thank you very much!

I posted some thoughts on your thread as well, Bill.  :)

Bogey

Quote from: George on June 15, 2007, 07:42:20 AM
I posted some thoughts on your thread as well, Bill.  :)

Got that one too George....at least there are some choices to be had.  :)